8.5.1.2 Validation and control of special processes requirements for Heat Treat External Processor

Our company provides bar stock material to the Aerospace and other industries. Some of this material we have heat treated by our approved processors.
What type of evidence/documentation is required to meet the requirements of 8.5.1.2?
Most of our Heat Treaters are NADCAP Approved. Can their NADCAP approval (ie Cert) Be used as validation?
Could evidence of the Heat Treaters internal validation activities be used to meet the requirement?
Or does this require that we do independent coupon testing, and if so, is this something that is required for each order? Put on a schedule and done annually?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

darkopsghost

Starting to get Involved
Depending on how your QMS was written concerning validation, approval, and continued monitoring of ASPs, someone or something triggers the approval of the SP correct? For myself, our Prime has Approved Special Processors listed and I try to use those exclusively as they have already met the criteria of the Prime, in my case an OEM. When I have a SP that I can't find an ASP on that list, I have an entirely different rout I must travel...a Vendor Survey Form which must be completed. Most of our work is Military and they only want to se compliance of a SP to a Standard. A NADCAP Approval to my DCMA-QAR would just be one more feather in my cap sort-of-speak. Normaly, their approval or cert on the wall is not enough by itself.

So look at the Standard:

"For processes where the resulting output cannot be verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement (STOP! to me if this criteria can be met, is there need to go further? NO!), the organization shall establish arrangements for these processes including, as applicable:

a. definition of criteria for the review and approval of the processes; (What do you say in your QMS? Do you have a Vendor Survey Form? What does it ask? Would your customers approve you with those responses?)
b. determination of conditions to maintain the approval; (What do you say in your QMS? Annual Vendor Surveys? Every other year? Are CAPA/ SCARs part of that review? is there a threshold that must be maintained?)
c. approval of facilities and equipment; (What do you say in your QMS? Is it adequate to preform in a timely fashion? Is there risk of product damage? Do they demonstarte some sore of conveyance and mitigation?)
d. qualification of persons; (What do you say in your QMS? What is your customer's requirements/ expectations? They are in the Driver's Seat, the Standard doesn't care as long as it is addressed)
e. use of specific methods and procedures for implementation and monitoring the processes; (What do you say in your QMS? Again, this can be as simple or as compplex as you want to make it.)
f. requirements for documented information to be retained. (What do you say in your QMS? What documentation? How stored? How long?)

NOTE: For outsourced special processes, the organization’s external provider control process should address these items accordingly and review the use of customer-designated sources, when required"

I am audited several times annually by FAA/ EASA, DCMA, the Prime OEM, and ISO/AS and I have passed all audits without so much as a question or second guess. I have a background in AS9100, NADCAP, and have put together many, many Gap Analysis documents to find if our QMS or Repair Station QM is/ are compliant and any shortcomings they might have. I have to maintain an FAA Approved QM and Training Manual, an EASA MAG, and an AS9110 QM all at the same time currently.

Hope some or any of this helps answer your questions. I may be all wet, but again, no findings or even OFIs in years.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
As long as your company does not have a supplier audit requirement, their NADCAP certification should suffice.
That's akin to provide a copy of an ISO 9001 certification when someone asks for evidence of product final inspection. A Nadcap approval has a scope of coverage and might not encompass all of the processes performed by the organization.

Heat treatment process validation and the records associated are normally maintained by the heat treat house, themselves and should be available as required in 8.4.1.1 e)

On top of that, very likely, you still have to have coupons of each treated batch to demonstrate the adequacy of the metallurgical properties.

That's akin to provide a copy of an ISO 9001 certification when someone asks for evidence of product final inspection. A Nadcap approval has a scope of coverage and might not encompass all of the processes performed by the organization.

Heat treatment process validation and the records associated are normally maintained by the heat treat house, themselves and should be available as required in 8.4.1.1 e)

On top of that, very likely, you still have to have coupons of each treated batch to demonstrate the adequacy of the metallurgical properties.
Good point, Sydney. I misspoke on this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M AS9110C Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes for Repair Station AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
W AS9100D Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Design Control - Can Validation be based on a limited/first Production Run ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Change Control Forms Post Software Validation Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
D 21 CFR 11 Tools Validation - Electronic Document and Records Control Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
T Medical Device Manufacturer Document Control Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
A ISO 13485, Document Control and Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Microsoft Sharepoint as Document Control Software - FDA Validation Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Validation of VCS software for document control? Small medical start-up Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Q Design Control and Process Validation Tools and Presentations (Medical Device) wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
B Can I exclude 7.5.1 & 7.5.2 (Control of Production & Validation) from our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Control Plan need to cover the Product Validation Stage? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
F Procedure for Software Validation and Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
K Iso 11135:1994 - Validation and Control of Ethylene Oxide Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Design Control - Validation and Verification Dilemma Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
I Are suppliers required to hand over process validation reports? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Computerized System Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M 3D Scanner Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
E Cybersecurity for Internal Tool Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Transport Validation For Non-sterile Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Software Validation Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Pad Printing Validation OR Verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A ETHYLENE OXIDE STERILIZATION VALIDATION Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C. Tejeda Computer system validation approach for Minitab Statistical software Software Quality Assurance 7
S Performance Qualification and Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L ISO 11607-1 Packaging system validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
John C. Abnet ...validation of computer software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
D Machine rebuilds versus process re-validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Cloud-based SaMD Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
G Process Validation Before/After Sterilization? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
D Laboratory Refrigerator Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T SQL Server 2019 - Master Data Services - Validation needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Shipping Validation of Non-Sterile Parts? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
J Hardware Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
B ERP software validation - risk assessment vs validation scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
blackholequasar Validation of new ERP system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G How to Record Informal Testing (Not Verification/Validation) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
B Clean room shut down and re-validation or re-qualification? Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
B Vision system process validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Validation of Software used in Verification Testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Glassware cleaning validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
R SaMD Verification & Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
B SPECIAL PROCESS VALIDATION & REVALIDATION Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R Validation of processes Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Guidance for validation - mixing homogeneity Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
E DESIGN VALIDATION, USABILITY AND CLINICAL EVALUATION request Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S In Field Validation Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 1