8.1.2 Knowledge of basic statistical concepts

P

paulnguyen

Hi there,

The 8.1.2 of the TS says:
"Basic statistical concepts, such as variation, control (stability), process capability and over-adjustment shall be understood and utilized throughout the organization"

Is it appropriate to interpret that this only applies to "personnel who directly impact quality of the products" or this is the case where everybody including the caretaker, receptionist... etc. must understand those concepts.

Please input.

Thanks
:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Paul - A quick answer to your question is that not everyone is required to understand the concepts. You will be safe in your interpretation.

IMHO, I don't think the statement applies to individuals. I believe the concepts need to be understood on a variety of levels within the organization. The requirement also states that this understanding should be utilized throughout the organization.

Strictly speaking, if you had one statistician who understood all the concepts and implemented systems throughout the company that utilized those concepts - you meet the requirements.

It is a tough road to teach everybody who directly impacts quality the basic statistical concepts. It is an even tougher road to demonstrate that they understand what they have learned. Any training you give will not go to waste, but it makes no economic sense to train everybody.

Again - just my humble opinion.

Dave

IMHO, I don't think the statement applies to individuals
Interesting view Dave. I think that there will be some auditors who disagree with your opinion. This could lead to nit-picking and stating that the receptionist must know about over-adjustment. Stupid? You bet, but it will happen! Your comments tend to lend themselves to the ‘practical’ application of the standard, and we cannot tolerate anything that is practical or makes sense. :bonk:

S

sxbalasu

Statistics

I agree with both Dave and DB in a sense that training never go waste but variation occurs everywhere in a business process. Even a receptionist, caretaker. The way they receive people will vary and that is a variation. Also the satisfaction of the customer who visits them may vary according to the receptionist behaviour with that particular guy so as far as i am concerned where ever you see human beings you have variation and it is inherent. Any auditor can pick this up and ask questions. So it is better to conduct a training session to all employees regarding variation may be the intent of the training session can vary with regard to their work environement.
This is my humble opinion

D

D.Scott

Siv - your point is valid and well made, however you have to determine the value of idealism with that of economic reality.

I teach a 4 hour basic statstic class to selected employees. To address every employee would mean 597 employees at an average of $15 per hour X 4 hours = $35,820.

The benefit to my company of having the receptionist understand her variation simply doesn't stack up. I am a proponent of good quality techniques and practices, but this is another case where you can "regulate" way past sensability.

If the quality techniques you use don't add value to your company or to your customer, why in the world would you waste your time and money doing it? There are far too many companies suffering under the present economy and far too many quality programs suffering because of cutbacks. Maybe if we stopped worrying about regulatory enforcement and went back to doing what makes sense, we could all concentrate on making good product as well as earning some money in the process.

Obviously, this is simply my opinion and each company has to determine its own "bang-for-the-buck".

Dave

S

sxbalasu

YOu are right

Dear Dave:
I agree totally what you say. With present economic conditions it is always better to train or educate guys who will add value to the customer. I was of the opinion that total quality commitment should start from top and spread down all the way to the lowest employer.
Thanks for your valuable suggestion
thanks

P

paulnguyen

Thank you for your valuable input,

I met with my registrar yesterday and brought up this issue.
The response to ME was:

- Yes, it applies to everybody
- But, not everbody is required to have the same complete level of understanding the concepts
- Some people will have to go really deep into it (quality personnel), some people will just have to understand the meaning of the trend chart, average, etc.
- The issue is left with the organization to determine who needs what (it is now linked to 6.2.2 "Competence, awareness and training")

This is, again, MY registrar's interpretation of the clause and in my opinion, it makes sence in my company.

Thanks again.

Everyone knows trend chart

some people will just have to understand the meaning of the trend chart, average, etc.
This is what I was fearing. An auditor thinking that everyone needs to know the basics. If someone is not involved in statistical recording or analysis, they why would they have to know anything about it? It just sounds silly to me!

P

paulnguyen

Hi Dave,

This is what the auditor "hints" me regarding the receptionist:

If the receptionist' job requires an activity of monitoring phone calls, her/his job description must clearly say so, of-cause. The need of understanding the average, trends, etc. to help fulfil this task must be identified by the company which will triggle the training matrix needed for the receptionist.

In case of the caretaker, if his/her job doesnot require anything related to SPC, his/her training matrix doesnot list the requirement of understanding it.

In-short, the auditor hints, it's up to you to determine the needs. Of-cause it is auditable; well, all clauses in the TS are.

Regards.

M

M Greenaway

The bottom line in any training is that you only train the people who need to know, and only to an appropriate level. SPC training is no different, and why it was highlighted in QS9000 god only knows.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G 8.1.2 - Knowledge of basic statistical concepts - Seeking Training Advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
N Knowledge of basic statistical concepts - TS 16949 Clause 8.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
L Lean Book for Basic Knowledge Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
L Seeking help in Basic Maintenance Knowledge Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Jim Wynne Americans Love Science But... There is a lack of basic knowledge World News 14
D Worldwide Regulatory Knowledge Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
BradM Where knowledge and industry meet... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
R Organisation knowledge specified in the ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Brizilla Knowledge of the upcoming ISO 17025 Revision ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge - What evidence to have? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R What kind of Objective Evidence - AS9100 Cl. 7.1.6 - Organizational Knowledge AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Paul Simpson Does Knowledge Management include aspects of Information Security? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E Audit Focus Area: Tribal Knowledge Internal Auditing 10
J Organizational Knowledge Requirements - Meeting ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
P IT tools for Knowledge Sharing in a large Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M BOK of Internal Auditor of ISO/TS 16949 - How to Judge the Knowledge of an Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Evidence for Language Knowledge of Employees Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
T Does Organization Size change a QE's Required Knowledge? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A ISO 9001:2015 - Knowledge vs. Competence - 7.5.1 and 7.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A I am working in QA. How can I gain knowledge and skills on EHS system? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
V What are the elements of Knowledge Management in R&D Environment... Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
E Evaluating Lean Knowledge: Lean Philosophy Course for Production Engineering Students Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Supplier's Quality Competency - Testing the knowledge/competency of their personnel Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
V Can anybody help me to get knowledge about API (6A) certification Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
M Developing your own personal "Body of Knowledge" document. Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Y Does anybody have any knowledge in Statistical Bin Limit (SBL)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Sharing and/or Protecting Knowledge: Balance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Standardization of HR knowledge Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
J Knowledge of CAR/PAR Procedures - Should the entire organization know/understand? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ajit Basrur ASQ - Service Quality Body of Knowledge ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
T Metal Stamping Process Audit / Knowledge required! Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
N NADCAP - Knowledge of Aerospace Quality Systems Accreditation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
C Discarding Customer Scrap product without their knowledge Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
F How to increase the technological knowledge of employees? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 19
S ASQ CSSBB Exam & Knowledge of Statistics Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
D What knowledge should supplier and buyers of computers (public service agency) share? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A SPC Training - I want to develop my knowledge in statistical tools Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
U ASQ's knowledge center ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
S General Information on TL 9000 for my knowledge TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 4
A Six Sigma and Lean Body of Knowledge (BoK) Six Sigma 4
A Auditing ISO 9001 without ISO 9001 knowledge or training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
R Anyone willing to share their experience in Knowledge Management (KM)? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
A Most Important Knowledge in the Quality Assurance field - What to Learn Career and Occupation Discussions 11
H Knowledge about Lean - Applications and Implementation in Service Industries Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Govind Change in Body of Knowledge - ASQ Certified Sixsigma Blackbelt Professional Certifications and Degrees 4