7.1.5.2 -- Calibration

Rocket27

Involved In Discussions
Good afternoon,

I have read through 7.1.5 in the standard and just want to ensure that there is no specific authority over a Calibration process (Quality Manger, OPs manager…)?

As long as the responsibility and authority is established for our Calibration procedure, who owns it is not an issue, correct? Communication being received here is the Quality department must maintain and establish the calibration procedures (even though it is the responsibility of everyone using the measurement equipment).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

qualitymanagerTT

Involved In Discussions
Just as Randy said, competence of both the "owner" and users is a requirement.

If someone incorrectly uses a measuring device and gets an incorrect result which meets the acceptance criteria, this will affect "the performance and effectiveness of the quality management system" if the measurement result was used to authorize shipment of product, or delivery of a service, which was actually nonconforming (i.e., the true measurement result was outside of the acceptance criteria).

I would ask if the Quality Department personnel have the competence, and can provide resources to implement the procedure.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Does your organization have policies and procedures that state that Quality owns the calibration process?
If so, then Quality owns it. If not, then somebody else does.
It would behoove you all to determine who owns Calibration and document that.

Rocket27

Involved In Discussions
Just as Randy said, competence of both the "owner" and users is a requirement.

If someone incorrectly uses a measuring device and gets an incorrect result which meets the acceptance criteria, this will affect "the performance and effectiveness of the quality management system" if the measurement result was used to authorize shipment of product, or delivery of a service, which was actually nonconforming (i.e., the true measurement result was outside of the acceptance criteria).

I would ask if the Quality Department personnel have the competence, and can provide resources to implement the procedure.

Thank you, I will check up on training for the personnel in charge and the personnel using the gages.

Rocket27

Involved In Discussions
Does your organization have policies and procedures that state that Quality owns the calibration process?
If so, then Quality owns it. If not, then somebody else does.
It would behoove you all to determine who owns Calibration and document that.

Thank you, the procedures are a work in process. This is why I asked, so it can be clearly defined in our procedures. Wanted to just verify its not always a Quality thing.

Top Bottom