8D timing questions and Interim Action Response

M

markd

What is the purpose for an interim action response to be returned within 24 hours after a corrective action is issued. I am trying to explain to my boss why it is important to get containment actions documented and returned within 24 hours. Documenting and sending back containment actions within 24 hours does not correct the problem, based on what my boss says. I have been taught that the 24 hour target time for interim is 1) painful for the supplier, and 2) gives the customer an insight to the activities occuring during this time period. Can someone tell me if that is correct.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: 8D timing questions

What is the purpose for an interim action response to be returned within 24 hours after a corrective action is issued. I am trying to explain to my boss why it is important to get containment actions documented and returned within 24 hours. Documenting and sending back containment actions within 24 hours does not correct the problem, based on what my boss says. I have been taught that the 24 hour target time for interim is 1) painful for the supplier, and 2) gives the customer an insight to the activities occuring during this time period. Can someone tell me if that is correct.
Welcome to the Cove, Mark :D

Why is "painful for the supplier" considered a good thing?

I don't have much of a problem with letting a customer know that you are aware of a problem and trying to do something about protecting them, and there usually shouldn't be much reason you couldn't at least come up with a plan within 24 hours. If it makes the customer happy to know that you're on the case, why not do it?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

An interim action / containment plan is not supposed to correct a problem nor is it a corrective action plan. It is how you are sorting, segregating, identifying, replacing, reworking, recalling, containing, scraping or doing whatever to the nonconforming product that has already been produced in order to protect the customer until you have corrected the problem.

M

markd

I am not looking to cause pain to a supplier. The mere fact that a corrective action was issued, is pain enough for the supplier. I was a Quality Manager for 8 years that supplied to GM. I know what pain is. My boss believes that the interim action be verbally communicated in the initial call and that all actions be documented and turned in with the permanent action plan that is due 7 days after corrective action notification. I didn't agree. the submission of interim actions within 24 hours gives the customer a better understanding of what is in place to avoid further quality issues from getting out of the facility. Simply said, it gives the customer a warm and fuzzy feeling that something has been put into place. Granted, all the customer has is the suppliers word through the documented interim action plans.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin

. My boss believes that the interim action be verbally communicated in the initial call and that all actions be documented and turned in with the permanent action plan that is due 7 days after corrective action notification. I didn't agree. the submission of interim actions within 24 hours gives the customer a better understanding of what is in place to avoid further quality issues from getting out of the facility. Simply said, it gives the customer a warm and fuzzy feeling that something has been put into place. Granted, all the customer has is the suppliers word through the documented interim action plans.
Why is the man not willing to document what he says?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Timing of 510k submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Timing to certify new plant to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Ford Phased PPAP and T2 timing APQP and PPAP 1
M TS16949 and Timing to Retrain on Documents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G APQP Timing Plan Template attached APQP and PPAP 3
S Thread Timing - Ring Gage Frustration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J Timing of an Internal Audit Schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
QMMike Tracking of PPAP Timing and Sample Deliveries APQP and PPAP 1
M APQP Timing Plan Details and APQP Package Contents (e.g.: floor plan) - Batch Mfg. APQP and PPAP 5
C 510(k) Timing from Submittal to FDA Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
P Timing Plan (XLS) content recommendations wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R Process Flow Chart Step - Timing between Process Steps Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
P Timing on 510(k) filing - New medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S Can anyone provide APQP Timing Plan including Phase 5.0 APQP and PPAP 3
K Running Change Drawing Control - Timing aspect of the release of these documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
U APQP Timing Plan and Status Reporting APQP and PPAP 2
M External Consultants Fees/Timing - 9K:2K Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc PC to Car - Change Timing and Heat Seats Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7