8.2.2 - Opinions please... Audit schedule based on importance and 'status'

Considering this part of 8.2.2: An audit programme shall be planned, taking into consideration the status and importance of the processes and areas to be audited, as well as the results of previous audits.

We have taken this factor into accout earlier, when planning the audits, but we have now taken it a step further.... Starting from January this year we added a new field to our internal audit form: Date for next audit.

We agree on the date for the next audit based on the findings in the current one and the general status of the audited area.

Basic guidelines (Even though we are flexible):

A very good audit result: Next audit in 18 months.
A "normal" audit result (Whatever that is): Next audit in 12 months.
A poor audit result: Next audit in 6 months.
And if we find a real mess (a system breakdown): A follow-up audit within 1-3 months.

Thus, we now have a "self-generating schedule" where every completed audit generates a new one. (The external auditors loved the setup). The benefits are that it allows us to concentrate on problem areas at the same time as it serves as a bonus for the good ones.

/Claes

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Claes,

Sounds to me if you have developed a method to ensure that audits are scheduled based on importance. The only question I would ask is:

What criteria do you have for any corrective action to be taken when an audit leads to a "score" on your Basic Guidelines.

I can only assume that there are differing levels of corrective action required for the 4 Basic Guidelines.

Al...:)

J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Claes,

That sounds like a pretty good system and easy to maintain. The only thing I have a comment about is that it seems like there is potential that you could end up with multiple audits scheduled at the same time depending on the results. Do you have any plans on how to handle that if it does come up?

A

Aaron Lupo

Re: 8.2.2 - Opinions please...

Claes,

The only thing I do not see being addressed is what if things go bad between audits, do you have a way to make sure they area is audited beofre the next scheduled audit?

M

M Greenaway

Claes

Another burning question. We all know auditing is not an exact science (to say the least), if you have more than one auditor in an organisation how do you ensure consistency of approach.

Hope this isnt dragging the thread off topic, but my concern would be that some auditors may audit 'harder' than others, and your scheduling based on importance would have more really to do with auditor 'hardness' than a real reflection of status and importance.

I would personally like to see some grading of process importance, and some other process measures thrown in on which to base the schedule of the next audit.

Also we need to bear in mind that famous disclaimer we all get from our registrars at the bottom of their audit reports - words to the effect of 'this audit report is based on a sample, and the absence of any adverse findings in this audit report does not mean that none necessarily exist'. Goes back to my comment on not being an exact science.

pancreas said:
---X---
What criteria do you have for any corrective action to be taken when an audit leads to a "score" on your Basic Guidelines.

I can only assume that there are differing levels of corrective action required for the 4 Basic Guidelines.

Al...:)
Hi Al,

Well... Any CAR's resulting from an audit are handled as before, with someone responsible for action, deadline and all that stuff.

The guidelines I mentioned handle only the time for next audit, and that is up to the audit team to decide, based on the overall result of the audit.

Richard Olson:
---X---
The only thing I have a comment about is that it seems like there is potential that you could end up with multiple audits scheduled at the same time depending on the results.
Good question Richard,

Yep, we do. We simply check the schedule before we set an audit date. (A current schedule can be found on our intranet at all times. We handle all audits in a Access application, and as soon as a new audit is scheduled, it is also forwarded to the intranet). As a matter of fact, it does happen that we have two or even more audit teams roaming the grounds, performing different audits at the same time, without any problems.

/Claes

Re: Re: 8.2.2 - Opinions please...

Yikes :eek: You lot are fast on the buttons today... Ok, I wanted opinions.. Seems I got them :D

ISO GUY said:

Claes,

The only thing I do not see being addressed is what if things go bad between audits, do you have a way to make sure they area is audited beofre the next scheduled audit?
Yes, if we see signs of that, we can change the schedule... Absolutley.

M Greenaway said:
Claes

Another burning question. We all know auditing is not an exact science (to say the least), if you have more than one auditor in an organisation how do you ensure consistency of approach.

Hope this isnt dragging the thread off topic, but my concern would be that some auditors may audit 'harder' than others, and your scheduling based on importance would have more really to do with auditor 'hardness' than a real reflection of status and importance.
---X---
Yes... I would clearly consider that to be within the topic, even though I may have to go out of topic to explain our approach:

We try to "calibrate" (couldn't think of a better word) our auditors (Yes, including yours truly) in several ways. One of them is by every now and then dishing out 10 hypothetical audit findings to all auditors and asking them to comment on them:

Would you write this up?
Acc. to what std clause?

