Absence Of Any Form Of Customer Property

D

debbie135

Hi
Wondering if anyone could tell me the answer

I am in a recruitment agency supplying temporary workers to customers

I cannot think of any example where 7.5.4 Customer property would apply.

How can i record this in the quality manual - obviously cannot just leave it blank !

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Ted Schmitt

Hi

How can i record this in the quality manual - obviously cannot just leave it blank !
Debbie,

How do these temporary workers "get" to you? Do you charge them some sort of fee for sending them to other organizations? Does this organization pay you a fee for sending them workers? If you answered Yes to both, as I see it, you have two customers / clients... the candidate for the temporary work and the person/organization for which this temp is going to work for... if this is the case, do either of them submit any sort of documents (ID cards, birth certificates, drivers licenses, any other sort of documentation required by the British government for employment)? IMO, these documents can be considered as Customer Property and should be treated as 7.5.4

If not, then you need to justify in your Quality Manual that this requirement is not applicable to your organization and a brief explanation of why not...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi

In general the clause applies to manufacturing situations where things like tooling and gages that are customer property might be affected. This is not to say that it can't apply in a service setting, though. If it's conceivable that at some point in the future your company could be responsible for customer property, the best approach would be to describe what you would do in that situation. On the other hand, if you're confident that the requirements will never be applicable in your situation, you may exclude them in your quality manual by describing the exclusion and the rationale behind it.

D

D.Scott

Hi

If you have no customer owned property, simply state that fact. Look at 1.2 "Application" of the Standard. You can exclude parts of clause 7 under certain situations. You could, if it doesn't apply, just exclude it.

When you consider customer owned property, don't forget to consider things like software, technical and/or proprietary data/information, catalogs/brochures, customer provided skill tests, etc.

Dave

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Debbie,

How do these temporary workers "get" to you? Do you charge them some sort of fee for sending them to other organizations? Does this organization pay you a fee for sending them workers? If you answered Yes to both, as I see it, you have two customers / clients... the candidate for the temporary work and the person/organization for which this temp is going to work for... if this is the case, do either of them submit any sort of documents (ID cards, birth certificates, drivers licenses, any other sort of documentation required by the British government for employment)? IMO, these documents can be considered as Customer Property and should be treated as 7.5.4
I don't think that there will be instances where documents of that type will be left in the custody of the service provider, but it's helpful to point out that before an exclusion is made, you have to consider different types of property. Basically, if it belongs to a customer (or a customer's agent) and you have custody of it, the clause is applicable.

Z

Zuggy

Hi

Hi,
I think in your case the customer property would be the customers resume and privacy of information. In my opinion that would be required under that clause. I understand that you might wan to cover that off in the document control section, however it is still control of your customers property.

Tim

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,
I think in your case the customer property would be the customers resume and privacy of information. In my opinion that would be required under that clause. I understand that you might wan to cover that off in the document control section, however it is still control of your customers property.

Tim
Bingo! I was just about to add the same thing. I think privacy ought to be mentioned in ISO 9001 somewhere as every business has this responsibility. In this case it's even more relevant and something that would fit well into your Quality Manual.

Z

Zuggy

Bingo! I was just about to add the same thing. I think privacy ought to be mentioned in ISO 9001 somewhere as every business has this responsibility. In this case it's even more relevant and something that would fit well into your Quality Manual.
I believe that ISO 9001 has indirectly taken care of the privacy issue under the "control of documents".

4.2.3 f) "to ensure that the documents of external origin are identified and their distribution controlled, and"

The most important part of privacy laws (at least in Canada) is to minimize the release of unapproved personal information. Which I believe this covers.

Tim

Another scenario concerning intellectual property: You should also consider information your staff are able to figure out by themselves even though it has not really been forwarded to them.

Example: Customer X suddenly starts hiring large numbers of temps from you, thereby making it obvious that they have landed a big order. Their competitor Y may be very interested in that information...

/Claes

J

JaneB

Hi

Debbie,
Don't overcomplicate it.

You can exclude anything in section 7 that doesn't apply, provided you can justify that (check section 1.2 carefully). Recall that 7.5.4 refers to customer property provided for use or incorporation into (your service). It very often doesn't apply in a service environment. In a property letting firm, for example, it applies because the firm gets keys to premises to be let, and must take care of them.

You probably receive CVs or the like? You probably remove any identifying address from them, say, and send on to your customer. So you need to make sure you have the right CV, and attach it to the right person. It's probably very little more than that.

Sometimes you can just treat that as information supplied to you for you to do your work (as an IT firm does info supplied to it by the customer for their system), or as 'customer supplied property'. Because all you're really getting is a copy of a document, and other than the obvious identify & keep confidential & secure, they're not handing over their only passport, for example. (If they were, you'd certainly need to look after them).
And if you're in the business, say, of repairing or re-boring widgets, then your customers certainly want to know you're going to look after their precious widgets and give them back!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Test method for presence or absence of hexavalent chromium on a metal coating RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
A Is Risk Management Process compliant to ISO 14971 in absence of Hazardous Situations? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
J Absence of Inspection Status Labels on Skids of Paint Pails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Advice on how to assess competency in the absence of academic qualifications? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
S Method Validation for qualitative tests (specifically Absence/Presence) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Master Validation Frequency in production - Absence of leak, thread presence, etc. Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Miner Reported content: Post in thread 'Form of real time study for establish shelf time' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Form of real time study for establish shelf time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M GP-12 procedure form and requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Max and Min form diameter inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P AS9102 Form 3 Inclusions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
John C. Abnet VDA 6.3 questionnaire form VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
K Generic preventive maintenance form wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Form templates for software (iso9001) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B EMPB (Erstmusterprufbericht) VDA form confusion + PSW VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M AS9102B Detail Part/Assembly FAI Form 1 box 13; AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A AS9102B - 3.6 Design Characteristics and form 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9102 FAI Report formats - Boxes in form 1, 2, 3 of AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Can a document (form) approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
L Form-dependent position prevention control FMEA and Control Plans 1
Y Blank Fields on CAPA Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
P AS9102 Form 3 Dimension Results Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-12 Designating authority’s final assessment form: Key Information Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Documenting hardware on Form 2 of AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Interesting article form the UNIDO Magazine - CSR: a wolf in sheep’s clothing? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 18
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G I-chart form for GM GP-12 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
M Informational US FDA – Ethicon Recalls Circular Staplers for Insufficient Firing and Failure to Completely Form Staples Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9102 COTS Form 1 vs. 2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17