SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

93/42/EEC certification without ISO 13485

Nuno_

Registered
Hi all.

A question arose today that I hope someone can answer.
We've been struggling with our NB for a remote audit for an MDD certification that has been postponed due to the pandemic, and last week they finally said yes.
However when asked they said that the audit was only for 93/42 / EEC certification, and that they could not audit to certify our ISO 13485 QMS.
So my question is this: is it possible to have a 93/42 / EEC certification (class III MD) without ISO 13485 certification?
What is your opinion?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
In the MDD conformity assessment annexes, you have some requirements that are related to the QMS which correlates to the ISO 13485 requirements. For example, our auditor insisted we use the EN ISO 13485 because of Annex Z (in our case, for device class II and Annex II ZB.1) where you have this connection between MDD Annex paragraphs and clauses of ISO 13485.
When it comes to the Essential Requirements and how you fulfill them, we stated the ISO 13485 certificate for some points. In this case, you would probably need to find alternative way to demonstrate how the essential requirement is fulfilled.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, you can have a MDD certification without ISO13485. The requirement is that you have a quality system, the directive does not say which one. However if you are certified to ISO13485 there is an automatic presumption that you meet this requirement. If you are not certified, then the NB has to assess your quality system for suitability.

Thanks for the clarification chris1price. This is also my understanding, but there are divergent opinions within my company. In fact, I asked for more clarification from our NB, who explained that they are going to audit the quality requirements described in Annex II of the MDD. But it is the first time that I will see a class III device enter the EU market (I hope :) ) without ISO 13485 certification.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is using Annex V of 93/42/EEC for CE Certification incorrect for a Class IIb Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Double certification 93/42/EEC and 89/689/EEC for gloves possible? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Annex X section I.I d of Directive 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Section 13.6 Annex 1 MDD 93/42/EEC for Glove EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
G Harmonized List - MDD 93/42/EEC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
M Informational EU – Application of transitional provisions concerning validity of certificates issued in accordance to Directives 90/385/EEC and 93/42/EEC Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
G Essential Requirements Checklist - (MDD 93/42 / EEC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
R Background of Annex X section 1.1d of MDD 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 74
M List of Packaging Contents - Medical Devices - Interpreting EU Directive 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
shrutisancheti Exact Classification for Trans Radial Compression Device per EU directive 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Final Medical Device Regulations replacing MDD 93/42/EEC, etc. EU Medical Device Regulations 15
A 93/42/EEC Declaration of Conformity and Harmonized Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Why a NB change from Annex II of MDD 93/42/EEC to Annex V? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J0anne MDD 93/42/EEC Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
O MDD 93/42/EEC Checklist during Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 12
R Does oral irrigator fall within the scope of Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
E Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC definitions help EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Identifying gaps over ISO 13485 to be compliant to MDD 93/42/EEC requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Canada - Essential Requirements Checklist for MDD 93/42/EEC Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
A MDD 93/42 EEC - Requirements for Detachable Medical Device Components EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L IVDD 98/79/EEC - Can I self declare? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y What is the relation between MDD 93/42/EEC and Biocide 98/8/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 5
somashekar Are the 93/42/EEC and the 2011/65/EU directives mutually exclusive directives? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Has the update to MDD 93/42/EEC been released yet? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
T Selecting which MDD 93/42/EEC Annex to follow - PACS software system CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
B Question for CE Marking of Medical Device (Directive 93/42/EEC) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Reusable Surgical Instruments - Definition per Annex IX of Directive 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Definition of "the label" as referenced in Annex I (13.3) of MDD 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Classification of ECG/EKG Electrodes according to MDD 93/42/EEC? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Storage Temperature - Medical Device - Objective Evidence - MDD 93/42/EEC Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M FAQ - Implementation of EN 60601-1:2006 related to MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S MDD 93/42/EEC Essential Requirements and Safety definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K Annual License or Registration Requirement for Europe (MDD 93/42 EEC) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A European Notified Body (MDD 93/42/EEC) Survey - Analysis will be posted. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M MDD 93/42/EEC, Annex IX - Class IIa vs IIb: "Potentially Hazardous" definition EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Urine Analyzer standard besides the IVD standard (98-79-EEC)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MDD 93/42/EEC eBook (PDF) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Share Quality Policy that covers ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and MDD 93/42/EEC? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Requirement 4 of MDD 93/42/EEC - Definitions of Lifetime, Life Cycle, Shelf Life EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Management Review that covers ISO 9001, ISO 13485, and Directive 93/42/EEC wanted Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
B What ISO 10993 considers Non-Invasive vs. Invasive MDD 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Comparison between MDD93/42/EEC & 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Conformity Assessment Route from the Medical Devices Directive (93/42/EEC) Help EU Medical Device Regulations 6
bio_subbu Essential Requirements Checklist for AIMDD 90/385/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
E CE MDD 93/42/EEC Class I Technical File Help CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
bio_subbu COCIR Recommendation on DoC under revised 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Looking for AIMDD 90/385/EEC Training EU Medical Device Regulations 3