.... and then discuss the replies. That works very well, believe me.

Of course, we have everyday contact too.

M Greenaway said:

I would personally like to see some grading of process importance, and some other process measures thrown in on which to base the schedule of the next audit.

Also we need to bear in mind that famous disclaimer we all get from our registrars at the bottom of their audit reports - words to the effect of 'this audit report is based on a sample, and the absence of any adverse findings in this audit report does not mean that none necessarily exist'. Goes back to my comment on not being an exact science.
Agreed. And yes: We take that into account too.

/Claes

M

M Greenaway

Sounds like you have it all sewn up nicely Claes - I like the auditor calibration idea very much, its bordering on an MSA study of the audit process.

M

M Greenaway

Sorry Claes

MSA stands for Measurement System Analysis, a collection of techniques for analysing predominantly gauging systems used on products. QS9000 published their own manual on the subject.

Your scenario reminded me of Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) methodology where you compare the results from different operators (or auditors) to see if they introduce significant error.

I am sure the techniques could be extended to auditing, would make an interesting thesis for anyone doing their degree in quality.

Traceability to national standards is an interesting concept too.......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
harrysons Product Audit Checklist - Please give some advice or share your opinions Software Quality Assurance 8
W Severity Rating CORRECTIVE ACTIONS - Opinions Wanted Please Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
A Wolfram Mathematica 8 - Review or Opinions Please Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
J Lean Six Sigma and the Environmental Benefits / trades off - your opinions please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
S Basic questions about FMEA - Opinions please FMEA and Control Plans 7
A Quality Policy - Please let me know your opinions and comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K TS Section 7.6.3.1 - In-House Testing - Opinions Please IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B ISO Management Systems Magazine - Opinions Please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
C Quality Policy: Opinions Please ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
G Please Review our Customer Survey and help with your opinions and suggestions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H My Quality Management Systems (QMS) Manual - Please review - Opinions appreciated! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
ccochran Chapter 2 of book - Your opinions please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
ccochran Chapter 1 of book - Your opinions please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 34
D SPC program called QC-Calc - Use with Micro-Vu equipment - Opinions please Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
J Reportable Event for a Medical Device? Opinions welcomed. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Marc January 2018 - Forum Software Opinions Forum News and General Information 5
Q No Financial Management (ISO 9001:2015) - Your Opinions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J CFDA issues Guiding Opinions on Enhancing the Construction of Food and Drug Inspectio China Medical Device Regulations 1
S Service Parts PPAP AIAG Manual - Opinions APQP and PPAP 4
Chennaiite Cause Analysis for Verification/Validation Failures - Seeking Opinions Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
P Salary Increment (Opinions Requested) Career and Occupation Discussions 1
N Do I Need to Write a CAR for..... (All Opinions Wanted :) ) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
8 Looking for opinions concerning the re-start up of a 5s Program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 22
D SPC Software that will satisfy auto/furniture data submissions - Opinions wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
Marc Thoughts and Opinions about the ASQ (American Society for Quality) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 34
G A2LA's ISO/IEC 17025 and Accreditation Training - Opinions from previous attendees ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Z Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for QMS Department Advice and Opinions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S OPRP or HACCP Plan - Opinions and Practical Example Wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 17
M Putting First Pieces with Masters - Need opinions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J NoiseKen ESD Simulators - Opinions on ESD simulator ESS-2002EX Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V Opinions of those who have used/read David Hoyle's ISO 9000 Handbook Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
F Document Control For Dummies - Need opinions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Used Parts in Medical Devices - Opinions on Servicing and Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A How to treat large Manufacturing Equipment providers - Opinions and comments wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
H Opinions on and finding a Thread Sensor General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K CAR for Re-certification audit and your opinions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Marc Your Opinions and thoughts about the Elsmar Cove forum - Why do you visit the forum? Forum News and General Information 50
B Opinions on Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
B ETQ Quality & Compliance Software - Opinions or Reviews wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 35
C Need opinions to make decision on New Job position Career and Occupation Discussions 18
Crusader Design Activities Schedule - ISO 9001 Audit Nonconformance 7.3 - Opinions? Design and Development of Products and Processes 21
T Opinions regarding the ASQ Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
ScottK New "Family" car or used "Upscale" car - Opinions wanted Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
Crusader Playstation 3 - $$ Cost - Thoughts - Opinions - Evaluations? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 89
C Online Customer Survey - Opinions/feedback on the survey I have created Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
C Needing a way to monitor environmental laws - Opinions on RegScan? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10