A slightly frivolous question about Naming a Process

ousgg

Starting to get Involved
OK, don't take this 'problem' too seriously, but I would like some suggestions.

We are the UK arm of a worldwide manufacturer. One of our defined business processes involves purchasing of goods made in our various other manufacturing branches and repacking them for the UK market.

This process used to be called 'Factored Goods', but one of our bureaucrats has had a bit of a strop because this isn't - in his view - what Factored Goods actually means. Problem is, I'm really struggling to come up with a concise alternative.

Any thoughts about a suitable alternative name for this process?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've never heard the term 'Factored Goods' before. That said, I'm one of those people who likes when those that bring "problems" to the table, also bring solutions. Does this manager have a preferred term in mind?

In the meantime:
  • Re-Branding of Internally-Purchased Goods
  • Re-Packaging of Internally-Purchaed Goods
  • TBD Because 'Factored Goods' Doesn't Work For One Person (just seeing if you're still reading)

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Do you actually "buy" them from a branch (ie do you pay them money), or do they transfer goods to you as an internal transaction?
Either way, the process sounds like "Repackaging Goods for the UK Market".
What terminology suits the people who are involved in the process?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Internally sourced
Self sourced
Repack goods
Anastasia
Sister company sourcing
Redivisioned goods

All are possible names to use....good luck with the coddling!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

We are the UK arm of a worldwide manufacturer. One of our defined business processes involves purchasing of goods made in our various other manufacturing branches and repacking them for the UK market.

This process used to be called 'Factored Goods', but one of our bureaucrats has had a bit of a strop because this isn't - in his view - what Factored Goods actually means. Problem is, I'm really struggling to come up with a concise alternative.

I think the term is OK if you are purchasing goods from other manufacturing branches at a discount., or doing the repackaging on commission basis.
Factored goods are products which are purchased sold or distributed by a site but which undergo no process at the audited factory. Factored goods are often products bought in by a company to compliment the range of products manufactured at the site to provide a more comprehensive product range. Packing or repacking operations are classed as a process and would not be classed as factored goods. Source: Frequently Asked Questions BRC Food Standard Issue 6

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I've never heard the term 'Factored Goods' before.
Factoring is earning a commission by selling goods made by another. In my company, factored goods is a term applied to product manufactured by another company, but brand labeled with our company name. We use it to fill gaps in our product lineup.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

What about Inter-company goods or Inter-company repackaging?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 10993 - Repeat tests necessary if colour changes slightly? Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
T Vernier Caliper Accuracy Issue - Inside measurements were slightly off General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P A slightly alternative Turtle Diagram Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
C CAP for Medical Device Class Is product - Slightly confused - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Why the tight control limits? Histogram of the data is slightly skewed to the left Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
M Question for Auditors - "Off the Record" Conversation? General Auditing Discussions 14
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Anonymous16-2 Labeling Question (Dietary Supplements/Food) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Question for: Cg & Cgk calculation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N ASL Question for GitHub ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Another DFAR question 252.225-7009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
F Conflict Mineral Smelter Question RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K My question is, what/when is a nonconformity? Therefore what requires an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Question: How to create an IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
Q Supplier audit question cataloque VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Ed Panek Rule 11 Question - CE approvals for software as well as the medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Company Moving - Relabelling Question Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J IEC 60601-1, ed 3.1 - Blue icon question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4