8.2.2 Internal Audit - Seeking Opinions

C

Carl Exter

Opinions please...

In establishing the internal audit schedule (in compliance with ISO9001:2000 8.2.2), and the scopes for the various audits, is it valid to use documented problems with processes (noted through our nonconformance reporting system) as a focus in evaluating processes?

By way of example, I once focused an audit of our documentation/artwork approval process to determine why we had numerous similar problems with product labels. (Kind of like trying to do root-cause troubleshooting with the process via the audit).

I was rebuked and told that an appropriate audit starts blind and only evidence of problems uncovered during the conduct of the audit are valid areas to research. I was told that audits can't begin with evidence of problems.

This doesn't seem very smart to me and can lead to rather routine and frequently unproductive audits (other than filling the requirement to conduct internal audits). But I don't have an updated copy of 10011 so I don't know what the official ISO position is on auditing.

I would appreciate your thoughts, feedback, and experiences. Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Re: Opinions please...

Carl Exter said:

I was rebuked and told that an appropriate audit starts blind and only evidence of problems uncovered during the conduct of the audit are valid areas to research. I was told that audits can't begin with evidence of problems.

This doesn't seem very smart to me and can lead to rather routine and frequently unproductive audits (other than filling the requirement to conduct internal audits). But I don't have an updated copy of 10011 so I don't know what the official ISO position is on auditing.

I would appreciate your thoughts, feedback, and experiences. Thank you in advance.
Carl,

My understanding is that you can have "Special" audits. But, these have to be directed by Management. As Senior Management directs the Audits, they also "bless" all scheduled Internal Audits, too. They are incorrect in saying that N/C's cannot cause the need for a Special Audit. And, if they choose to not allow you to audit a recurring problem, it's their call. You then address it through your Corrective Action Sytem. JMHO
:ko: :smokin:

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Special Audit, I think this would I gonna do next week in our IT department. I was been tapped by our management to audit IT on their quality levels. Thanks to everyone who contribute opinios and recommendations to my query, it enlighten my mind on what are the things that i need to audit.
However, can this audit would refer as Internal Audit for a department? :confused: I would be auditing them against the ISO requirements, hope that i would be focus on ISO. :bonk:

Raffy :cool:

E

energy

Sure

You would cite the specific ISO requirements, Para. etc, and simply put the departments on your audit schedule. If you intend to audit one department at a time to the whole standard, good luck! If I misunderstood what you were asking, I apologize.

My own opinion would be to pick a section of the standard, like 4.2.3 Control of Documents and 4.2.4 Control of Records and audit each department to the procedures which were written with the Standard in mind. This is a pair that could very easily be audited at the same time. Then schedule, say 8.5.2 Corrective Action for all Departments.

Although is not my intent to audit our released procedures to ISO Requirements, which were written by a Steering Comitteee comprised of 4 Internal Auditors, you could always audit your own procedures. My fear is that we would get bogged down addressing "interpretation" differences, like we do here in the Cove.:vfunny: I prefer to trust Management to authorize procedures, etc., with ISO as their driver. And there is also the Mgt. Rep very aware of the requirements of the Standard who creates the drafts, gains approval from cognizant Managers.
Guess who? :bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
You can establish your audit schedule based upon the phases of the Moon or the tides if you want. What you don't want to do is have special audits that turn into "Witch Hunts". The audit process has to be pro-active in nature and looked upon as being a value added, positive approach to identifying shortcomings or opportunities for improvement. The internal audit should bring to light and emphasize "preventive more than corrective" measures needed.

B

Bob Ablondi

Auditing

Marc:

I am a practitioner of the "Vertical Slice" method when I do Registration and Surveillance audits for the Registrar. I have done this when I audited to Code of Federal Regulation 10CFR50 Appendix B.

Bob A

R

rrramirez

ISO 19011:2000; 5.2 clause

You could use the guides contents in the in the new ISO 19011:2002.
Please read additionally the Introduction paragraph of the standard.:bigwave:

M

M Greenaway

Carl

I think you have been given really bad advice !

I always will look at the sorts of non-compliances, complaints and previous audit results to get a flavour of where to look in an audit.

It saves time, and makes the audit focus on the real issues, and not dream up irrelevant problems, or even worse totally miss any problems at all.

Audits should be flexible, but not blind (in my opinion).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Seeking Internal Audit Plan form or template Internal Auditing 5
Q ISO 13485, FDA's QSR, CMDR, MDD: Seeking Internal Audit Correlation Matrix Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
C Alternative Internal Audit Methods - Seeking Enlightenment General Auditing Discussions 68
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
M Internal Quality Audit - Seeking Example Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Internal Product Audit - Seeking an example form IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
sridharafep Seeking Internal Audit Plan - Design Responsible Manufacturing company Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
A Seeking: ISO 9001:2000 Internal Audit Checklist for Newbie Internal Auditing 20
T Developing TS-16949 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example and Advice Internal Auditing 9
F AS9100 Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Seeking template for Internal Audit Training Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Seeking: Internal Audit Training Material - Practice Audits? Internal Auditing 14
J Seeking: Internal Audit Checklist Sheet Form Internal Auditing 2
A Seeking: QS-9000 Internal Audit Checklist Internal Auditing 2
Claes Gefvenberg Seeking Opinions: Internal Audit Flowchart Internal Auditing 5
S TS 16949 Internal Audit Scheduling - Seeking Advice Internal Auditing 10
T Seeking ISO 9001:2000 Internal Audit Matrix Examples Internal Auditing 7
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 6
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 9
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 146
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1