820.180(b) Record Retention - Does it apply here? We act as the initial Importer

K

KTompkins

We perform sales and service on devices in the US that we act as the initial importer and distributor for from a European manufacturer.

A third party auditor is suggesting that we are not conforming to 180(b) because we are not retaining the following records for the life of the device:
  • calibration of tools used for servicing
  • data trend analysis
  • non-conforming material reports (replacement parts only - not finished devices)
  • backup of electronic network records (catchall as defined in our record retention policy)

Any suggestions on who is correct here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We perform sales and service on devices in the US that we act as the initial importer and distributor for from a European manufacturer.

A third party auditor is suggesting that we are not conforming to 180(b) because we are not retaining the following records for the life of the device:
  • calibration of tools used for servicing
  • data trend analysis
  • non-conforming material reports (replacement parts only - not finished devices)
  • backup of electronic network records (catchall as defined in our record retention policy)

Any suggestions on who is correct here?
Hi,

As far as I know, regulation of multi-use devices service (reconditioning) is not finalized by the FDA for the last 10 years or so; voluntary industry schemes are currently in use. So, I'm not sure what would be the regulatory basis that this auditor is relying upon, in that regard.

Cheers,
Ronen.

M

MIREGMGR

I think the definitive aspect of your operations is sales of the device. As the initial importer and seller, you are the "initial distributor" in 21 CFR 820.3(o), and therefore subject to most requirements applicable to the Manufacturer.

Given that you are subject to requirements applicable to the Manufacturer, the service you provide then is subject to 21 CFR 820.200. This, I think, is the basis for the auditor's comment.

You might want to call DSMICA to verify.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I think the definitive aspect of your operations is sales of the device. As the initial importer and seller, you are the "initial distributor" in 21 CFR 820.3(o), and therefore subject to most requirements applicable to the Manufacturer.

Given that you are subject to requirements applicable to the Manufacturer, the service you provide then is subject to 21 CFR 820.200. This, I think, is the basis for the auditor's comment.

You might want to call DSMICA to verify.
:yes: Yes, initial distributors are considered a type of manufacturer (I was only commenting on the servicing aspect).

In that regard - the FDA's QSR manual's introduction, under "GMP applications and exemptions", reads:

Initial Distributors of Imported Devices
The initial distributor is the foreign manufacturer's official correspondent with the FDA. With regards to the GMP, this initial distributor is responsible for maintaining complaint files and general record keeping requirements. A procedure shall be established and maintained for receiving, reviewing, and evaluating complaints. All complaints, including oral complaints, are to be processed in a uniform and timely manner. These complaints shall be evaluated to determine whether or not they require reporting to FDA under 21 CFR part 804 or 803, Medical Device Reporting. The initial distributor is also required to evaluate all complaints to determine whether an investigation is necessary, as well as complying with all other requirements in 820.198, Complaint Files. See Chapter 15 in this manual for more complete guidance on handling complaints.
So, apart from the issue of complaint handling, which seems to be well covered, the only other reference I see here is "With regards to the GMP, this initial distributor is responsible for... general record keeping requirements", which is a bit vague. The above-mentioned auditor's comments were more specific (at least some of them), and hence my question re. regulatory basis.

With regards to section 820.200 and the servicing issue - section 820.200 relates to "Manufacturers" so presumably that would cover all types of manufacturers, including initial distributors (importers); however, my understanding was that this part's requirements relate to the original manufacturer (in this case, the foreign manufacturer) - for instance, I wouldn't think that the FDA had expected every importer (including those that only import and have zero technical involvement in the servicing) to "establish instructions and procedures for servicing" (refer 820.200(a)), yet by assuming that 820.200 is equally applicable to all types of "Manufacturers" that would be the case. If the OP's company provides the servicing on behalf of the original (foreign) manufacturer, then 820.200's requirements should be addressed via the foreign manufacturer's QMS and as such, in my opinion, should be audited only when this QMS is audited (nevertheless, the servicing provider may be bound by contractual documenting requirements to facilitate the original manufacturer's compliance).

