SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

A Lame Phishing Email--Are we Really This Gullible?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I've been getting two or three of these just about every day in my GMail spam bucket:
FedEx
Order: SGH-0252-23433044
Order Date: Thursday, 17 January 2013, 11:10 AM
Dear Customer,
Your parcel has arrived at the post office at January 18.Our courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.
To receive your parcel, please, go to the nearest office and show this receipt.

GET & PRINT RECEIPT [hyperlink]

Best Regards, The FedEx Team.
Is is really possible that a person could be dumb enough to click on that (removed) link? Such a person would have to think that (a) FedEx packages are delivered to post offices; (b) the package in question is available at all post offices (the specific post office where the package is alleged to be isn't given); and (c) because there are multiple addressees, everyone has been sent the same package.

Usually the phishers will attempt to make their emails look authentic by using company logos and footer links, but this one always appears just like it appears above. No adornment or effort made to look plausible at all.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Many people undoubtedly are.

BTW - Oh, the irony of it all (Note the Google AdSense Ad...)!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Sure it's possible - if it weren't, the grifters would stop sending them.

My daily dose of spam emails includes

1. offers to connect with housewives who cheat on husbands
  2. male enhancements (presumably to accommodate cheating wives)
  3. Christian benevolence to share EXACTLY $53,636,251.36 (including accrued interest) to aid in my "worthy endeavours."
  4. free credit checks for merely sharing my credit card number and security code
  5. dire warnings that my bank account has been hacked and will be frozen until I can establish I am the true owner by sending my account number and password immediately
  6. Offers to be a secret shopper to test Western Union (they will send me a check for $1,000; I am to wire $900 to an individual in the Antilles and keep $100 for my fee) [of course, their check will bounce after two weeks of bouncing back and forth between banks]
The thing is I used to get similar offers by regular snail mail back in the 60s, by teletype in the 70s, FAX in the 80s, and email since 1995. Now, I'm even getting messages like this on my cell phone!

R

Richard Davison

Here's a thought; being a professional spammer I have access to a network of hacked computers that allows me to send my phishing email to 500,000 verified email addresses (at least). My previous data analysis tells me that 1 in 250 will click on the link (2000 clicks) and 1 in 250 will fall for it so 8. I know that I can get an average of ?500 or $500 before they realise what's happened, so ?4000 or $4000. You don't need that many people to be gullible!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Here's a thought; being a professional spammer I have access to a network of hacked computers that allows me to send my phishing email to 500,000 verified email addresses (at least). My previous data analysis tells me that 1 in 250 will click on the link (2000 clicks) and 1 in 250 will fall for it so 8. I know that I can get an average of ?500 or $500 before they realise what's happened, so ?4000 or $4000. You don't need that many people to be gullible!
So - is professional spammer a moonlighting job or primary job?:lmao:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I understand the scale aspect. It's perhaps ironic, but I think you probably should have referred to professional spammers in the third person because I assure that people are going to read your post and think you are one. :bigwave:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
It's the same thing with internet advertising. Here, as I look at my reports there is about a 0.7% and 1% "click through" rate.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
It's the same thing with internet advertising. Here, as I look at my reports there is about a 0.7% and 1% "click through" rate.
Oh yeah. It's always been thus:
snail mail pitches and coupon redemptions both fall in the "low return, but make it up in volume" category. Now that email is SO cheap to senders, especially with armies of spam robot machines and valid email addresses, there are bound to be some distracted folk out of thousands of recipients who will bite on the bait.

For the record:

I NEVER thought the "spammer" who posted was a real live spammer (hence the :lmao: in my post), but so what if he is? Sooner or later, some disgruntled friend or relative of a victim will hunt him down and enact some horrible retribution.

There are tales in Chicago of con artists meeting grisly fates after scamming some gangster's mom or aunt. I've seen the pictures.

R

rsimano

1%-2% Click through is what i get form my website ads.

So if the spammer sends out 500,000 emails they will get the 5-10k clicks.

The spammer does not need to rely on you giving your info to them. The Click through just installed a Trojan virus that records and stores all keyboard and mouse movement from your PC on a remote server and checks to see if there is a webcam attached. If it finds one a video feed is opened to the spammer without your knowledge. The spammer has all the time they need to review your data even watch you while your on candid camera. The spammer now has 5k-10k victims, not just 8.

T

True Position

1%-2% Click through is what i get form my website ads.

So if the spammer sends out 500,000 emails they will get the 5-10k clicks.

The spammer does not need to rely on you giving your info to them. The Click through just installed a Trojan virus that records and stores all keyboard and mouse movement from your PC on a remote server and checks to see if there is a webcam attached. If it finds one a video feed is opened to the spammer without your knowledge. The spammer has all the time they need to review your data even watch you while your on candid camera. The spammer now has 5k-10k victims, not just 8.
This is probably the case. The goal is to attempt a large number of browser exploits instead of trying to convince you to wire money. (or both) Don't even look at the web site.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Claes Gefvenberg I got a not so lame phishing mail... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Wes Bucey More Phishing Emails! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Richard Regalado Phishing and Pharming Scams All-over the World After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Jim Wynne Phishing Emails Purporting to be from Facebook & Twitter After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Wes Bucey A really DUMB Nigerian phishing letter! "FBI" (USA) Email promising dire consequences Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
J Phishing attack targets Hotmail After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Wes Bucey Can you spot the phishing scam? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
Jim Wynne Fake Microsoft Security Update Phishing Scam After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
N Actor registration EUDAMED restricted: got no Email to complete the registration EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Nice and simple invitation email to an audit kickoff meeting Internal Auditing 1
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Marc Email Addresses - Changing your email address Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S Auditor requests confidential information via Email ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
L Health Canada email re fee proposals sent to group - driving me mad! Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
L Email Review during FDA Inspection 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M FDA Email Address needed for CECATS 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Marc When did you first use what we call E-Mail (aka email) today? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
M Control of email (and other electronic media) as Records - 4.2.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
J Dummy SMTP server for email testing Software Quality Assurance 3
K What should the ITAR email disclaimer look like ? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
K Customer Address on ISO 17025 Test Report - Is email address okay? ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
J Email Reminder through Excel for APQP Planning Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
P Documents Approved via Email Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
M Cryptography Policy for Data Sent by Email IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
Wes Bucey Another twist on email spam After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
N Auto email reminder sent to customer - Calibration Due Notices Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
Jim Wynne "Massive" Epsilon Interactive Commercial Email Breach After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
C ISO 27001 and Bulk Email Policy - Your Thoughts, Please IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Marc Three Email Topics Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Jim Wynne The Lamest Nigerian Scam Email Ever Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
A Daido Steel - Contact email addresses for Daido Steel Co Ltd in Japan needed Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Need guide to write email/letter to hiring manager Career and Occupation Discussions 3
C Email and Evidence based Internal Audits Internal Auditing 3
Y Email Exposure - Inappropriate statements uncovered in emails US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 30
Wes Bucey Email and phone scams After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
P Email Retention and Binning - How to handle Emails for Retention purposes Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
Marc Email in the 18th Century - The Optical Telegraph After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Ajit Basrur FDA Launches Email Alert Subscription Service US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
O ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T How to Handle Email Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Sidney Vianna Funny "out of office" email replies Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
J Metrics and Process Performance via Email IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Yahoo email worm can infect without clicking attachments After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Company Internet / Email Usage Policy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Are email acceptable as records? Email for a customer approval of some part? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 20
Marc The End of the Internet? Will we pay for email, video streaming, etc? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
C Email and Web Access Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3