8-D - Eight Disciplines Problem Solving - What is an 8D and Ford's Global 8D

R

RosieA

Is anyone familiar with the term "8D" as a quality issue? A former co-worker is job hunting and ran across a job where the employer wants someone with 8D familiarity.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Hi Rosie,

I don't really know anything about 8D, but I do know that it is a problem solving process that is used in the automotive industry. I'm sure that someone in the auto industry can tell you more about it. From what I understand about it, it is yet another method of determining root cause. :rolleyes:

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
8 Disciplined Steps to Problem Solving

RosieA,

It is my understanding that Ford developed an 8D Problemsolving Method and then a year or two ago expanded it to G8D (Global 8D) where the escape point is also addressed. The attachment below is just a pictorial representation of G8D.

Last edited:
R

RosieA

Doug, thanks for the Power Point!

It's so much like every other problem solving method I've used, that I wonder what makes this different or more powerful from Ford's point of view.

I assume the "escape point" is a decision point where the team has the option of moving forward or dropping the issue for whatever reason?

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
RosieA,

No, the Escape Point is the place in your control system that allowed the nonconformace to escape. 8D is very similar to Chrylser's 7D and other root cause analysis methods, but G8D is much more involved!

J

Jflordeliza

Ford's Global 8D Form

Can anybody provide the latest revision of Ford's Global 8D format? I had attended two trainings on G8D and they have two different forms. Confused on what to use. Thanks!

P

philares

Hello,
G8D was deployed from Ford TOPS program. May anyone advise us
1. what was the backgroud in need for Ford?
2. How much benefit were gained after Ford promoted it? As knew GE with six sigma, they had a large scale sucess in cost saving and...:)

P

Przemek

hello Rosie,
tell me what you want to know about 8D: description of methodology or something else? Best regards Przemek

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Casana 8D (Eight Disciplines) Problem Solving - When Actions are not Effective Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
C Corrective and Preventive Action Processing - 8D (Eight Disciplines) Problem Solving Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
R 7D (Seven Disciplines) /8D (Eight Disciplines) Problem Solving Root Cause Training Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
Q Verification / Validation methods - 8D (Eight Disciplines) process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Marc The Eight States Running Out Of Home Buyers World News 2
G New SVHC's - The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) June 18 added eight substances RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
G Quality Principled Quality Manual based on the eight Quality Management Principles Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
T TS 16949 registration in eight months IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Hershal Auditor Competencies in their Sciences and/or Disciplines General Auditing Discussions 14
E Defining Sub-Disciplines for Chemical Testing Laboratory Employee Proficiency Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A 8D (8 Disciplines) Problem Solving for TS16949 Audit Points IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
G Texts for Several Disciplines - Seeking Recommendations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
NDesouza Go See, Think, Do (GSTD) Problem Solving Activity Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 8
Marc Medical device vulnerability highlights problem of third-party code in IoT devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
S Relationship between IEC 62304 problem resolution and ISO 13485 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
qualprod Add new action plans in CA, while waiting effectiveness - Same problem reappears ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Marc Problem Opening Attachments Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
D Training for AS13000 - Problem Solving Requirements for Suppliers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
eule del ayre Manual Inventory System - Problem is discipline of the employees Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
Marc vBulletin to Xenforo Import Problem Reports 28180928 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 25
M Training in 8D Problem Solving as a Preventive Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A 5Why vs. 8D - Problem Solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
K Documented problem solving and documented error-proofing - IATF 16949 10.2.3 & 10.2.4 Internal Auditing 7
V Query on PA66+GF15% - Color variation (Natural to Yellowish) problem Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
J Can someone help me get the UCL AND LCL for this problem? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Problem with Cable Composed of Coextruded Litz Wire and Tube Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Documented Problem-Solving for Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Review of "Key Data" for contract labs, but SOP doesn't define "key data". Problem? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Taguchi Loss Function Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
R RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
Q Problem Solving Techniques - 5 why or Fishbone diagram ? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
S Problem Solving Database for Each Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Suppliers Problem - One of our material suppliers is not ISO certified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Y Please help me solve a DOE problem - New Minitab User Using Minitab Software 36
J Should failure mode caused by Fixture problem be into PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
K Quality Manual Problem Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Ron Rompen Unusual problem with Excel - Need some help Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
automoto International Problem Solving Guide Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
R CQE Exam Problem Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Internal Audit Findings and Issuance Problem Internal Auditing 4