SBS - The best value in QMS software

A justification to take HR out of hiring

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've been following "Ask the Headhunter" on PBS for a while. Most of what he writes makes sense, but this column of his is smack on target!

Why HR Should Get Out of the Hiring Business

One telling point he makes is about Monster.com as an example of non-value job boards:
"Wasting money. Last year, almost a billion dollars was sucked up by just one online "job board," Monster.com, which was reported as the "source of hires" only 1.3% of the time by employers surveyed. HR could be advocating for the personal touch in recruiting, but blows through massive recruiting budgets with little to show."

I'd like to see the actual survey, of course, but I presume only those companies who actually paid for Monster.com ads were included in the survey.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've been following "Ask the Headhunter" on PBS for a while. Most of what he writes makes sense, but this column of his is smack on target!

Why HR Should Get Out of the Hiring Business

One telling point he makes is about Monster.com as an example of non-value job boards:
"Wasting money. Last year, almost a billion dollars was sucked up by just one online "job board," Monster.com, which was reported as the "source of hires" only 1.3% of the time by employers surveyed. HR could be advocating for the personal touch in recruiting, but blows through massive recruiting budgets with little to show."

I'd like to see the actual survey, of course, but I presume only those companies who actually paid for Monster.com ads were included in the survey.
My company has a Monster account. But all hiring managers are given access to search and create job profiles. HR is the administrator. We do get a lot of hires from Monster because the right people are using it.

In the last several companies I've been with HR is getting less and less involved in recruiting and hiring and is more focused on benefit administration, payroll, and employment law. In fact in every instance I've moved the training program (traditionally an HR function) from HR to QA.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
So I prowled a bit in this Headhunter's website and came across this excerpt from his book. Does it sound a lot like what I've been preaching here for years?
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Take control.[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]
Machiavelli once suggested that the way to succeed in any endeavor is to rely only on those resources over which you have control, and not to count on those over which you don't. When you shoot one thousand resumes through the mail or across the Internet, you have no control over who will read them or who will respond to you (if anyone). Could there even be one thousand jobs you would actually want? Do you know enough about them to decide? One thousand blind shots at success ? blind because there's no way on earth you could prepare quickly enough for the one you might actually interview for. No control at all. Nothing to count on. That essentially random first step starts you down the road to your own interview funeral.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]So what does a serious job hunter do? Take control the best way you know how ? the way the headhunter does. Start your job search the same way you start your work day: with an assessment of exactly what work the employer needs done. Apply your considerable skills and talents to doing the necessary research and planning. In other words, figure out what it will take to do the job successfully. Then, when you meet the employer, don't wait for anyone to prod you: do the job, right there in the interview. Because if you don't, the candidate I coached will.[/FONT]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M (medical device) V&V phase: justification of acceptance criteria (statistical method ?) Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
B Per 21CFR 820.198 (b) - Justification for no investigation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
M CER Adverse events - Justification of databases searched EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
J Calibration Justification - Requirements for Measurement with a Calibrated Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
SATHYABALARAMAN Exclusion of IATF 16949 Clauses - 8.5.5.1 & 8.5.5.2 & Justification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
N Sample Size Justification for Medical Device Shelf-Life Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M Justification for Not Having a Validation Plan for a Critical Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B EMC Repeat Justification - Reducing NRTL testing required after modification of ME IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Biocompatibility omission justification for FDA 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G Exemption Filing / Exemption Justification RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
H Factory Dictated Sample Size Justification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Justification for Exclusion of Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Justification of Lifetime of a Medical Device including Component Aspects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
C Justification for No CAPA in Complaint Files Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
Q Sample Size justification for IEC 60601-1 Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Establishing an MSA Plan and Justification Suggestions wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Justification for Month End Calibration Date Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
X Justification of Decrease in Receivables, Increase in Negative Cashflows Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Sampling Plan Justification and Rationale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S MDR (Medical Device Reporting) Justification - Canned Statements Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Out of Tolerance Gage - Justification for not Recalling Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Wes Bucey Justification for organization's tax-exempt status? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
C Looking for Skills Matrix & Justification of skill levels. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Justification for not performing overseas supplier audit General Auditing Discussions 6
Q Justification/Rationale for not investigating a nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
P Reference Only Gages - "For Reference Only" Rationale (Reasoning/Justification) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
G Justification for Supplier Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Justification for not doing Gage R&R Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
J Medical Device FMEA Occurence Rating Scale Justification FMEA and Control Plans 3
J What would be the justification for exclusion of ISO9001 clause 7.5.1? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Software Justification in a Lean Environment - Convincing Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
R Frequency of self control and costs - Justification for 4 Hours vs. Every Hour IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N CE Mark Auditing - All they had for CE was a written Technical Justification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Cost Justification Based Upon Intangibles - Cost of Quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
O Is hiring more difficult right now? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
W Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
F Anyone have experience of a hiring a Social Anthropologist? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
S Is hiring a CB for certification and periodic audits an outsourced activity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Jim Wynne You've Come a Long Way, Baby - Gender in Hiring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Stijloor China is hiring, and young Americans are going Career and Occupation Discussions 16
DanteCaspian Procedure outline for hiring process Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1