Resource icon

A Rational Basis for Design Verification 0

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Ronen E submitted a new resource:

A Rational Basis for Design Verification - A method and a rationalisation (including statistical) for medical devices design verification

The purpose of this document is to consolidate a thought process, online research results and some insights, and to provide a rationale-set and a method for use in medical devices design verification.

I researched the topic and prepared this summary with specific focus on medical devices. This field has unique characteristics, and thus my definitions, assumptions, insights and methods are not necessarily transferable to any other field. This summary is intended to be useful...
Read more about this resource...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thank you everyone who showed interest and downloaded my article.

If any of you would like to share any feedback, I would highly appreciate it. If you disagree with something, If anything is unclear, or wrong in your opinion, if you'd like anything else included - I'd like to know about it. I want to make this article as accessible and as useful as I can.

Thanks,
Ronen.

James

Involved In Discussions
Ronen E submitted a new resource:

A Rational Basis for Design Verification - A method and a rationalisation (including statistical) for medical devices design verification

Read more about this resource...
Hi Ronen

I really like your paper. However, I'm wondering how the principle may apply where there can be no assumption of homogeneity? For example, we make items written to a prescription and that conform to specifications detailed in a technical file and are made in line with a procedure/ work instruction. They all have homogeneous characteristics (the same materials are used and the procedure for making them is the same) but they will not conform *exactly* because dimensions will be written to suit the patient's requirements. Any views?

Cheers

James

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I will let Ronen E speak for himself, and am the first to acknowledge that he's the expert on this subject not me. At the same time, I know a bit about "homogeneity," having spent several years of my youth learning how to pronounce it, along with homogeneous, heterogeneity, and heterogeneous, all without so much as having to take a breath first. :)

So I would say that "homogeneous" is not found in nature, but a term to be defined. It can mean "conforms to specifications" or "conforms to procedure/work instructions." How much that means the specific items vary from each other, those are the details wherein you find the statistical devil. Your materials are not actually "the same" from device to device, nor is the extent to which they meet specifications. That's what "tolerances" are all about.

All yours, Ronen E.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Ronen

I really like your paper. However, I'm wondering how the principle may apply where there can be no assumption of homogeneity? For example, we make items written to a prescription and that conform to specifications detailed in a technical file and are made in line with a procedure/ work instruction. They all have homogeneous characteristics (the same materials are used and the procedure for making them is the same) but they will not conform *exactly* because dimensions will be written to suit the patient's requirements. Any views?

Cheers

James
Hi James,

I'm glad you like the paper.

The concept of Homogeneity in this context comes from the world of SPC, i.e. it relates to serial production. When it comes to individual "unique" products, there is little utility and need for statistical handling. I would say that in your case you should verify only those aspects of the device that are not unique (i.e. are not affected by specific-patient customisation) based on the methodology in my article. All other aspects that require verification should be verified 100%, i.e. checked (again, not necessarily tested) in each and every unique device unit, and documented in it's production record. In the case of custom/customised devices, looking at design verification and production verification (you may call the latter "production release", "QC" etc.) is somewhat redundant, because in a way one "designs" and makes just one unit of that "model".

I admit I wrote the article with serial production in mind, as I hardly deal with custom/customised devices. However, I think that some of the concepts and methods may still be useful for custom/customised devices.
So I would say that "homogeneous" is not found in nature, but a term to be defined. It can mean "conforms to specifications" or "conforms to procedure/work instructions." How much that means the specific items vary from each other, those are the details wherein you find the statistical devil. Your materials are not actually "the same" from device to device, nor is the extent to which they meet specifications. That's what "tolerances" are all about.
Thank you.

I think that in the current context Homogeneity is well-defined (refer to Dr. Wheeler's articles for example). To be precise, my article is mostly concerned with whether the subject samples come from a Homogeneous Process or not, and it also prescribes a method for determining that. I tried to be as unambiguous as I could in doing that, and I estimate that in a large majority of the cases the steps I listed will suffice. However, I acknowledge that in complicated/borderline cases the prescribed instructions will call for more judgement calls and analysis acumen. I tried to point in one possible direction for when that happens, but it's difficult to prescribe precise and detailed instructions to cover all possible anomalies and scenarios. I also think that even just realising that one is in that area is valuable, because it means one is already off the highway, i.e. the process is not as robust as it might/should be and maybe it's time to stop, think, and maybe go a few steps back in the D&D process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Screening and Screening Rational Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Rational subgrouping in case of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A IEC 60601-1-2 - EMC Retesting Rational - Minor Component Changes IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Rational Subgroup and Estimation of Variability Due to Common Causes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B How to apply a Rational Subgroup Plan to Various Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Help on Rational Subgrouping: How to Subgroup Data given... Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Marc ISO 17024 - New accreditation standard - What is it? Is it rational? Do we need this? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
Marc Rational calendar with 364 days - Extra week celebrating Isaac Newton Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Q Using Rational Unified Process for Medical Device Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
ScottK Statistical basis for 30 pieces for FAI 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A How to systemically improve product quality in short-term and long-term basis? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
W "On An Annual Basis" - Definition ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C Occurrence Ranking: What is the basis for 1 in 1,000,000? APQP and PPAP 4
A System Audit on the basis of VDA 6.3 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
M What is the basis of ALARP (As Low as Reasonably Practicable) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
M Checksheet for each QC department to record their daily tasks on an hourly basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
D Physical Movement Deterrent for Quarantine of Goods on a Pallet-by-Pallet Basis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
L Regulatory basis for the practice of quality as the last signatory on approvals 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Should I Audit OHSAS 18001 on a Contract or Site Basis? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Basis for the Derivation of Inspection Levels (I, II, III & Special) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
Q Basis for Verifying Corrective Actions and Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
R Minitab for I-MR - Monitoring Process on Temporary Basis & Temporary Limits Using Minitab Software 6
A How to Rate a Risk Acceptability and on What Basis is it Measured? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D What is the basis for having 1 or 6 Quality Manuals? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Basis for Establishing Gage Tolerancing - "Gage Maker's Tolerances" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Basis used for Calibration or Verification of Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Discussion with Plant Manager (on the basis of ISO/TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Please comment on revision status of document on a per page basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 25
O The Basis of %GRR (% Gage R&R) and other Statistics - Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
V Quality System documents - Can Amendments be made on an 'as and when' basis? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V Should We Evaluate Suppliers on a Regular Basis or only when Issues Arises? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
T Basis for Calibration Method and Intervals (Frequency) - FAA approved repair station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
T What is the basis for retained documents? Medical device manufacturer - FDA/GMP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
F Attribute Gage R&R Basis for Applications - Personal Perception Criteria Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Equipment calibration standard traceability - The basis used for calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Confusion - Which tools are used and why on a daily basis? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A Where no standards exist the basis used for calibration shall be recorded General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Scott Catron Statistical basis for square-root sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
Z Ford Requirement - Annual Layout - Completely re-validate parts on an annual basis? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
A Measurement Brain Teaser - What constant is the basis for the meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
V Is an 8D Report suitable as a basis for the effcetiveness of preventive action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
A Design Process Vs Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1