SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Abbott Laboratories Consent Decree based on continued GMP / QS violations

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Abbott HQ is less than 10 miles from my house. A large number of their quality people belong to one or both of my ASQ Sections. Even more "degrees of closeness" include the fact that several other members of my Sections made very large fees as consultants to Abbott after the FDA decree to "rehabilitate" the Abbott manufacturing practices.

Over the years, I have talked with many of the folks involved in that debacle and, to a man, they claim the root cause of their problems with the FDA were NOT faulty products reaching customers, but merely shoddy documentation prompted by upper levels of management who were used to "shortcuts" they could blame on low level employees and merely say to FDA, "Gee, that was a fault of Mr. X. We are resolving that by replacing him."

Well, FDA changed their policies and held top management liable for ANY shortfall in Quality practices, especially documentation. Understand that Abbott wasn't shipping products contaminated by foreign substances as the Johnson & Johnson OTC manufacturing plant in Pennsylvania was doing - they [Abbott] were arrogant and got caught by some FDA guys who were tired of having smoke blown up their hindquarters by Abbott managers. Most of the Abbott problems with FDA are resolved, but it cost Abbott millions of dollars in attorney and consultant fees before they were able to mollify FDA officers who didn't give up easily.

It is an object lesson I have alluded to in the past, both here in the Cove and over in the ASQ Discussion forums - "the FDA is in the process of a big-time reform and "technical violations" of Good Manufacturing Practices are no longer treated lightly."

This does NOT mean every FDA inspector is hard-nosed and looking for violations, but it does mean that when they find and report them, the higher officers in FDA will back them up and not roll over for an organization's top management which tries to lay the blame on a low level employee (the scape goat!)

The fact the Pennsylvania plant and its corporate parent are so "eager" to voluntarily recall their possibly-contaminated products is really a direct consequence of the hell the FDA put Abbott through. FDA is willing to go easy on an organization that 'fesses up and makes a good faith effort to remedy a situation BEFORE the FDA issues cease and desist orders.

In the long run, most risk analysis scenarios predict it is cheaper to do a voluntary recall than to get forced into one by the FDA, mostly because of all the soft costs of dealing with FDA in addition to the hard cost of recalling and destroying suspect products.

Let me make one thing clear:
the FDA agents are not always right. Any organization which truly feels the FDA has made an error in judgment should push back. The fact that so many organizations don't push back is probably not due to fear, but simply because the organization managers recognize they really are/were in violation of FDA requirements.

M

MIREGMGR

Sometimes top management uses the lower tiers as scapegoats, but that's not always the full story.

Sometimes it's the case when one of these corporate regulatory disasters occurs that the RA/QA elements of the organization actually weren't doing a good job; were themselves taking "shortcuts" and allowing a culture of regulatory permissiveness and corner-cutting at multiple levels to enable operation with smaller budgets and fewer disruptions of the engineering process and production revenue stream; and were intentionally not communicating to higher corporate levels the resulting regulatory shaky ground they were on in return for those smooth operations. One of the medical imaging operations of GE Healthcare was essentially stopped from selling equipment for ~ 2 years because (as I understand it) their design validation practices turned out to mostly be obfuscation. My understanding is that a number of RA/QA people were replaced as a result of management's investigation into how this occurred.

S

Sorin

One of the medical imaging operations of GE Healthcare was essentially stopped from selling equipment for ~ 2 years because (as I understand it) their design validation practices turned out to mostly be obfuscation. My understanding is that a number of RA/QA people were replaced as a result of management's investigation into how this occurred.
Just want to be sure I got it right...are you saying the management was NOT aware of the practices in question? I mean...really?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
The plain and simple fact is top management was not exercising its oversight duties. Regardless of the company, lower and mid-level personnel do not operate in a vacuum; somebody higher up on the ladder had a duty to prevent chicanery and obfuscation, but chose not to do so. The fact any practices which violate regulatory requirements were ONLY detected/discovered by FDA agents and not in-house personnel with a duty to prevent such misfeasance/malfeasance is hard to swallow for any but the most naive observer.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
The real pity is that MANY of those assays were available on competitor platforms. The FDA allowed continuous manufacturing to avoid the cost to the healthcare system of switching platforms.

