8.2.4 Problems with Monitoring and Measurement of Product

M

Mario Alberto83

Good afternoon everybody

I am kind of stuck with 8.2.4 Monitoring and Measurement.

I wonder if you could give me some advice on how to address this clause in QMS

I thought of having a general procedure that set the guidelines to comply with 8.2.4 and then, create separate inspection instructions.

I think a lone procedure for all inspections (in process, final, FAI, etc.) would not be the best way due to manufactured products are different with different features and would need different measurement methods and acceptance criteria and thus different inspection documents would be needed. I believe you cannot enclose all inspection details in one general procedure, they should be broken into inspection instructions aligned with the general procedure.

This would be the map I propose:

Input: Project Management receives the demand and manages the project
1) Manufacturing engineers would identify the processes needed for product manufacture
2) Manufacturing engineers develop documented processes as per “documents control procedure” guidelines.
3) Documents control procedure would direct engineers to “Monitoring and measurement procedure” so they know what to consider while creating “inspection instructions” for product acceptance.

Output: Product/family specific inspection instructions in accordance with 8.2.4 guidelines

Could you please let me know your comments

Best Regard

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Del Foster

Good afternoon everybody

I am kind of stuck with 8.2.4 Monitoring and Measurement.

I wonder if you could give me some advice on how to address this clause in QMS

I thought of having a general procedure that set the guidelines to comply with 8.2.4 and then, create separate inspection instructions.

I think a lone procedure for all inspections (in process, final, FAI, etc.) would not be the best way due to manufactured products are different with different features and would need different measurement methods and acceptance criteria and thus different inspection documents would be needed. I believe you cannot enclose all inspection details in one general procedure, they should be broken into inspection instructions aligned with the general procedure.

This would be the map I propose:

Input: Project Management receives the demand and manages the project
1) Manufacturing engineers would identify the processes needed for product manufacture
2) Manufacturing engineers develop documented processes as per “documents control procedure” guidelines.
3) Documents control procedure would direct engineers to “Monitoring and measurement procedure” so they know what to consider while creating “inspection instructions” for product acceptance.

Output: Product/family specific inspection instructions in accordance with 8.2.4 guidelines

Could you please let me know your comments

Best Regard
If your work control system defined in section 7.5.1 adequately defines your product metrics then clause 8.2.4 is redundant and can relate to the previous section, but if you exempted those portions of 7.5.1 then 8.2.4 is an appropriate place to define your product M & M methods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day Mario,

I think you are on the right track. An inspection procedure should address the inspection process but actual measurements, tools to use, attributes, tolerances etc. are best identified with SOPs, job travelers or something similar.

M

Mario Alberto83

Good day guys, thanks a lot for your feedback

Good day Mario,

I think you are on the right track. An inspection procedure should address the inspection process but actual measurements, tools to use, attributes, tolerances etc. are best identified with SOPs, job travelers or something similar.
Thank you Jennifer, I have a clearer idea on how to meet this clause in the QMS.

If your work control system defined in section 7.5.1 adequately defines your product metrics then clause 8.2.4 is redundant and can relate to the previous section, but if you exempted those portions of 7.5.1 then 8.2.4 is an appropriate place to define your product M & M methods. google isoyourway
Foster

I agree with you, however you need to address somewhere the guidelines to follow in order to have an adequate control and thus meet 8.2.4, I mean, you need to consider aspects in 8.2.4 by the time you develop inspection instructions.

I would not say 8.2.4 is redundant but 7.5.1 tells you where to apply 8.2.4.

Best Regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S New problems exporting to Germany - February 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Marc Problems - Contacting Us about Problems (How To - Etc.) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Youtube - Viewing problems Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Problems while documenting the SOUPs used for the software we are developing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
L Relying on Suppliers - Most Quality and Warranty problems are caused by Suppliers Supply Chain Security Management Systems 5
M The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
I Request an FDA GUDID Account - Problems Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Document Review Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L How to avoid Nonconformance Reoccurrence problems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
C Software Process Implementation Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Bottle Labeling Machine Problems - Non conformance in FCMG industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
T Contacting the Supplier's CB vs a Supplier Audit - Nonconformance Problems AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Peter Fraser Problems and Deficiencies with the ISO 9001:2015 Draft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
S Common Electric Fan Motor Problems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M FDA Warning Letter - Product Association with Search Engine Results - Problems Ahead? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Problems with Unrealistic Customer Expectations Customer Complaints 12
AnaMariaVR2 Chronic Regulatory Compliance Issues Causing Drug Shortages & Safety Problems Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q Method on how to cause people to solve problems Benchmarking 5
O Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
R Problems with Supplier - Always with 100% Sorting - No Corrective Actions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
G Product Returns are above average for Labeling Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them? APQP and PPAP 14
1 A New Job - Replaced a QM who passed away - BIG Problems Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
N English as a Second Language - English problems with Legal Terms Contract Review Process 2
Uriel Alejandro Problems with the Employee Skills Matrix - Document Control System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
L Avoiding Recurrence of the Supplier?s Quality Problems Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
M Problems implementing ISO 13485 for Software-Only Medical Device Manufacturers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B How can I resolve Chronic Nonconformance Problems? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Problems with the application of EN 62366:2008 IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 13
F Can you tell me if this table is correct? Gage R&R Problems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
D Quality Metrics to use to solve Problems Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S Systemic Problems Identified in Audit and How to Fix Them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
T Lollipop Production Line Problems - Defectives and Root Cause Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
T Big problems with Inspection - Manual Operation - Needs experts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
C Efficient Supplier Development and Problems with Buyers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
V Common Coating Problems in Refinery Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What are the common Problems preventing (Gaps) Implementation of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
A Problems in Implementation of ISO 9001 - How to React? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5