7.3.2.1 - Maintainability???

D

Dave Johnson

Hello All

In the 3rd bullet of 7.3.2.1 (Product design input), the standard references identifying targets for product "maintainability."

Does anyone know what this means?

Is it PM, simplicity of manufacture, how long we will be able to manufacture the product, or something else?

I sure could use a definition. I'm sure we do it under a different name, but I don't want to say so in our documentation, without a clue about what it means.

thanks in advance.
daj

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tomvehoski

Maintainability would look at how easy it is to service or maintain the product you make. Example inputs might be:

1. Must have redundant backup so as not to shut down assembly line.
2. Must be able to change fuses in < 5 minutes.
3. Belts must last 20000 hours
4. Must go 200,000 miles before replacement is necessary

If you were designing an electronic controller and #2 was an input, you would want to locate the fuses in an easily accessable panel - not buried under three circuit boards you need to remove with special tools first. Also should not be soldered in fuses.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam

Definition:
ANSIASQC Standard A3 (ANSI 1978) states;
"the ability of an item under stated conditions to be retained in, or restored to, within a given period of time, a specified in which it can perform its required functions when maintenance is performed under stated conditioons and while using prescribed procedures and resources."
For targets think MTBF - mean time between failures,
MDT - Mean downtime,
MTTR - Mean time to Repair.

D

Dave Johnson

thanks!!!!

Tom and Sam:
Thanks for your insight. You'e both been a BIG help. (not only for this question, but in your other posts as well)

Many genuflections!
daj

A

Al Dyer

When thinking maintainability it might be good to keep the term stability in the back of your mind. At times they can work hahn in hand.

Al...

Top Bottom