A mix of plastic and solid colorant - 'Gage' R&R on a process

B

Benoit

Hi,

I want to perform a R&R test on a process, the process is a mix of plastic and solid colorant this mix is performed on calender.
the step for this process are :
- to weigh granules of plastic
- to weigh granules of colorant
- Mix this granules on calender
- Press the blend
- cooling the plate
- measure the color on spectrophotometer.

The balance R&R is good (<10%)
The spectro R&R is < 15 %)

I want to know if this test is sense or not.

Benoit

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
If I understand what you're saying, the variability of the balance adds to the variability of the process. It measures the input materials.

The variability of the spectrophotometer is the measurement system variability you have. It's measuring the output of the process.

Whether the results make sense or not depends on what you or your customer needs. If you do a capability study on the material and it shows that you have a high capability of meeting requirements, then 15% R&R may be OK. If your capability is marginal, then 15% may be too much variability.

I hope I understood your question - I had to make a few assumptions in my answer...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Can there be a mix of good and bad parts for a variable GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Mix between two Tablets Batch of the same Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
T Packaging Box Mix Joint - Corrective Action help Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
R Paint Procedure on How to Mix Paint and Water wanted Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Howard Atkins Marketing and Quality Mix Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Hershal Want to mix it up in political and similar discussions? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R Control on Setting piece mix-up - Are there any fool proof systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Idea To Prevent Mix-up of Medical gases Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
kedarg6500 Potential Failure Mode - Mix Charge for Hardness - Casting Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Painting experts: Coverage area for each litre of paint and thinner mix Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Product Mix - Routing Problem - LINGO or EXCEL Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
F My boss wants a mix of Procedure and Form - Forklift and Manlift Equipment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Product mix problem using excel .xls - Can anybody throw in some light? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
B Mix of leaded & leadfree components - Affected Solder Joints Quality - Vibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Marc Twin Mars rovers - Instrument mix-up - Instruments installed in the wrong rovers World News 2
D Limiting Scope of TS 16949 Certification - Mix of Automotive and Non-Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Mix(ed) up Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Short Lead Times - APQP and PPAP - Commercial Product Mix APQP and PPAP 10
D IMDS for Like Components (Interior Plastic, Leather/vinyl Armrest, etc.)other than Color APQP and PPAP 1
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
C ABS plastic : which IEC 60601-1 tests to redo? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Nicole Desouza Plastic Extrusion of Medical Device Components - No ISO or AS 9100 Certifications Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
erozas2003 Color test on molded plastic parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Z CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Robotic Ultrasonic Foam onto Plastic "Weld" applicable? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M Informational 2019 Meeting Materials of the General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational The USFDA Announces General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee Meeting on March 25-26, 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
John Broomfield Cleaning plastic from our oceans - The Ocean Cleanup Venture Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 30
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
smryan Chemistry and physics of plastic behavior - Any plastics experts in the house? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
K Sampling Plan for transparent tubular plastic parts from 32 different cavities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L I need an example rework procedure/instruction for injected plastic parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Finishes on Plastic Molded Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
D Hot Plate Welded Plastic Strength Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Testing Large Plastic Pipe Imported Legacy Blogs 0
L Product Requalification for Plastic Injected Parts APQP and PPAP 3
A Plastic Injection Molding Process Troubleshooting Guide Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Customer Requirement for Sorting - Visual Defect on Plastic Part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M How to fix a plastic bag on leg with a bandage to take a shower Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
M Kinds of plastic for molded parts in a main frame as structure Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Best Type of Grease for Vex Plastic Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Lot Numbers of Plastic Disposables in an LDT (laboratory developed test) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4