A2LA Calibration Program Requirements, September 2005 II. Section 2.1.3.b.3

S

Stephen Rubino

A2LA Calibration Program Requirements, September 2005 II. Section 2.1.3.b.3 requires, “when parameters are certified to be within specified tolerance, the associated uncertainty of the measurement result is properly taken into account with respect to the tolerance by a documented procedure or policy established and implemented by the laboratory that defines the decision rules used by the laboratory for declaring in or out of tolerance conditions.”

What are they really looking for here? :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
A2LA Calibration Program Requirements, September 2005 II. Section 2.1.3.b.3 requires, “when parameters are certified to be within specified tolerance, the associated uncertainty of the measurement result is properly taken into account with respect to the tolerance by a documented procedure or policy established and implemented by the laboratory that defines the decision rules used by the laboratory for declaring in or out of tolerance conditions.”

What are they really looking for here? :)
Hi Stephen,

Let me first state that I used to work at an A2LA Accredited laboratory, but I have not been involved with that company for about six years.

They are saying they want a document procedure that defines how your laboratory concludes whether a measurement meets or does not meet the specification. This procedure is a statement of your decision rule, that includes the effect of measurement uncertainty.

For any measurement, there is a measurement uncertainty. Let a specification be 0.995 in to 1.005 in. Assume that I have determined the measurement uncertainty at a 95% confidence, when measuring a nominal 1.000 in dimension, to be 0.002 in, or the true value may be 0.998 in to 1.002 in.

Case 1. My measurement is 1.000 in, then I conclude the true value of the measurement is within specification.

Case 2. My measurement is 1.010 in, then I conclude the true value of the measurement is out of specification.

Case 3. My measurement is 1.006 in, my decision rule states whether I can consider the measurement uncertainty of 0.002 in, and conclude the measurement is within specification, or my decision rule states that the measurement is out of specification.

Case 4. My measurement is 1.004 in, my decision rule states whether I can consider the measurement uncertainty of 0.002 in, and conclude the measurement is out of specification, or my decision rule states that the measurement is within specification.

This is also known as guardbanding. The decision rules are dependent on the impact of a wrong decision, and most likely are different for different types of products. Having a number 2 pencil be a little long or a little short, compared with the specification, has a much different impact, than the length of a jet engine turbine blade.

If your laboratory is an independent testing and/or calibration laboratory, your decision rules may also need to reflect what your specific client requires for the part you test or calibrate for them. This is because your clients may have much different results, depending if a good item is considered bad, or a bad item is considered good.

The simple days of good or bad, black or white, in tolerance or out of tolerance, are gone.

Wes R.

S

Stephen Rubino

Thank you Wes!

I suspected as much - it means basically defining the parameters of in/out of tolerence and bringing in a "5 Whys" methodology to qualify how the Technician would determine same and address it for internal application or, as you say, to account for possible impact on external parties (such as when calibrating for a customer).

Thanks again!

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Calibration of equipment in an A2LA accredited testing laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D A2LA/ISO GUIDE 25 QUALIFIED LABS WITH FLOW CALIBRATION IN THIER SCOPE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc NVLAP vs. A2LA - NVLAP policy on acceptance of calibration laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
R Do I need A2LA Accreditation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Environmental Temperature Chamber Testing & A2LA requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D A2LA Certification and moving to a new Facility General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Q Adding to our A2LA Scope of Accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G A2LA's ISO/IEC 17025 and Accreditation Training - Opinions from previous attendees ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
QMMike TS 16949 - A2LA or ISO/IEC 17025 required for material testing? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S A2LA requirements for Electrical Uncertainty Budgets - Measurements with a slope Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
A ILAC explanation - IEC60601-1 testing certified by an A2LA laboratory IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E A2LA Proficiency Test Requirement help needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O When do we need to be A2LA/ISO 17025 certified? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
E A2LA Laboratory Management Requirements or Qualifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M When can you be "accredited" and not be "accredited" with A2LA? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
gard2372 A2LA & ISO/IEC 17025:1999 vs. European Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
R AS7101 for Materials Testing - Is this similar to 17025 or A2LA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J A2LA vs. other accreditors General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Field Decay Test - Can any one recommend few independent and A2lA accredited labs? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
T Providing A2LA w/ Proficiency Test results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Looking for company to calibrate cutting dies with A2LA, IAS, or NVLAP accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J A2LA here, my boss wants to open China office now General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Hershal A2LA has completely terminated involvement in NACLA General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
W ISO 17025 or A2LA, what?s this?? ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
D If you are TS16949 certified, it also covers A2LA certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Labels identifying accredited standards - Considering making labels with A2LA Logo General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Maintaining and tracking laboratory voltage standards - A2LA audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Is A2LA the US National equivalent to ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
D A2LA vs. NADCAP - Could someone explain the differences? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
Q Seeking: A2LA to ISO 17025 Audit Template ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
F Which NAVLAP or A2LA Laboratory Accreditation Body? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Differences and similarities between ISO 17025 and A2LA certification? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
K A2LA laboratory requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R 17025, guide 25, A2LA (cal.,meas.,antest) ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L A2LA - Sending testing to a non-accredited lab if customer doesn't require A2LA? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc A2LA has a Traceability Policy that was issued 08/2000 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc APLAC - A2LA - ISO/IEC Guide 43-1 (1997) - 17025 - Laboratory Proficiency Testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Marc NVLAP and A2LA Guide 25 Interpretations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc A2LA Contact and Guide 25 Comment - NOTE: Guide 25 is long since dead and buried General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
E Calibration-Conditional Pass Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
S Calibration Interval calculation for ECG Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 58
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12