Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
From: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20011227.html

What I Want for Christmas
A Supercomputer in Every Garage!
By Robert X. Cringely

Reality has lately been a little too REAL for me. The economy is tanking, we're at war, the national and international situations simply cry out for escape, denial, and delusion. Why worry when you can nerd out, instead? That's when I decided that what I really wanted for Christmas was my very own supercomputer. Doesn't everyone?

Ignoring for the moment the pressing question of why any individual would actually need a supercomputer, I prefer to revel in the fact that it is even possible to have one. We live at a time when processor and memory prices are at historic lows allowing enormous amounts of computing power to be accumulated in the back bedrooms of houses like mine. The minute I realized that I could have a supercomputer, I had to have one. But would Santa come through? Given all the poor children in the world far more deserving of gifts, I decided to take the obligation from Santa's shoulders and build the supercomputer myself.

Building a supercomputer these days is pretty much a matter of throwing a lot of processors and memory into a big box or boxes, then finding some cheap clustering OS (usually Linux) to make it all work together. My role model in this venture is KLAT2, the Kentucky Linux Athlon Testbed 2, which in a recent ranking came up as the 200th most powerful supercomputer on the planet. I love the idea of a supercomputer from Kentucky, but I love even more the clever design of KLAT2, which is a cluster of 64 PCs each running a 700-MHz Athlon processor for a total of more than 64 gigaflops of number-crunching power. Built by University of Kentucky graduate students led by professor Hank Dietz, KLAT2 cost only $41,000, which is cheap for a supercomputer.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ajit Basrur China's Tianhe - 1A Wrests Supercomputer Title From U.S. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
J Can signed agreements over-ride review of every "contract" under ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
E Does every metallic part have to be protectively earthed (class I ME)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R In a software development company: Is every bug reported by the customer a complaint? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
U SI 13 - Not Every Process Requires an Efficiency Measure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Howard Atkins MSAs are now required on every feature of the control plan - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
K Is evidence of second party audits required for every supplier? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Interpretation or Definition of ‘Once Every 5 Days’ ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Defect Rate for asking for an RMA - Company wants an RMA for every defect found Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
A Is normal for FORD EU ask for the PSW every year APQP and PPAP 5
A Identifying context for every process in an organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
J Is it sufficient to send in my instruments for calibration every second year? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Must every procedure be proceeded by a policy? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
AmandaMusser Personal names in docs - Goes against every documenation practice I know! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
D Anyone Practicing Approval Signatures on Every Page of a Doc? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Conduct Customer Satisfaction Survey for every submitted Bid? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Run a batch every year to revalidate the validated condition? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
O Is a full Internal Audit cycle every year required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Is it mandatory to revise MSDS every three years? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
L Does every document on a project require a document number? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Audit Design Process every Surveillance Audit - AS9104 Requirement? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Ajit Basrur 10 Things Extraordinary People Say Every Day Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
K Autoclave Log - Do we have to monitor the usage for every load? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
A Addressing every clause in ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
N New to ISO 9001 - NCR for every defect? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
A Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Are signatures required on every page of a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
K Customer issues invalid SCAR and Chargeback every March Customer Complaints 6
F Is every activity required to be mentioned in BSC strategy map ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C Does every procedure need to be included within a policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Q 510K Checklist that considers every Design Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
V Do I need dimensionals performed for PPAP for every revision change? APQP and PPAP 2
E Every US state has Medical Device Regulations beside FDA Regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
T Living Documents which change every day - Control or Uncontrolled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Drawing Review Records Required for every Drawing (Print)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Process Objectives and Metrics - Should every documented process have objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Is a Nonconformance Report required for every Customer Complaint? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
C BMU=CMC for every Calibration? ILAC Policy Clarification Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
K Must every CCP (Critical Control Point) have a (documented) procedure? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
Q Does 21 CFR 820 really revise every year? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4