SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

A DOE in Minitab - 3 factors and 3 levels for each factor

Z

zebras

Hi everybody,
I need to do a DOE in Minitab.
It has 3 factors and 3 levels for each factor, but I only have 15 runs instead of the 27 runs needed to do it using a 3^3 factorial design, and it also has two responses and one replica per each response.
How do I get the significant factors?
Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Why do you need three levels? Do you know that you have curvature, or do you want to test for curvature?

I recommend running a 2^3 factorial experiment with 3-4 center points. The center points will identify whether curvature exists. The multiple center points will estimate pure error, so you do not need to run a lot of replicates. Then, if curvature exists, you can add axial points to create a response surface design.

Z

zebras

Hi Miner

Thank you for your answer.

No, I do not know if I have curvature. I need to fully analyze the data, determine the significant effects including any interactions and/or quadratic terms. Maximize one of the responses.

I am knew using Minitab, but I know how to do 2 k.
the problem that I have is that my data is something like :
Factors Response
A B C P Q
1 7 10 1.1 20
2 8 20 1.3 21
3 9 30 1.4 22
it has 15 runs and the entries for the factors are the same numbers in different order. So I am assuming that there are 3 levels for each factor. But I am confussed
Thank you

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Please post the design matrix and the accompanying results. It is difficult to understand what you mean without seeing the design structure.

You can zip the Minitab worksheet file and attach it.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The design was not a balanced design, so you cannot analyze it using Minitab's DOE analysis, you must use regression analysis.

My analysis is attached.

Attachments

Z

zebras

Hello Miner

Thank you for your analysis.

Can you please explain a few things?

How do you know that a design is not balanced?
What does it mean?

Is there any difference between General Regression and Regression?

Thank you for your help!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Balanced means that there are an equal number of experimental runs at each condition. The main issue with the experiment was that some levels were run once and others three times.

General Regression and Regression work the same way. General Regression is more user friendly for entering the model, and Regression provides greater control for an expert.

Z

zebras

Hello Miner

Thank you for your explanations and help!.

I am trying to learn how to do General Regression to see if I can get the same results that you did but, every time that I run it for Ressis. I get:

General Regression Analysis: Ressis. versus A, B, C

Regression Equation

Ressis. = 3.85333 - 0.002 A - 0.0375 B + 0.012 C

Which is very different to your results

General Regression Analysis: Ressis. versus A, B, C

Regression Equation

Ressis. = 0.00193632 A + 0.210163 B - 0.00385345 B*B + 0.000316726 C*C
For the Effic case it is also very different.
Evidently, I am doing something wrong.

Thank you again

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I noticed from the effects plots that there appeared to be curvature in some of the factors, so I added quadratic terms to the model first then simplified the model by removing the non significant terms, including the coefficient term if necessary. It is an iterative process. I removed my prelimenary models, leaving the final models, so you would not be confused.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Multilevel Design in Minitab to conduct a DOE - 4 factors and each has 5 levels Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
S Asterisk in DOE minitab software Using Minitab Software 23
J Including Repeats in DoE using Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
J DoE - Number of runs in Plackett-Burman (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 2
I DOE: High variance and small effects in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
N DOE (design of experiments) in Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
D Minitab - Design combinations (DOE) Using Minitab Software 4
N 3 factor - 3 level experiment with DoE and Minitab Using Minitab Software 10
R [Minitab] DOE Output vs. Actual Data Using Minitab Software 6
Y Please help me solve a DOE problem - New Minitab User Using Minitab Software 36
K Minitab Lack-of-Fit Test in DOE (Design of Experiments) Using Minitab Software 4
M Injection Moulding Minitab DOE - All P Values are 0 Using Minitab Software 7
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
H Minitab DOE Analysis of Data and Transforming Using Minitab Software 4
B Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) example using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
L DOE (Design of Experiments) - Analyse Variation with Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
J 3 Level Custom DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
Q DOE (Design of Experiments) for Accounting - New to Minitab need help Using Minitab Software 5
A Conducting a DOE in Minitab - Improving Surface Finish of an Impeller Using Minitab Software 10
smryan Graphing Sigma Lines - DOE / MiniTab Using Minitab Software 4
K DOE - Variable and Discrete Data - Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
B Validation of DoE (Design of Experiements) Model - Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 3
P Taguchi method using Minitab - DOE (Design of Experiments) Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
T Minitab - Mixture DOE (Design of Experiments) - Sandability of a Gelcoat Using Minitab Software 5
D Minitab DOE - 4-factor, 2-level, 8 trial, level IV fractional DOE help needed Using Minitab Software 5
J Selecting factors for screening DoE design Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M I have 3 different factors - DOE help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Screening DOE with 7 Input factors and 4 responses - Significant factors Using Minitab Software 1
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
R Is there any Excel .xls Spreadsheet available for DOE with 3 factors? Six Sigma 1
D Interpretation of DOE interaction plot Using Minitab Software 8
C DOE - How to determine optimal settings and transposing data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M DOE: Significant factor or not Using Minitab Software 2
P When can we apply DOE (Design of Experiments)? Six Sigma 8
S DOE Analysis - Experiments with 5 Factors Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
S Blocking In a DOE Six Sigma 1
P Screening DOE: A coming up headache story Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
P Cyclic Effect Factoring in DOE (Design of Experiments) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
V Analysing Results after DOE Using Minitab Software 1
V Analysis of DOE Results and Model Finalization Using Minitab Software 4
J How to Estimate the Number of Replicates on a DOE (Design of Experiments) Six Sigma 5
R 4 Factors 3 Level DOE to determine which factors are significant Using Minitab Software 2
M Taguchi L4 Orthogonal Array Design of Experiments (DOE) in an Excel spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
V Linking the FMEA Causes & Action Plan with DOE Experiments or Experimentation Design FMEA and Control Plans 1
B DOE Question: 3 factors with 2 levels and 1 factor with 3 levels Six Sigma 2
Z Help with running 3 factor DOE factor optimization Using Minitab Software 2
P Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE Using Minitab Software 3