A student with questions on TS 16949 vs. ISO 9001

J

Jeffrey

A student with questions

Hi,

I am a student at Purdue University majoring in Computer Integrated Manufacturing. Currently, I am taking a class on quality management. One of the topics we are discussing is TS 16949 and how it is different from ISO 9000. So I was wondering if any one could give me some specific information on the key differences needed for a company to move from ISO 9000 to TS 16949. Any help or links to pages with this type of information would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Hello Jeff. Welcome to the Cove!!

First, let me suggest that you use the Search feature here at the Cove to see if it brings up the kind of information you are looking for. My guess is this: you will probably get plenty of different tidbits, some in line with your question on comparison, plus a bunch of links to information that may be peripheral to your question, but that may lead to deeper understanding and insight.

The Cove is a great resource to the Novice as well as the Advanced. The key is in navigation of the Cove to get exactly what you want. If you have no success using the Search feature, post back here. There are plenty here that can help you solve your problem or answer your questions.

Kind regards,

Kevin:bigwave:

D

D.Scott

Hi Jeff and welcome.

First, let's make sure we are talking apples to apples.

ISO 9000 is the International Standard covering Quality Management Systems - Fundamentals and Vocabulary.

ISO 9001 is the International Standard covering Quality Management Systems - Requirements.

TS 16949 is the new Automotive standard which includes ISO 9001 and considers ISO 9000 and ISO 9004 in its approach.

There is a current Automotive Standard titled QS-9000 which is normally considered when discussing a transition.

Just to get on the right track for responses, do you want to compare a transition of a company from QS to TS-16949, a transition from ISO 9001/9002 : 1994 to TS-16949, or from ISO 9000 : 2000 to TS-16949?

Sorry to throw in the confusion but I feel your clarification is needed if we are to give you some good input for your class.

Dave

R

Randy Stewart

Hey Boilermaker!!!

Jeff,
There are a lot of documents posted in the threads here. Look at the Gap Analysis forms I think they would be your best bet. The first question is Do you know what ISO 9000 was all about? If you don't understand what the IOS was trying to do then you won't really understand what the changes affect or why they were made. Having graduated from another BIG 10 School I have to throw this in -- GO BLUE --

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Student Question - Help needed with statistics questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R MDR 745/2017 keynote - I'm a student and I'm writing a thesis EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Internal Auditor vs. Public Accountant - Accounting Student Needing Help Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M [Student] Documented Process vs Documented Procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G Senior Project for BS Mechanical Engineering Student Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Ron Rompen Quick question on results of Student-t test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
F ISO 22000 Disadvantages - Student Exam Question Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
M Average Run Length (Student Question) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Autocorrelation Techniques (Student Question) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Standard Deviation Estimation Formula - Student Question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Calculation of the Mean - Student Question about Cpk calculation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
D Multiple regression with student t distribution Using Minitab Software 1
S Student's T distribution/table & d2,d2* tables General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Drawing an OC Curve from a Sampling Plan - Student Problem Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Product Recall Plan for an Electrical Gadget - Student Project Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
J ISO 9001 and Public Schools - Under continuous fire for low student achievement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 85
Z Injection Molding cycle time benchmarking - Ball State University student Benchmarking 10
B MTBF calculations - Three student homework problems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
E Definition Multi-Agent-Based Simulation on Supply Chain Management - Student Seeking Information Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
E Definition Quality Control Circle - Student Seeking Information Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
T College Student, looking for advice on Engineering Career and Occupation Discussions 7
P Counting the occurences of a value in a column - Minitab student release 12 Using Minitab Software 4
M Information about APQP, PPAP and MSI for TS 16949 implementation (student) APQP and PPAP 1
M Student searching for a TS 16949 Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Question about High School Student Travel Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
H Describing Processes - Where do I start? (student) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Student needs advice on his career in the field of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Career and Occupation Discussions 14
S Student requests help on Lean Manufacturing - Masters in industrial engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
B How to do the Control Plan and MSA - Student needs help FMEA and Control Plans 6
C Master's Student finishing up in Dec. Wondering what jobs to look for? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
L Need brief and clear description of ISO 9001 QMS quality standard - Student report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Uncertainity & Student's T distribution - Calculus of uncertainty in calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2