8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate?

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,
In clause 8.2.4.2 ISO/TS states:
For organizations manufacturing parts designated by the customer as "appearance items", the organization shall provide
……
-masters for colour, grain, gloss, metallic brilliance, texture, distinctness of image (DOI), as appropriate,
………
May someone explain me when the usage of masters for for colour, grain, etc is not appropriate?
I think for inspection of appearance characteristics such as color, grain or gloss, it is always necessary to use masters (sample parts or pictures as masters).
Is it a requirement of ISO/TS that these masters to be approved by customer?
Thanks all

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriat

Hi all,
For organizations manufacturing parts designated by the customer as "appearance items", the organization shall provide
……
-masters for colour, grain, gloss, metallic brilliance, texture, distinctness of image (DOI), as appropriate,
………
May someone explain me when the usage of masters for for colour, grain, etc is not appropriate?
I think for inspection of appearance characteristics such as color, grain or gloss, it is always necessary to use masters (sample parts or pictures as masters).
Thanks all
What "as appropriate" means there is that not all of those characteristics will have to be measured. For example, you might have to evaluate color but not gloss or texture.

There is no requirement in the standard for customers to supply masters. Nonetheless, it's important, when standards aren't provided, that customers and suppliers agree on objective criteria. This might involve the supplier creating a master of some kind and having the customer approve it.

A

amit_rd

Re: 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriat

Hi all,
……
………
Thanks all
I am afraid to state that you have misunderstood "as appropriate" - Here, as appropriate means that masters are required for all or any of the specific properties like colour, grain, gloss, metallic brilliance, texture etc. - as appropriate :)

About customer approval - its always better to have it, in case its not feasible- define an internal customer representative who can do that.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Hi all,
……
………
Thanks all
Please also note that you can have more than one master for any of the said appearance items, making your task that much more easy and clear.
Customer approval of the masters are a must as after all these are for appearance items as said by your customer.

Please note that if the appearance parts get assembled one next to another, or several that can be seen together., then it makes sense to use one of the approved masters that you have. In case they are single parts in assembly, then any one master could do.

Last edited:

morteza

Trusted Information Resource

Please also note that you can have more than one master for any of the said appearance items, making your task that much more easy and clear.
Customer approval of the masters are a must as after all these are for appearance items as said by your customer.
Hi Somashekar
Thanks for your reply
If I understand correctly from Master Jim, amit and your replies:
1- Having master for appearance items is a requirement according to 8.2.4.2.
2- In your reply you mentioned that customer approval on appearance master is a must (is a requirement). Please say us according to which clause of ISO/TS it is a requirement. I believe (the same as amit rd) that approval of masters would become a requirement, only when the customer requires it.
Are my 2 understandings right?
Thanks

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

1- Having master for appearance items is a requirement according to 8.2.4.2.
Yes, Your organization shall provide it.
2- In your reply you mentioned that customer approval on appearance master is a must (is a requirement). Please say us according to which clause of ISO/TS it is a requirement. I believe (the same as amit rd) that approval of masters would become a requirement, only when the customer requires it.
I wish standards were as explicit as you wanted.
When a customer calls any of the colour, grain, gloss, metallic brilliance, texture, distinctness of image, as appearance item, how can you alone provide master, without customer approving it ?
As these are customer designated, there can be no master without customer approval.
Your blue is not customer blue, unless customer says so.
These masters are nothing but specifications and it is the customer who has approve his specification.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Yes, Your organization shall provide it.

I wish standards were as explicit as you wanted.
When a customer calls any of the colour, grain, gloss, metallic brilliance, texture, distinctness of image, as appearance item, how can you alone provide master, without customer approving it ?
By using masters that meet the specifications. If the specifications are subjective or ambiguous, it becomes important to seek agreement and approval with the customer. In the presence of objective specifications, there is no need for a customer to approve masters, nor is there a requirement in the standard for customer approval.

As these are customer designated, there can be no master without customer approval.
Your blue is not customer blue, unless customer says so.
These masters are nothing but specifications and it is the customer who has approve his specification.
In the case of color matching, a standard is necessary. In most cases, these are supplied by the customer along with some form of objective measurement limits. In any event, it's important to eliminate subjectivity as far as possible when dealing with color.

For other appearance requirements, such as gloss and texture, the design record should specify either a value (in the case of gloss) or a standard in the case of texture. The gloss can be measured and the texture can be compared to a standard plaque in most cases, and no customer approval is necessary.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Appearance items - Seeking Standard, specification or documentation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
G 8.2.4.2 Appearance items IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Appearance Items IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.2 - Appearance Items require special controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F How to fill out an Appearance Approval Report (AAR) APQP and PPAP 0
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Understanding PPAP Appearance Approval APQP and PPAP 19
V AAR (Appearance Approval Report) with general note for Grain APQP and PPAP 1
B Assistance in filling out an Appearance Approval Report for PPAP Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
R Appearance of an External Voltage on SIP/SOP (Medical Devices) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
R Definition Description and Appearance - What is the difference in a Chemical Laboratory? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
C Appearance Approval Forms - Assembly Operation APQP and PPAP 2
C Only appearance and PCB are changed - Do we need to submit a new 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Appearance Approval Report (AAR) - For what kind of product is AAR applicable? APQP and PPAP 5
P Appearance Approval Report (AAR) Difficulties - Decorative Graphics Screen Printing APQP and PPAP 12
G Fundamentals of Color and Appearance - Seminar with Nick Lena - Worth the cost? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G General appearance inspection standards for casegoods (wood) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G Gloss/color - How much does gloss affect the appearance of color? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
L Level 2 Containment requirements - Appearance issues Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R PPAP - Appearance Approval Report - I need help APQP and PPAP 10
G Appearance Boundary Standard - Plastic Components Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
O How can you deploy an MSA study on a visual inspection appearance variable Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F IEC 62304 - Segregation and communication between software items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
M IEC 62304 - Develop an Architecture for the Interfaces of Software Items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Polypropylene Packaging for Food items Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K What technical documents need to be maintained for "manufactured for" items 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
SteveK Interesting Medical Device Database Site (666,413 items listed) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 clause 5.8.3 Records of Non-Conforming Test Items ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Not accepting Flowdowns for COTS Items AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Shelf Life Control and Identification of items that do not have Shelf Life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Process Startup Only items in a Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8