8D's for finished programs - Permanent corrective measures

A

Al Cohen

After a program/contract has finished, is it possible to complete a an 8D/7 step? What permanent corrective measures can be put into place if you do not supply that customer with any more product?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

Al

If you dont supply any more product to the customer then the problem cannot re-occur. If you want to compile an 8D in case of new business then simply state the fact that no corrective action will be undertaken due to end of product life, or whatever the reason.

D

D.Scott

Another approach would be to apply what you have learned from the C/A to other processes / programs / contracts to ensure you don't have the same problem in another area.

Dave

JodiB

Still plugging along
Am I misunderstanding?

Why can't the problem occur again Martin? Am I missing something here? :confused: Is the root cause so imbedded in that particular customer's requirements that it just goes away?

If it is a system problem, then it has to be dealt with. The corrective action is for the system, not the product, not the customer.

Al, could you give more detail?

M

M Greenaway

Your right Lucinda.

I was thinking strictly in terms of a specific product supplied to a specific customer where the customer is demanding an 8D report.

You are quite correct that any complaint should be investigated to root cause, and actions taken as necessary for the good of the company.

Sorry - just starting to get trapped into the mind set of my current employer, thanks for snapping me out of it !

JodiB

Still plugging along
Well, back into my mindset of 3rd party audit I have to wonder how an open 8D request could pass muster. Or is this back to the previously discussed question of whether a NCR can be closed without action...? I suppose that one could always close out the 8D by saying that no action would be taken.....!

Perhaps wrong place to mention this, but a good 3rd party auditor will be looking for a good reason for not taking action. S/he will question the robustness of the CAPA process if it looks like a company ducks issues simply out of convenience. To me, saying that the customer is no longer a customer so we don't have to respond to them with corrective action smells like convenience.

M

M Greenaway

I guess we have two issues.

Firstly identifying a problem, discovering root cause and then taking appropriate action on the system.

Secondly we have the need to satisfy the customers burning desire for a full 8D report on every single reported incidence of non-conforming product.

My repsonse was leaning towards consideration of the second issue above, i.e. the formal report back to the customer. If an assessor picked me up for not reporting back an 8D to a customer that I no longer had I would have to laugh.

R

Randy Stewart

I agree Lucinda, the verbiage would have to tell me why it was closed without action. Show me that the company looked into it and why that decision was made. Even if it was "uneconomical" due to contract expiration I would look to ensure the problem didn't cross over other operations.

M

M Greenaway

Manoj

8D is the corrective action methodology championed primarily by the Ford motor company, and now pretty much an industry norm in the auto industry.

8D basically stands for 8 Disciplines, and is the required 8 steps to successfully address a incidence of non-conformance.

The Disciplines (or steps) are:-

Discipline 1 - Organise the team to work on the corrective action, ideally this should be a cross functional team.

Discipline 2 - Define the problem, accurately and specifically.

Discipline 3 - Containment action, that is take action that will stop any similar non-conformances being reported. i.e. check existing stock, work in progress, etc for the fault reported.

Discipline 4 - Establish root cause, absolutely fundemental to achieving effective corrective action. Use 5 Why's, Ishikawas, fault trees, etc or try to re-create the problem.

Discipline 5 - Plan corrective action, detail tasks to be undertaken, resources, responsibilities (action owners), time scales, etc.

Discipline 6 - Implement corrective action plan and verify its effectiveness.

Discipline 7 - Take preventive action (this slightly contradicts ISO9001 definitions, but dont lose sleep over it), update procedures, FMEA's, etc, institutionalise the action taken.

Discipline 8 - Thank everyone for participating, slap each other on the back, and sit back and wait for the next one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L PMA and Non-PMA parts in same finished goods area? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
M Contract Manufacturer of a Finished Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Brazil - RDC 183 - Finished device - Definition Question Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V GRR Study on a Finished Product - Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R 510(k) - Finished Test Reports - RTA - Bit of a Complaint 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
V AQL for Component Level and Assembled Finished Product AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
alonFAI Finished PCB Final Visual Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C Off-The-Shelf requirements (Finished Medical Devices) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
J Tracking and Traceability of Finished Goods ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Does Contract Manufacturer need to issue Food Grade certificate for finished device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Discrepancy in Manual Counting - Finished Goods Boxes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
JanWarner Importing a Finished Medical Device from China (tooth whitener w/ peroxide) China Medical Device Regulations 2
M Definition Receiving Inspection of Parts, finished products, service parts etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
S Three Questions on Finished Medical Device Traceability, Labeling and Packaging US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
shimonv Storage of finished medical devices per 21 CFR Part 820.150 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
T SOP for How to Write a Specification for Raw Materials and Finished Good ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Outsourced Processes Control (Finished Medical Device Delivery, Storage) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
V What is the difference in cGMPs for API vs Finished Dosage forms ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Supplier PPAP for Interim Materials - Oil to test functionality of finished product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Surface Finish measurement for machined (finished) component/part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C When to submit a 510(k)? After the DMR (Device Master Record) is finished? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Outsourcing of a Semi-Finished Product - Which major things to address in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
6 Catering HACCP/Food Safety - Traceability from Receipt to Finished Product Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
V Device Retains - How many people keep retains of finished devices and why? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
L Assessing Corrosion Damages on Steel finished externally with Epoxical Paint Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M Definition Brief Period of Time relative to Temperature Excursions for Finished Products Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
B NAFTA Requirements - Finished Product or Materials/Parts from Suppliers, too? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
W Stent Coverings and Stents - Finished Medical Device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K Raw Materials from 3rd World Countries vs. Finished Products from 1st World Countries Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 23
C D&D (Design and Development) Requirement for Semi-Finished Products Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
V Creating a Cosmetic Inspection Specification for Powder Coated Painted Finished Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
F Trend Analysis of Kanban System for our Finished Goods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Routine test for MD finished product IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
N Inspection requirements - responsibility (sht. metal, sub assembled & finished parts) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
P This Is It - Tomorrow is the final decision - Finished the certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Focused CAPA on Missing Finished Nonconforming Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Control charts of finished product characteristics..NonSense? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
C Packaging of Finished Electronic Goods - Desiccants necessary? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
pammesue New Part Traceability - Lot number and finished product traceability ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Surveillance Audit - Recently we finished our surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Formula for Determining Finished Good Roll Diameter Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J ISO 9001:2000 Implementation Project: finished procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 52
Stijloor Guideline to Standardize the Transp. Damage Claim Process for Finished Veh. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Scott Catron 21 CFR parts 210 and 211 - CURRENT GMP FOR FINISHED PHARMACEUTICALS Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
gunnyshore Auditing External Suppliers of Finished Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Monitoring and Measurement of Finished Goods with a Better Method IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Preventing Set Up Parts from getting in with Finished Goods Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
B Inspection Plan for Receiving Finished Products Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Recommended for Certification - Just finished our ISO 9001:2000 certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Just finished the ISO 9001 pre-assessment audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5