S

seanlaw

Here is Abbott Diagnostics consent decree which barred them for years from making a lot of their own kits. It hurt them quite a lot in the market.

The decree was based on continued GMP / QS violations.
This is a good learning example.

Dear Colleague Letter: Abbott Laboratories Consent Decree
Sad, the link has been removed ... :(

Do you know what Abbott is saying now, " Abbott standards are FDA standards".

hmm... not sure, but I feel something is happening between FDA & A ... :notme:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ronen E Abbott Voluntary Recall of FreeStyle lnsulinx? Blood Glucose Meters Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
L Medical Devices Jobs - Abbott is currently hiring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Information about Medical Device Test Laboratories Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
G ISO 17025:2017 Uninterrupted chain of traceability for test laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S ISO 5356-1 - 22 mm ring gauges and test laboratories for an Anesthetic connector Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Rich O2 Environment Testing Laboratories (Clause 11.2.2 ME EQUIPMENT and ME SYSTEMS) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
W IEC 60601-1-2 Testing Laboratories in the Middle East IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S FDA Establishment Registration for Testing Laboratories 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Testing Laboratories in Europe to IEC/EN 60601-2-47 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L What are Accredited laboratories? (Medical Device Class IIb Related) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A How many laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 in the USA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
E Validation of Method(s) in Testing Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G ISO17025 requirement in TS16949 for External Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J European Laboratories which can do IEC/EN 60601-2-50 Testing? (Close to Turkey) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
N Device with Safety & EMC Test Certificates from different Laboratories ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
S Does NIST Certify Calibration Laboratories? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J ISO 17025 and Testing Laboratories Mentor / Advisor Needed ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q ISO TS 16949 Clause 7.6.3.2 - Requirements for External Laboratories IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
N CMM Layout Data Dispute between two CMM Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Douglas E. Purdy What are the current Calibration Standards for Calibration Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
1 Pharma Industry stance on ISO 17025 Accreditation - In-House Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Y Laboratories which can do IEEE Std 844 Tests and provide a CoC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Number of Laboratories required to participate in ILCP General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Distributor for Products used in Medical Laboratories - Is ISO 13485 Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Publishes IEC 60601 3rd edition FAQs IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Decontamination Label on Unit Packages per UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What is UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
C Are ISO 17025 accredited laboratories ISO 9001 compliant? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
J Small Laboratories & ISO 17025 Clause 4.1.4 - Small company 4 employees ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
thisby_ EMC/FCC part 15 test (NRTL - Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories) required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Compliance with ISO/ IEC 17025:2005 Clause 5.9 for Calibration Laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Traveling Standards among laboratories under regional / inter-national program General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R AC7101/11 Nadcap Audit Criteria for Materials Test Laboratories ? Fastener Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Q Internal Laboratories in TS 16949 companies - Certified vs. ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
K Internal laboratory - applies only to Calibration or also to other laboratories? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Difference between Calibration, Testing and Inspection Laboratories? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
apestate How do you find nearby ISO 17025 registered calibration laboratories? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Do Supplier's Laboratories Need to be Accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
R Calibration Companies - IASonline.org under Testing Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
T Concept of UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Numbering System - What?s in a UL Number Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
B What Laboratories are the 'National Equivalent' of Accredited to ISO/IEC 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Jerry Eldred Your thoughts on Calibration Laboratories - 2007 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Asking an Auditor's Advice on different systems at different laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Laboratories Claiming ISO 17025 Compliance - Sick of it..... ISO 17025 related Discussions 19
A Inter laboratory correlation - Two laboratories with different methods? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S List of Approved Test Laboratories by FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5