7.4 Purchasing - Purchase Orders & Retention

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
If Purchase Orders (from an Organization to its Suppliers) are Documents that provide specifications for a limited duration, as opposed to internal Manufacturing Specifications that typically are only limited to a product or process; and 7.4 does not require records for "ensuring adequacy of specified purchase requirements prior to their communication to the supplier," then I do not have to retain Closed Purchase Orders?

Doug

D

db

I would tend to agree. The recordkeeping requirement in 7.4 deals with vendor evaluations. With that said, however, you might want to investigate other reasons for keeping records. Even though the standard does not require records, you might find some other reason (although not mandated) for maintaining closed purchase orders.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
db said:
I would tend to agree. The recordkeeping requirement in 7.4 deals with vendor evaluations. With that said, however, you might want to investigate other reasons for keeping records. Even though the standard does not require records, you might find some other reason (although not mandated) for maintaining closed purchase orders.
I think the point many of us would agree upon is that the Purchase Order (or copy) from your organization to a supplier probably does not have to be kept as a "Quality" record (like supplier's or your inspection reports, product traceability records, etc.) once it is closed out if the information contained in that P.O. is available somewhere else. If the P.O. is accompanied by your or your customer's engineering drawing, a copy of that drawing "might" be kept with your inspection record.

db's suggestion is easy to understand if you think about your organization's accounting department or your purchasing department's needs to follow up with a supplier for new or continuing business - but those departments would keep them and they probably are not in your QMS purview.

Top Bottom