9/11 - 2 years later -- feels like yesterday

L

leanne - 2009

Re: 9/11 2 years -- feels like yesterday.

I was performing an internal audit at one of our construction sites (power plant). There were a couple of TVs in the management trailer (used mostly for safety training videos). It was not a good day for an audit - it was not a good day (period).

E

energy

CarolX said:
Energy,

I think that is just a language thingy....ya know.

CX

Yes Carol......but there are two posts from this person regarding 9/11. Even with the "language thingy", I think they are trying to say something to the effect, we somehow deserved this. Do the search for all posts by this individual and you will see what I mean. Correct me if you still think it's a language thingy! :agree:

L

Laura M

Even my 11 year old thought it seemed more recent.

As I read the above, my guilt kicked in. I was auditing today - and although I went to the client with the morning news on my mind, I totally forgot about it. I was even at the same client "where I was when I heard." When I dated the report around 1:30 I realized I had put it out of my mind.

So reflect - good to forget? No! Never forget. Good to be able to move on, and still have the jobs that I was worried about 2 years ago. Yes!

I don't 'want' to remember how I felt, because I felt scared. Then to see all the kids reading the names of the victims - their parents. We have to keep fighting for our freedom.

The rest belongs in another thread. This is about remembering and rejuvinating our spirit. Get all those flags back out. Those kids deserve it.

E

energy

Never will forget it!

Laura M said:
Even my 11 year old thought it seemed more recent.
As I read the above, my guilt kicked in. I was auditing today - and although I went to the client with the morning news on my mind, I totally forgot about it. I was even at the same client "where I was when I heard." When I dated the report around 1:30 I realized I had put it out of my mind.

This is the 4th event in my life time that I remember exactly what I was doing when the news arrived. The Kennedy asassination. (Hitch-hiking home on a Friday for a weekend wearing my navy uniform. The Challenger disaster. Kiss some Boss' A for a raise. The recent Columbia disaster. Pulling into a Dunkin Donuts on a Saturday morning. The Tower Attack news was delivered by the driver of the coffee truck at breaktime at my ill fated past place of work. "A plane crashed in the WTC." I thought of an earlier incident when a small plane hit the Empire State building. "Oh, well, history repeats itself", I thought. Then after the second plane hit, I knew. I ran upstairs to the Training Room because there was a Television there. There were already a dozen people sitting and staring at the screen. Those horrific pictures of the New York skyline will never be forgotten. From that day the anger hasn't subsided against those killers. It's grown as I see people rejoicing at Mass Murder. Anybody watch the celebration in Britain for OBL and the hijacker/killers? That's where they needed a Cruise Missile. :mad:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Even more than where I was at the time, I remember the long drive cross country the 2 days after. Not a plane in the sky, you don't realize what is there until it's gone, right? I found that even more frightening than the television news, it was just so "in your face" kind of like walking into a room where someone has died violently, there is just an aura in the air. I remember pulling into the drive and thinking for the first time since I moved to dixieland that I was "home".

R

Randy Stewart

I didn't see that celebration.
I don't remember much about JFK, but I do remember Bobby getting killed. As for the Challenger, I was checking out my weapons from the armory getting ready for our daily 5 mile march around POMFLANT. I stopped into the weather shack and they had it on the TV. Columbia, I was making breakfast for the little one when I heard of the explosion. The other events I'd add is the lunar landing, in the livingroom with my folks and sister, and the start of the '67 riots in Detroit, playing in the yard when a National Guard tank came down our street!

A couple things about that day 2 years ago that really stick in my mind is driving to Warren (around 2 pm) and seeing how empty the streets and skys were. Then picking up my daughter, coming home and turning on the set. Renee was only about 6 months old at the time and I was thinking "what kind of a mess did I bring you into". I put my head on the couch and just started crying, I couldn't control my emotions anymore. Then I felt a little tiny hand on my head. It was like she was trying to give me some comfort.

The next day my wife came in from a 3 day crack binge and didn't even know what had happened! She was gone the next week, but that's another story.

CarolX

I can remeber the morning like it was yesterday....

Driving my youngest son and my grandaughter to the babysitters house, and on the news they are begining to report of a plane crashing into the one of the WTC buildings. Ariving at the sitters house, we watch the news with the first pictures of the first plane....and saying out loud "That is no accident". How I wish I never saw any of that....knowing now how the days events would unfold.

The owner of my company walked around the shop, checking to see how everyone was holding out as the day went by, with the standing orders that if anyone felt for any reason the need to leave and be with their families, they better not let the door hit them on the way out.

That evening, my husband and I sat out on the front steps....to the most peculiar sound....silence in the skys. It wasn't until that day we truly understood how much background noise was created by the airplanes (we live between Chicago and Milwaukee)

The next day we had moment of silence out front, under the American Flag, and we recited the Lord's Prayer.

CarolX

CarolX

energy said:
Yes Carol......but there are two posts from this person regarding 9/11. Even with the "language thingy", I think they are trying to say something to the effect, we somehow deserved this. Do the search for all posts by this individual and you will see what I mean. Correct me if you still think it's a language thingy! :agree:
I see what you mean......

I'll let it go....chalk it up to small thinking....if ya know what I mean.:agree:

CX

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Randy Stewart said:
The next day my wife came in from a 3 day crack binge and didn't even know what had happened! She was gone the next week, but that's another story.

Good Heavens, Stew! Sounds like you had your hands full. Hope there was someone to talk to for some comfort. As if 9-11 events weren't enough to deal with. :(

More than the silence in the air, I remember the roar of the fighter jets. Never before had I seen F-15's over my house. Scary indeed.

CarolX

Mike S. said:
More than the silence in the air, I remember the roar of the fighter jets. Never before had I seen F-15's over my house. Scary indeed.
Scary, I bet.

We live in what is called the FAR northern suburbs of Chicago...where suburbia fades quickly to country. I remeber a few days later, hearing the sound of a prop plane...I was in my backyard and we were literally buzzed by a C-130. It is not unusual for us to see these, we are not to far from Great Lakes Naval Training Station, but this puppy was no more than 500 feet overhead. Kinda scared the kids at first....so I put on my "Wow, did you see that" hat.

Top Bottom