"Able Seaman" & "Skipper" Bars

H

hausser

Probably the most valuable "skills" learned at Tosebo for me were those in boating. I have had only a few opportunities to use those skills since camp, but have owned a share of a houseboat on Lake Powell in Southern Utah for the last few years.

I well remember (much better than my other owners!) all of the nautical terms ("Port," "Starboard," "Helm," etc.) as well as the various knots and their uses. I even do occaisional "Crown" and "Eye" splices! I can identify "Stays," "Halyards," "Painters," "Sheets," the "Tiller," "jibs and mainsails," and "gunwells." ("Rope" is "line!")

But the most important concept learned was the keeping things in their proper place! Every year, one of our owners will dangle a "line" over the side of our boat, and have it sucked into one of the jet drives! In our day, they'd surely lose their sailing privledges - and perhaps their activity honor!

Attaining the honor of "Skipper" was my proudest accomplishment in my three Tosebo years.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

GeorgeH

"Gunwells"? They were Gunnells in my time. In 1952 the sailing counselor was Jack Alway from Ann Arbor-also was cabin 3 counselor. In '53 Ross Taylor may have been sailing counselor. In '54 and '55 Pearce Erb was sailing counselor. Pearce had been a Tosebo camper and was a teacher at Todd Seminary. Four years ago Pearce and Mary Erb lived at Walloon Lake MI. I have been unable to find a phone number or address for them so far.

S

Strong Bow

I'll side with George, although Websters has as his first spelling, 'gunwale' and then 'gunnel' I remember gunwale pumping races with canoes. Fun but dangerous if you slip. My sailing counselors were Tom Buck (60), Larry Vaughan (61), Steve Buck (64 & 65) What did Dave Buck teach in 60??

H

hausser

Spellcheck!

My book shows "Gunwale" as correct also, and my Spellchecker accepts it.

Remember, I came from a dysfunctional family, and we'll probably see a third spelling sometime in the future!

I can't remember the exact sailing counselors, but I sure remember Skip Sage "ruling the roost" at the Lake front. And fighting him off when practicing the swimming rescue! **** he was big!

G

GeorgeH

Using an oar or canoe paddle to push off-by sticking it in the sand-was forbidden. The reason given was that the sand pushed into the end grain would cause the grain to 'explode' whatever that meant. The practice did make the end grain fuzzy-and wore the varnish or paint off the end of the blade. To this day I never push off with the oar or paddle and always hang them up-never leaving the blades resting on the ground. Looking back, we had pretty good training at Tosebo.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Medical Device Listing for 801(e) Export of Uncleared 510(k)able Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
H AS9120 stockist now able to work with Airbus sub contractors? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Document Control - Type-able Forms vs. Ink Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
Marc How to Live Easy in China on $475 a Month and still be able to Save Money Immigration and Expatriate Topics 2
N Laboratory that is able to Calibrate Dew Point Meter up to 60?Cdp - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Sunday Morning Cartoon - Ready, Woolen and Able Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
S Who is able to modify ETSO parts? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
S Not able to meet re-certification cycle ISO/TS ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
C Process Goals - Stretch or "Do-able": Corrective Actions or Continual Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
M Ford QOS - 3rd Party Auditing body able to assess the QOS Assessment? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D HR's Job Descriptions - Should Employees be able to see them? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11