66% of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Almost one year after the introduction of Windows 7 it appears that the hype surrounding it has faded. The overall market share of Windows has turned into a slight decline again. Windows 7 is gaining share, but cannot keep pace with the loss of Windows XP and Vista. Especially Windows XP users seem to be happy with what they have and appear to be rather resistant to Microsoft's pitches that it is time to upgrade to Windows 7.

K

kaikai

I guess that is because users prefer usability rather than high performance lately.
I suppose that Microsoft doesn't know about waht's going on in the market trend (shift of user's demand).

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I use XP, being sure to buy a computer loaded with both so I can stay with the familiar and functional OS as long as practical. I have the bells and whistles turned off so it runs faster. My son likes using Windows 7, though.

I swapped my old XP setup for 7 when I needed to reinstall anyway. It has worked like a charm, providing much improved stability (Not a single reboot due to system issues yet, and that is but a wee bit short of a miracle as far as I am concerned: I am known to subject my computers to a lot of strain).

By now I am also quite used to it and have no intention of going back to XP.

/Claes

Last edited:
S

samsung

I use XP both at home and office as well and like it very much. I haven't so far used Windows 7 but tried 'Vista' which I had to remove within a week following to lot of troubles including slow response to file access.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Similar to samsung, I always use XP despite changing computers. Its a good product and meets the expectations. After using Vista, I strongly felt that not all new products are good and thus prefer to stick to XP until something stupendous gets introduced. :)

My theory is that 66% of all users use what they are told to use at work and whatever the computer came loaded with at home.
And my theory is that that theory has a lot of merit:

If an IT dep has a system up and running with no major problems, they cannot be expected to be very eager to go through all the hassle, red tape, costs and training of staff an upgrade brings. If the only major difference for the users turns out to be a prettier interface... Forget it.

/Claes

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
And my theory is that that theory has a lot of merit:

If an IT dep has a system up and running with no major problems, they cannot be expected to be very eager to go through all the hassle, red tape, costs and training of staff an upgrade brings. If the only major difference for the users turns out to be a prettier interface... Forget it.

/Claes

Yes, in one of my ex organizations, the IT dept ran a survey if the users would like to have Windows 7 but the results overwhelmingly rejected the proposal :tg:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
At work I have Windows 7. Most people here still have XP and only people who are getting new computers are being upgraded.

At home I have XP on the family PC. When I upgrade that hardware I'll switch to a Mac.

Really - OS upgrades are really nonsensical for most people because most people aren't power users.
why spend $60-$70 upgrade to Windows 7 home premium from XP, or even Vista, if all you do is internet, email, iTunes, and some games?

Top Bottom