A philosophical look at life

T

TC in SA

Good afternnon all:bigwave:

After reading some of the posts concerning depression and all other kinds of lifes ailments. It got me thinking of something I was once told. This prompted me to fill you in on this particular story, as I think that while most of us are juggling our available time with our jobs, sport and family, I think this story, in it's simplicity tells us quite a bit.

For those of you who have already heard it, please bear with me.

A professor walked into a university class one day holding a very large glass jar. He filled this large glass jar with big rocks. He then asked the class, "Is this glass jar full", to which they all shouted, YES!!. "this glass jar is not full", he replied and then proceeded to fill the gaps between the glass jar and the rock with fine gravel.

"Is this glass jar now full", he called out. Not to be outdone again the class responded, NO!!. "Correct", he replied and filled the glass jar even more by pouring sand between the cracks that was seperating the gravel and the rocks.

"Is this glass jar now full", he called out again. The class, now very wary of the result shouted NO!!. "Correct again" he replied, and proceeded to pour water in that was soaked up by the gravel and sand.

"This glass jar is now full", he shouted. "But can someone please tell us the moral of this experiment", he asked. After much deliberation, one of the students stood up and said, " I believe it means that no matter how full your schedule is, you can find some space to fit other things in as well", he replied.

"That is not correct", replied the professor. "What this experiment shows us, is that if you do not put the big things in first, you willneverfit them in at all

This means, in life, if one does not put the important things first, it is impossible to try and squeeze in some quality family time here and kids time there. We are all in a busy work schedule and pressure from others to produce the goods. If one does not take the time to realise what the truely important things are in your life....... is it all worth it in the end.

I hope some of you enjoyed this. I think it makes a lot of sense if one has to think about the permanent aspects of your life, and the fluctuating ones. Family is and always will be permanent. Jobs however, which often dictate to us how we treat our family are optional.

Just a thought

Regards

TC

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

I have heard it before and it is a good topic that deserves retelling now and again.

Should this be in the Common Sense Poll??

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Perhaps you are right, Al. I like hearing this story from time to time to catch me in the moment. What was I doing at the time I heard it? Was what I was doing interfering with what is more important, or does it serve it in some fashion? Have I overlooked the obvious or only given superficial consideration to prioritizing things?

I think if we all spent a little more time thinking about things, we would develop better plans. Anyway, just thinking (or not) out loud...

Kevin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M PPE shelf life Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Expected life span of Medical devices - X-Ray based diagnostic medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Medical Device Shelf life studies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Kuldeep Singh How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Cytotoxicity at the end of life-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Shelf life of molded and extruded pebax Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R ISO 14001:2015 Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
R Product life cycle and compliance obligation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
K Food Shelf Life Stability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Life Cycle Assessment of a Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Device Shelf Life Extension to 48 months without involving the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Y Shelf Life of Non-Sterile Disposable Drug Inhaler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shimonv Over-Labeling Sterile Packaging - Shelf Life 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Ethylene Oxide Sterile Implantable Medical Device Shelf Life Extension Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Accelerated Service Life Test for Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q How to apply 21 CFR Part 11 and/or cGMP in the Life Sciences industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N Sample Size Justification for Medical Device Shelf-Life Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
W Determining Asset Life or Depreciation Life for M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Class 2 Medical Device Use Life Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A End of Life for Medical Mobile App (Stand Alone Software) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5