About NB suspension and CE certificate validity

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Our CE cert is issued Dec 2013 and valid until Dec 2018. The NB who issued the CE cert is status Suspended effective March 2014. We did not have any MDD surveillance audit in 2014.
As of today, what is the status of my CE cert ?

Where a notified body designation is suspended, the certificates issued to companies remain valid but cannot be changed or renewed during the suspension – although in some cases suspension allows for renewal but not for additions or new certificates.
I read the above in a pdf from www.team-nb.org/documents.

Does this renewal mean MDD surveillance audit ?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Suspension shouldn't mean that the NB is closed down, there should still be a level of oversight. How the suspension is to be managed should have been a discussion between NB and CA

As a first port of call I would contact your NB to establish where you stand (if only to establish what they are doing to have their suspension liftyed. You don't want any nasty surprises). If they aren't supportive try the competent authority!

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
I would also recommend to call your NB to see what's up and what they're doing to have the suspension lifted. If the suspension leads to a withdrawal of notification, then you may not be able to easily transfer your certification to a new NB with three years of no surveillance audits. Depending on the reason why the NB was suspended you may have some oversight by the Competent Authority too.

M

MIREGMGR

I have no experience with NB suspension, and minimal knowledge of the applicable rules.

I'm surprised that the relevant CA isn't mandated to assure active management of the certification status of a suspended or terminated NB's customers, with no discontinuity.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Somashekar - I understand the certification remains valid if the NB is suspended, however, isn't this dependent also, on satisfactory surveillance audits?
I too believe the same, but post #2 form pkost ... ?
So as of today, what is the status of my CE cert .... ?

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
While you should be having surveillance visits, it is your NB's responsibility to determine when they should be. Provided you meet their schedule you should be fine

I imagine something like this has been covered in their discussions with the CA. An action plan may have been implemented which permits reduced audits on lower risk suppliers and then ramping it up to an appropriate level over time. It is difficult to know without asking the NB/CA!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Suspension of ISO 9001 Certificate - Major Nonconformances Identified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
P The suspension rule and de-registration rule for a certified organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
S Suspension Status - Rules 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K AATT 9101E/9101:2014 - Suspension of all AATT 9100,9110,9120 classes and examinations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Our CB is on suspension - What does this mean to my company? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
J Suspension in OASIS - AS9100 Certification and its Registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
C Classification of device - frontalis suspension sling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W Toyota Issues Recall - Problems with the front suspension World News 5
Steve Prevette A Work Suspension Vignette Registered Visitor Articles Archive 4
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
A How to make sure whether the predicated device is marked with EC certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
I Is the contract mfg. mentioned in legal manufacturer EC certificate? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Appears to be a certificate mill certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
J CE Certificate and additional processing EU Medical Device Regulations 4
bryan willemot Chemical / physical certificate of conformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B IATF certificate suspended - Who do we notify? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Migrate ISO 9001:2015 Certificate Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Calibration Certificate Content Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
S Boeing D6-51991 Product Acceptance Software certificate and Artefact? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P List of ISO certificate registrars around the world - ISO certification databases ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F EC in EC certificate - Is it an EC Certificate or a CE certificate? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
P Non-Active Suppliers on CE Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Interpretation of Article 16 (2b) - Packaging, samples and Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R List of countries that require only CE Mark certificate for product registration Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
K CFG (certificate of foreign government) Requestor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
GStough Informational SN EN ISO 9001:2015 and SN EN ISO 13485:2016 on Same Certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
T CE Certification Strategy - Expanding the validity of certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38