AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar

A

Auditman64

Hi Gang,
I took my AS9100 Lead Auditor class back in June of 2014 with SAI Global up in long Island NY, and I’m planning on taking the Aerospace Auditor Transition Training class sometime in 2015.

I’ve been conducting second party special process & quality system audits for my aerospace company for about 7 ? years now, and I have completed roughly 6 quality system audits since I took the Lead Auditor course.

I know there is a certain number of quality system audits as well as other requirements one has to have accomplished before one can be eligible to work for a sanctioned AS9100 registrar as an Aerospace Auditor.

My ultimate goal is to do just that, and I just wanted some guidance regarding the steps to get there, including some straight “unbiased talk” on the life, scope of work, and salary of a sanctioned Aerospace auditor conducting AS9100 aerospace audits for a registrar.

I’ve read enough posts in here to get a good idea but there seems to be many conflicting opinions & conflicting facts about the entire process, and honestly it’s all a little confusing.

Exactly how many quality system audits do I need to perform after passing the AATT class before I can apply with an AS9100 registrar?
Would that market support full time work and is there currently a shortage or overabundance of AATT auditors?
What are the “true”, real world salary ranges involved?

Any direct, honest answers to some of my inquiries would be most appreciative, thanks in advance gang…

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
First step - get your credential!

Second step - develop a passion for the industry.

final step - negotiate with registrar on financial and perks.

Let me know if this helps you or start the conversation.:popcorn:

A

Auditman64

Thanks for the reply Dsanabria,

I actually am a special process auditor working for a major, US based military/commercial aircraft manufacturer, and I’ve been conducting audits for a little over seven years now.

I would say your requirement of having a passion for the industry is satisfied by my 25 years of experience in aviation with 7 & ½ of them being an auditor. (I love auditing)

I’m at a point in my life where I’m done with working for aerospace primes, and I would like to work for myself, hence my inquiry about working for an AS9100 registrar and what the salary range would be.

When I completed the AS9100C Lead Auditor class last June, I was told that there are a certain number of audits that I have to complete before I would be eligible for the AATT course.

Currently I complete about 50 second party special process audits a year at our suppliers for my company, and I’ve completed roughly six, second party quality system audits since I received my lead auditor certificate.

My questions are: exactly how many audits do I need to complete before I would be considered eligible for the AATT course, and what’s the normal (real world) salary most registrars are paying freshly certified aerospace auditors new to AS9100?

Thanks….

dsanabria

Nice - it sounds like you qualified and need someone to show you the next step.

Here is a list - (Available in OASIS) of authentication body.

Auditor Authentication Body

Click organization name for details.

Organization Location
AAB Français RUEIL-MALMAISON, France
AAB Germany BERLIN, Germany
AAB Switzerland Zurich, Switzerland
AAB-JRCA Tokyo, Japan
AAI - AAB Vienna, Austria
AIAD - AAB Roma, Italy
The APM Group Limited High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Exemplar Global Milwaukee, WI United States
INMETRO Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
Probitas Authentication Warrendale, PA United States
TEDAE Madrid, Spain

Go to their website and download the application and instruction - you will get the answer that you are looking for.

for you next question - money. HMM, You get what you negotiate for but the average range could be around 60.00 to 100.00 us dollars an hour. There are those making less and there are those making more. Most registrar have a fixed rate for their auditor based upon specialty, experience, credentials and seniority. :2cents:

Hope this helps.

A

Auditman64

It does and thank you very much, although I've alwyas thought/heard/read that registrars pay by the day, not by the hour.

Do some pay by day and some pay by hour?? I promise that's my last question......:)

dsanabria

It does and thank you very much, although I've always thought/heard/read that registrars pay by the day, not by the hour.

Do some pay by day and some pay by hour?? I promise that's my last question......:)

There are two choices in getting paid.... working full time as employee or working as an independent contractor. The company will issue a 1099 and the IRS rules apply - thus the hourly rate. Furthermore, most audits last 4, 8, 10, 12, 16 hrs etc.

Hope this helps and you could ask as many question as you need to satisfy your desire for knowledge - being there :cool:

A

Auditman64

Thanks so much Dsanabria,

The instructor we had in our AS9100 lead auditor class told us that the registrar he works for (SAI Global) paid AATT auditors anywhere from $500.00 to $700.00 dollars a day, and that included expenses and report time which I know many auditors were upset about because most of them were complaining that the industry didn’t pay for report time.

Any way you slice it, whether it’s $500.00 to $700.00 a day or $60.00 to $100.00 an hour………it’s good money.

My next step is to look into all the sites you provided and start studying like crazy for the AATT test because from what I understand, the class failure rate is roughly 50%.

Wish me luck and if I get stuck on anything else I’ll definitely write back…………

dsanabria

Thanks so much Dsanabria,

The instructor we had in our AS9100 lead auditor class told us that the registrar he works for (SAI Global) paid AATT auditors anywhere from $500.00 to $700.00 dollars a day, and that included expenses and report time which I know many auditors were upset about because most of them were complaining that the industry didn?t pay for report time.

Any way you slice it, whether it?s $500.00 to $700.00 a day or $60.00 to $100.00 an hour???it?s good money.

My next step is to look into all the sites you provided and start studying like crazy for the AATT test because from what I understand, the class failure rate is roughly 50%.

Wish me luck and if I get stuck on anything else I?ll definitely write back????

Corrections - SAI Global (and every registrar) pays for your daily rate (daily rate / hours worked = auditors rate per hrs.) and they will reimburse your for expenses such as hotel, meals and transportation (own vehicle or rental). In addition, they also pay for offsite reports and for NCRs time to review - (from customer)

A

Auditman64

I'm sold................:applause:

You can't beat that with a whole team of baseball bats.....:lol:

J

JMBores

Auditman64,

The info dsanabria provided you is spot on...

A few related comments to add:
1) Make sure to carefully select your AAB. This is an important decision... Good thing is you have a variety of options to chose from (as identified by dsanabria). Probitas Authentication Warrendale, PA United States is the most recent addition. Also, you may known Exemplar Global by their former name, RABQSA. Obviously everyone has their own preference based on experience...

2) The 9100 AATT program includes 15-20 hours of online prerequisite coursework (included in the 9100 Online Component). This is great material to reference as you study and prepare to attend the instructor-led training/evaluation. Additionally, the Updated AATT to 9101E/9101:2014 now includes an additional training module specifically on 9101. Best advice I can give you is to provide yourself a sufficient amount of time to complete the online coursework, prior to attending the four (4) day instructor-led component. Do everything twice if time permits!!!

Top Bottom