A question on Calibration on In-line Laser Micrometer

I'm currently working on setting up the proper level of calibration need to meet a 4:1 on laser micrometers we have online. The laser micrometers have a resolution of .0000001" and the smallest product we measure is .00025". I believe that I we need a pin gauge that is XX grade with a tolerance of .00001". Can someone let me know if I'm correct? Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: 4:1 Calibration on In-line Laser Micrometer

I'm currently working on setting up the proper level of calibration need to meet a 4:1 on laser micrometers we have online. The laser micrometers have a resolution of .0000001" and the smallest product we measure is .00025". I believe that I we need a pin gauge that is XX grade with a tolerance of .00001". Can someone let me know if I'm correct? Thanks in advance.
First, I assume you want to ensure the mic can measure something 4x smaller than your normal product measurement? You're not really looking for a 4:1 for "setting up the proper level of calibration need to meet a 4:1 on laser micrometers we have", right? I want to read it correctly.
The mic has a laser with a specific wavelength. What is it? For instance, our helium-neon laser manometer's wavelength is 25 millionths inch (0.000025 in.). That is the smallest sensitivity/count the interferometer can resolve. The display is 0.0001 inch Hg.

Is your mic really resolving one-tenth millionth?

Anyway, if you can measure correctly reference pin gages that are at least 4 times smaller than your product, then that would give me a warm fuzzy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Calibration Laboratory Dimensional Temperature Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Master Gage Block Calibration (We have 2 sets) question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Torque Wrench Calibration question Service Industry Specific Topics 9
T Gage Block Calibration Requirements question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
I Gage Block Calibration/Measurement Control Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M ISO 13485 Calibration Supplier Evaluation Requirements question Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Torque Tester Calibration Traceability and Certificate question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
JodiB Balance Calibration Verification question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C 21 CFR Part 820 - Question About Calibration Procedure Content Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Calibration Training and Certification question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Quality Procedure for 7.6 Calibration Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
H Calibration Procedure Level of Detail - ISO Procedure question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
K Pyrometry Question - Furnace and Oven Instrument Calibration IAW AMS 2750 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
P Portable Surface Roughness Tester Calibration Question (SPI model 14-514-4) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G 50 Turn Transformer Coil Calibration Technical question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C Accredited Calibration Certificate Content - ISO 17025 Section 5.10.4.2 Question ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
N Calibration Report Uncertainty question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Mohammed Gouda Old calibration standard methods - Question for ISO 17025 auditors..... ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S Audit and Calibration question - does verification alone meet the requirements? General Auditing Discussions 5
C Pin Gauge Calibration using a Micrometer - Accuracy & Calibration Level Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S Calibration Manager - Version 3 - Field for Calculation of Limits question Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 0
C Internal Audit of Internal Calibration Laboratory - Inspection sample size question Internal Auditing 2
B Electric 0-8" Caliper Calibration Tolerance Question. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Calibration - My question concerns the calibration of "all" gages. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N ASL Question for GitHub ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T GDT Callout Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3