7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment - Monitoring vs. Measuring

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all
I spent too much time for finding a clear definition for monitoring and measurement and their differences.
These are definitions stated in ISO Guidance on some of the frequently used words found in the ISO 9000 family of standards:
Measure (verb): ascertain size, amount, or performance of (something) by comparison with a standard unit or with an object of known size
Monitor (verb): observe and check over a period of time; maintain regular close observation over
I think in the above definition the term over a period of time can be noticeable.
Here there are some cases or questions that I could not find the right answer
1- In a heat treatment process, there is a sensor which measures the furnace temperature and the operator regularly checks the temperature. Is this sensor a monitoring devise? If so, there is no requirement for its calibration. Certainty, It can not be true. Temperature is a key factor in heart treatment.
2- Is there any product characteristic which is monitored? Or all product characteristics are measured. What about manufacturing processes parameters? Are they monitored only?
3- In our organization, we calculate the process Cpk. Is this process monitoring or measurement?
4- In our organization there are a lot of pressure gauges which are used for indicating the pressure of inlet air for assembly line tools. Are these monitoring equipment?
5- And finally, some product characteristics are checked by operator sense such as a gearbox noise at final test. Is the operator as equipment?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: 7.6 control of monitoring and measuring equipment-monitoring vs. measuring

Hi all
I spent too much time for finding a clear definition for monitoring and measurement and their differences.
These are definitions stated in ISO Guidance on some of the frequently used words found in the ISO 9000 family of standards:
Measure (verb): ascertain size, amount, or performance of (something) by comparison with a standard unit or with an object of known size
Monitor (verb): observe and check over a period of time; maintain regular close observation over
I think in the above definition the term over a period of time can be noticeable.
Here there are some cases or questions that I could not find the right answer
1- In a heat treatment process, there is a sensor which measures the furnace temperature and the operator regularly checks the temperature. Is this sensor a monitoring devise? If so, there is no requirement for its calibration. Certainty, It can not be true. Temperature is a key factor in heart treatment.
2- Is there any product characteristic which is monitored? Or all product characteristics are measured. What about manufacturing processes parameters? Are they monitored only?
3- In our organization, we calculate the process Cpk. Is this process monitoring or measurement?
4- In our organization there are a lot of pressure gauges which are used for indicating the pressure of inlet air for assembly line tools. Are these monitoring equipment?
5- And finally, some product characteristics are checked by operator sense such as a gearbox noise at final test. Is the operator as equipment?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

I think that the two term are interelated. Monitoring usually means "to take under control with something or in some fashion", measurement means to take a measure indicating a parameter . I would tend to say that we can monitoring collecting some measurements for your process and analysing them over the time ( specific time base). For this purpose you shall have processes in place as 7.6 clause states.:bigwave:

C

Chance

Re: 7.6 control of monitoring and measuring equipment-monitoring vs. measuring

IMHO, it is not the argument of whether it is monitoring or measurement. If equipment has a critical use like to give the right temperature and to make sure that expectation is met, then the equipment has to have some type of proof of evidence that it is giving accurate results. ISO requires a control in order to avoid unwanted outcome due to inaccuracy of equipment.

Top Bottom