A "Feel Good" story - 3D Printing Creates Low-Cost Prosthetic Fingers

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Among my many trade journals, I came across this "feel good" story in the July issue New Equipment Digest. Many of you know I have a special interest in 3D printing, so the headline caught my eye.

The link is to page 34 of the online issue and I hope you are able to access it.
http://digital-edition.newequipment.com/newequipment/july_2014#pg34
The story is entitled 3D Printing Creates Low-Cost Prosthetic Fingers
The "feel good" part of this story is multi-faceted. A 3D printing company donated the printers (no strings.) The guys who worked out the designs and mechanics put the designs and instructions on the internet for free. Here's a pertinent quote from the story (the blue italics in brackets is MY comment.)
“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It might not have all the functions of $10,000 prosthetic fingers [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][each finger][/FONT], but then Robohand only needs about $150 in parts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After posting online about their success at creating Robohand, Owen and Van As soon got an email from Liam, a child who lost several fingers to Amniotic Band Syndrome. His family could not afford traditional prosthetics, especially since Liam would outgrow any prosthetic in a few months.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]To help them, and others around the world, Owen and Van As posted all the files needed to 3D-print a Robohand, as well as assembly instructions. Within three months of posting the files and information, more than 3,500 people world-wide downloaded them.”[/FONT]

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Feel unappreciated by my company - What should I do? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
B Categorization of Customer Complaint: Making Customers feel they are Top Priority Customer Complaints 4
Wes Bucey Broadband Speeds & Costs in the US - I feel cheated! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
P How much balance do you feel is present in your life? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
A Another bit of fun - Brain teaser with a maths feel Brain Teasers and Puzzles 8
E My boss wants me to issue a CAR to myself, though I don't feel I am at fault Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
S Training Evaluation Form - Evaluator feel difficulty to fill this form Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
Q Tracking a stock you feel is worth looking into? Share the wealth! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
apestate I feel this statement in a quality manual is completely regurgitive Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
K Job Outlook - How do you feel about your Job Security? Career and Occupation Discussions 20
P Screening DOE: A coming up headache story Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
S What is the moral of this story? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
AnaMariaVR2 The incredible story of diving standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
Y Definition Traffic Cycle and Chart Deck Story - Terms related to Quality Management Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Ajit Basrur Story of Steve Jobs Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
AnaMariaVR2 Coping with Cancer - Video Story Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Marc Christmas Eve 2011 - The Story of Festivus Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M Trusting ISO 13485 Certification of a Supplier... A Sad Story ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 116
Ajit Basrur The CEO Story Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Colin Top Management Changing his Perspective - A Success Story ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P I need a good QC story format for my use in problem solving technique Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Production, Consumption & Disposal - That's the 'story of stuff' ! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
T A Moving story..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
G TQM Practice (What is the difference between QC Story & PDCA?) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A The Story of an Ant - How organizations misread key contributors Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
K Belief To Faith - Great Motivator , A Real Story World News 5
D Story of Manager Apologizing to Front Line? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
D What is a QC story? How to prepare a QC Story? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
D End of Story: Document Abbreviations & Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Marc The Real Story of HDTV Standards?There Aren't Any After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
D IPL - Success Story Imported Legacy Blogs 0
R Looking for a link to a story - Because Nobody did it, the project didn't get done Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Jen Kirley A rather different kind of Union story World News 3
apestate Estimating between a gage's smallest increments - What is the true story? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Great story - better than Olympics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
D A newlywed story Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
Q An extreme but realistic example of bad management - A funny story found online Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
T Looking for good QC Story Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Quality at Toyota - Story of the Week - Toyota Closes in on GM (A Surprise?) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
Tim Folkerts A Sampling Story Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
CarolX Quality Progress April 2002 Cover Story Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
R $ saved using APQP - Can anyone share with me a success story? APQP and PPAP 9
JAMESH Adobe Acrobat-Pro Unflattened Markups not printing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Batch printing reports in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
M Informational Health Canada – Guidance Document: Supporting Evidence for Implantable Medical Devices Manufactured by 3D Printing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing/3D printing for aerospace (certification procedure) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Y Excel Automation - Printing Word Documents from within Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
R FDA Requirements - Printing Equipment Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Z Tablet Printing Technologies (NON-3D) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Pmarszal Label Printing: Medical Device related UDI Requirements - GUDID Aspects Other US Medical Device Regulations 0