My comment re. "reconditioning" (servicing a multi-use device already in use) related to servicing that is provided by a 3rd party, not on behalf of the original manufacturer. I guess its applicability depends on the actual relationship between the OP's company and the original manufacturer.

I think that for clarity purposes this issue should be strictly separated into two: the company's obligations as an initial distributor (importer); and its obligations as a servicer (either an independent one or on behalf of the original manufacturer). The regulatory requirements should be determined separately for each of these aspects, and once it's done they could be integrated back into a single QMS, for efficiency.

I also agree that a formal approach to the FDA is in place in any case of doubt; however, in my opinion it's best to do so after some thorough homework, with proper analysis and justifications in place.

Cheers,
Ronen.

PS to the question in the title - I think 820.180(b) applies, because of the "general record keeping requirements" clause, applicable to initial distributors.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B 21 CFR 820.180 Quality Record Retention Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Documentation and Record Requirement - What type of pen can be used? 820.180 Records 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M Quality Record Retention Time - ISO 9001 vs. CFR 820.180(b) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 25
G Original Data Copying to Maintain Compliance with 21 CFR Part 820.180 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Internal Audit Confidentiality - Exempt from review by the FDA under 820.180(c)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
B Per 21CFR 820.198 (b) - Justification for no investigation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K 820.200 Servicing Procedure - Our system (because there is an API involved) is classified as Class 3 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R How to improve a Validation program and procedures to FDA (21 CFR part 820) & ISO13485 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
R 21 CFR Part 820 Contract Manufacturer of Medical Device Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Any good Checklists for ensuring SOPs cover ISO 13485:2016 and 21CFR 820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Classes/ Online Training on ISO 13485:2016 and FDA QSR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C ISO 13485 certified as precursor to regulatory compliance to 21 CRF Part 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
N Change Control - Compliance with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D 21 CFR Part 820 (Subpart A) - Question about "Authority" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R RUO audits - CFR 820.22 and ISO 13485 8.2.4 Internal Auditing 3
A Training as well as certifications for ISO 13485:2016, 21 CFR 820... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
K Production Unit Labeling - 21 CFR 820.184.e 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R 21 CFR Part 820.186 - Types of Quality System Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Does the Scope of 21 CFR Part 820.72 (Equipment) apply to Design? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
V 21 CFR 820 Compliant way to use Kaizen to address Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
C 21 CFR Part 820.184 - Label Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
shimonv 21 CFR 820.20(d) says: Each manufacturer shall establish a Quality Plan 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
V Upgrading Systems from CFR 211 to CFR 820 (drug+device combination) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
S Looking for a checklist comparing ISO 13485:2016 and 21 CFR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
D 820.120 UDI (Unique Device Identification) Labeling Verification Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
R Managing Employee Training Files - 21 CFR Part 820.25 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Release authorization before or after packaging per 21 CFR 820.80(d)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Need advice in streamlining antiquated 21 CFR 820 compliant QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Does a process map satisfy 21 CFR 820.20(d) (Quality Plan)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Calibration of processing equipment - 21 CFR 820.70 Production and process controls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Issues with UDI additions to 21 CFR 820 requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Interpreting Process Controls - 21 CFR Part 820.70(a) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Mapping of IEC 62304 artefacts (SRS, SAD, etc) to the 820.30 phases IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S How others have defined "reaudits"? 21 CFR Part 820.22 Internal Auditing 1
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Document Control Features (Document Content Requirements) and 21 CFR 820.40 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S 21 CFR Part 820.40(b) Clarification on Required Document Approvers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Where to find 21 CFR Part 820 Translated into Czech, Spanish, and German 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Certificate of Compliance from a Sister Company for FDA 21 CFR 820 Exemption 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Does FDA expect suppliers to be independently assessed to 21 CFR Part 820 ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Effective Date (of Documents) issue outlined in 21 CFR Part 820.4 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
L Mobile Medical App - Understanding 21 CFR Part 820 Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3