A Procedure for an Environmental Management Program

P

Peter West

I know i am stupid and i know it is on the post-attachment list but i cant find a Environmental Management Plan anywhere. I think i am "backwards" when it comes to searching the Cove, as had similar problems previously. If anyone can link to it and save me a few hours looking through all the documents i would be eternally thankful.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Enviromental Management System (EMS) - University Student Looking for information

I know i am stupid and i know it is on the post-attachment list but i cant find a Environmental Management Plan anywhere. I think i am "backwards" when it comes to searching the Cove, as had similar problems previously. If anyone can link to it and save me a few hours looking through all the documents i would be eternally thankful.

Peter,

I searched in the Post Attachments List on "EMS."

Anything there that you can use?

Stijloor.

P

Peter West

Re: Enviromental Management System (EMS) - University Student Looking for information

Thanks for that. I am re-writing one part of a previous EMS manual and under the section explaining Objectives and targets, it mentions an Environmental Management Plan that apparently will "describe the methods by which the agreed Objectives and Targets shall be achieved..."

Now to me that sounds like a form that backs up the manual/operating procedure, but the attachment in existence is very weak and may as well not exist.

We have an implementation plan in place for the EMS on the whole but this led me to believe we need an Enviro Management Plan (as opposed to a simple standard Word doc. statement) specifically for detailing objectives and targets. I wondered if anyone had used a tried and tested version before i crack open my Excel.

PS: couldnt see anything in that list but going to have an indepth clickfest to review those documents.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

PS: couldn't see anything in that list but going to have an indepth clickfest to review those documents.

Peter,

I like your word "clickfest." :D

That's what we sometimes have to do to find the gems. The titles do not always adequately convey actual content.

Stijloor.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

To show how our targets, goals and programmes will be achieved we simply show the auditor our KPIs and our Improvement Projects. Our KPIs are broken down into Routine and Improvement

Routine KPIs are supported by procedures, work instructions, forms, training, etc.

Improvement KPIs (i.e., these have improving goals and levels of performance) are supported by detailed projects and 5W1H, including resources and means of how we will achieve our plans that will, in turn, support the ever-improving results of the KPIs.

Let's say, your objectives include:
  1. Maintain existing level of 95% recycling rate until 2011.
  2. Improve response to radiation alarms to 100% by 2010.

For #1, our auditor looks for our KPI that tracks the results of our recycling rate and for the procedures (and awareness of personnel) that support the recycling programme and initiatives.

For #2, our auditor reviews our plans on how to improve our response rate to radiation alarms. This may include a new system with different noises to indicate different alarms, or new procedures or new training...it's really up to us to determine what we will do to achieve our target. If our KPI currently shows a response rate of 75%, the auditor will expect to see ever increasing goals up to 31-Dec-2009. In January 2001, when we publish the KPI results from December 2009, the results should show 100%.

Any time expected results are not achieved - be it for a routine or improvement KPI - the auditor is shown our response (including actions to get things back under control).

That's what we show, anyway, when it comes to the supporting plan.

J

John Nabors - 2009

Here's a handy resource (and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory has lots of others, just Google 'ISO 14001 Oak Ridge National Lab').

Attachments

• ISO14001.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 896

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Looking for a Procedure

I have moved these posts and separated them from the OP, since it now relates to procedures, not research for a student.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Looking for a Procedure-Enviromental Management System (EMS)

You're lost Peter, it's Environmental Management Program.....and it refers to the planned course of action you are going to take to achieve your O&T's.

The Program must identify:

Responsibilities..."Who" is responsible for the for making it work at the organizational level (and at the funtional level as well if appropriate)

Means..."How" you intend to achieve the O&T's (the actual way you are going to do it to include any necessary resources)

Timeframe..."When" you intend to accomplish or reach your O&T's (it can be in phases if necessary)

You EMP must be documented (refer to 4.4.1 & 4.4.6 the requirement is very specific).

As for a EMP example, it depends upon the objective. Here are a couple I found and it's so simple a 3rd grader can help.

Attachments

• Example 4.3.3.ppt
    60.5 KB · Views: 403

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Looking for a Procedure-Enviromental Management System (EMS)

You're lost Peter, it's Environmental Management Program

My mistake. I didn't change the original title when I moved this thread; and kept the basic Title with some modifications. It is now corrected to reflect Environmental Management Program.

Top Bottom