A2LA Certification and moving to a new Facility

I am not an A2LA expert, nor do I play one on T.V.. But I got a call from a friend that asked a question I can't answer. I could not find anything in a search. Here's the issue.

My friend has a company that is A2LA certified. They want to move to a larger facility. They have been told that if they move, they will lose their certification and it will take 2-3 years to re-certify. That seems a bit extreme. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hi db,

In general I can offer a site titled A2LA Explanations for the ISO/IEC 17025 Requirements that explains many of A2LA rules and interpretations.

However, I didn't find an answer to your specific question there. I did find it on A2LA's Suspensions and Withdrawals page, which said:
INACTIVE

An Inactive laboratory is one that has specifically requested in writing that their accreditation be allowed to temporarily expire due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances (e.g., a laboratory move or rennovation, significant personnel turnover, change in ownership, etc.) that prevent them from adhering to the A2LA requirements and/or conditions for accreditation. Inactive status can be given to a laboratory for no longer than one year.
I hope this helps!

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I have personal experience on this with another accreditation body (so not certain how A2LA would specifically handle it). We recently moved a lab. We did not have to re-certify. We provided the details and they approved our new location. If the equipment, personnel, quality manual, etc. is all the same, the biggest issues that come to mind are environmental history on the new location, and keeping instruments safeguarded from issues that may invalidate their calibrations.

I would say to contact your contact person at A2LA and discuss with them, and request what they need from you. It may be you'll need to provide information on how you'll safeguard the instruments during the move, and how you will be able to verify that the environment (temp/RH) will meet previous location requirements and performance. I can't at all guarantee what they'll say. But that is based on my experience.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jerry is correct. Most ABs tend to have - SIMILAR - requirements, so for a move, your main contact at A2LA may have more up-to-date information on transferring to a new address and any assessment requirements that may exist. Let us know what they say (generically, no specific names or any of that), as that may help others who may move.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
The guys are absolutely right - get in touch with your A2LA contacts and let them know the details. A2LA does have a policy document on location changes, P105, that is downloadable from their website.

I have gone through a lab move with A2LA. It wasn't that bad, because we knew what they wanted and were able to obtain and pass on the data they were looking for. In some cases they will want to visit the new facility (at your expense...), but from what I hear this is unusual. They are concerned with lab environment, so be prepared to map out environmental conditions for a period of time. They want to know if the move has affected any instruments, so you will work out a list of standards and a before / after checklist of measurements to show they were unaffected by the move. This is stuff that you would expect. The secret is to stay in contact with A2LA and your auditors so there won't be unpleasant surprises.

brucefon

Quality Coordinator - Hitachi High-Tech
A2LA has a specific one-page Policy on Organization Relocation. P105.

We'll be relocating soon and are working with the accreditation officer and assessor to make a smooth transition. I expect downtime to be days at most, if at all.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
A2LA has a specific one-page Policy on Organization Relocation. P105.

We'll be relocating soon and are working with the accreditation officer and assessor to make a smooth transition. I expect downtime to be days at most, if at all.
Thanks for the info. P105 can be found here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D If you are TS16949 certified, it also covers A2LA certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Differences and similarities between ISO 17025 and A2LA certification? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R Do I need A2LA Accreditation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Environmental Temperature Chamber Testing & A2LA requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Adding to our A2LA Scope of Accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G A2LA's ISO/IEC 17025 and Accreditation Training - Opinions from previous attendees ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
QMMike TS 16949 - A2LA or ISO/IEC 17025 required for material testing? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S A2LA requirements for Electrical Uncertainty Budgets - Measurements with a slope Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
A ILAC explanation - IEC60601-1 testing certified by an A2LA laboratory IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Calibration of equipment in an A2LA accredited testing laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
E A2LA Proficiency Test Requirement help needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O When do we need to be A2LA/ISO 17025 certified? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
E A2LA Laboratory Management Requirements or Qualifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M When can you be "accredited" and not be "accredited" with A2LA? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S A2LA Calibration Program Requirements, September 2005 II. Section 2.1.3.b.3 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
gard2372 A2LA & ISO/IEC 17025:1999 vs. European Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
R AS7101 for Materials Testing - Is this similar to 17025 or A2LA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J A2LA vs. other accreditors General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Field Decay Test - Can any one recommend few independent and A2lA accredited labs? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
T Providing A2LA w/ Proficiency Test results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Looking for company to calibrate cutting dies with A2LA, IAS, or NVLAP accreditation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J A2LA here, my boss wants to open China office now General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Hershal A2LA has completely terminated involvement in NACLA General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
W ISO 17025 or A2LA, what?s this?? ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
S Labels identifying accredited standards - Considering making labels with A2LA Logo General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Maintaining and tracking laboratory voltage standards - A2LA audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Is A2LA the US National equivalent to ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
D A2LA vs. NADCAP - Could someone explain the differences? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
Q Seeking: A2LA to ISO 17025 Audit Template ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
F Which NAVLAP or A2LA Laboratory Accreditation Body? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K A2LA laboratory requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R 17025, guide 25, A2LA (cal.,meas.,antest) ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L A2LA - Sending testing to a non-accredited lab if customer doesn't require A2LA? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc A2LA has a Traceability Policy that was issued 08/2000 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
D A2LA/ISO GUIDE 25 QUALIFIED LABS WITH FLOW CALIBRATION IN THIER SCOPE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc APLAC - A2LA - ISO/IEC Guide 43-1 (1997) - 17025 - Laboratory Proficiency Testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Marc NVLAP and A2LA Guide 25 Interpretations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc NVLAP vs. A2LA - NVLAP policy on acceptance of calibration laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc A2LA Contact and Guide 25 Comment - NOTE: Guide 25 is long since dead and buried General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 0
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7