About NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) and ISO 17020

• Thread starter Stefanescu Marius
  • Start date
S

Stefanescu Marius

Hello, I m new here.
Sorry if is not the right section of the forum for my question.
A person can do Tehnical Inspection for Construction Equipment in conformity with ISO 17020 or only a Body Inspection?
I have more then 10 years expierince in Tehnical Inspection (under authorhity of an Body Inspection) also in ISO 9001 audit and in Conformity Certification Of Products (materials) for Construction (concrete fabrication,etc.)
And if is possible, how that person can be authorized and by the which organism?
I hope someone understand what i want to say. My english is not so good.
Thank you for your time.:bigwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hello, I m new here.
Sorry if is not the right section of the forum for my question.
A person can do Tehnical Inspection for Construction Equipment in conformity with ISO 17020 or only a Body Inspection?
I have more then 10 years expierince in Tehnical Inspection (under authorhity of an Body Inspection) also in ISO 9001 audit and in Conformity Certification Of Products (materials) for Construction (concrete fabrication,etc.)
And if is possible, how that person can be authorized and by the which organism?
I hope someone understand what i want to say. My english is not so good.
Thank you for your time.:bigwave:
Welcome to the Cove! I am sorry for the delay in this response.

I do not have a copy of ISO 17020, but from reading the ISO web page I do not see why it would not apply to construction equipment. The accrediting body ANAB describes accreditation to this standard as
Accredited inspection provides assurance of technically competent service and consistently reliable results, reducing costs and lowering risks. It is key in demonstrating that products, equipment, structures, and systems meet required specifications. Governments and industries around the world are increasingly requiring use of accredited inspection services.
So it would appear the standard is trying to provide the same sort of customer confidence as would, for example ISO/IEC 17025 does for calibration laboratories.

As such it is a management system standard that specifies relevant specifications (and their criteria) would be followed and adhered to in the process of conducting its inspections, maintaining and reporting results, ad in overall organizational operations. The applicable technical specifications, e.g. test methods and acceptance criteria, would be identified by the organization and/or its customers, and the regulations in the area in which the construction equipment operates.

As a management system standard, it would expect NDT inspectors to be competent. There are agencies that certify NDT inspectors, such as ASNT in the United States. These certifications might also be recognized in other countries; I do not know.

I hope this helps!

S

Stefanescu Marius

Hello, ISO 17020, it s a standard for Inspection body, an Inspection body in my case, that made tehnical inspections to the construction equipment.
I want to do this, like an authorized person.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
ISO 17020 is for organizations' management systems. Inspections would be done in accordance to industry specifications. Your organization would be set up to recognize what they are, ensure they are being followed, competencies are in place, records are properly maintained, etc.

It may be useful to take the class for accreditation offered by the accreditation body A2LA or a similar accrediting body.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Prices for NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) Inspection for a Boeing 737-400 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) - How I can get at least Level 1 certified? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
P NDT Process sequence Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Roberticus Reinstatement of Revoked Certification for NDT per NAS 410 8.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J NADCAP NDT (specifically RT) - Calibration of eye loupe reticle & optical comparator AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J NADCAP NDT (specifically RT) - Checklist AC7114 Rev. K, section 8.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
V Ultrasonic NDT on CNC Product made of Stainless Steel General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N Database for monitoring NDT Personnel Software Quality Assurance 4
S Viability of Q1 9th edition system for an NDT company Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
L VT (Visual Testing) NDT Training Certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Seeking NDT Training and Certifications Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
W X-ray based NDT Test Equip. Mfger. seeking CE Mark - Must X-Ray Source be included? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
S MSA for Devices with NDT Technology such as a Thicknessmeter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Special Process Checklists for Plating, Phosphate Coating, Welding and NDT AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L Outsourcing Special Processes such as Plating, Painting, NDT as related to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
B NDT (Dye Penetrant Test) Requirement for Frame 5 Fuel Nozzle AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Scope Clarification for company providing NDT service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Nadcap audit May 18 - May 21 - NDT: PT/XRay and Chemical Processing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Production Environment Procedures (NDT type sample testing and traceability) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
C Non-EU Language Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Non-Conformances Found After 3rd Party Sorting Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
N Competent Authority notification for non-EU manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Non-GMP examples in Pharmaceutical industry Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Non-Conformance and Deviations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Guidance on manufacturing non-surgical face masks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Medical System with non-medical device and FCC US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
L PMA and Non-PMA parts in same finished goods area? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
W Non-Conformance from recent Audit carried out on Purchasing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5