Abuse of work transfer? (per AS9100)

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
My aerospace customer requires me to complete a work transfer form when I am transferring work (per AS9100).

The manufacturing person in my company wants to set up the router (traveler) to state doing the work internally or going to that outside source (as approved by the customer's work transfer form). Is this correct to do this? I'm assuming that if I notify my customer that this work is being done outside that all future work on this will be done outside. If we do this work internally next time, technically I would have to do another work transfer form to move this back in-house.

Am I seeing this correctly??

I'm assuming just because I have work transfer approval once that I can't just jump back and forth between having the work done internally and having it done externally at will.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RCW

Re: Abuse of work transfer?

Wouldn't it be possible to simply state that the (outgoing) work transfer is temporary?
I'd have to look into what the plans are here. If this was just a one-off time, then great, that makes it more straight forward. I have the feeling though that the powers that be here want their cake and to eat it too. They want the flexibility to keep it in-house or send it out without filing the required customer's paperwork.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Abuse of work transfer?

Can't you get both methods approved by your customer? That way you retain the flexibility when needed.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
My aerospace customer requires me to complete a work transfer form when I am transferring work (per AS9100).

The manufacturing person in my company wants to set up the router (traveler) to state doing the work internally or going to that outside source (as approved by the customer's work transfer form). Is this correct to do this? I'm assuming that if I notify my customer that this work is being done outside that all future work on this will be done outside. If we do this work internally next time, technically I would have to do another work transfer form to move this back in-house.

Am I seeing this correctly??

I'm assuming just because I have work transfer approval once that I can't just jump back and forth between having the work done internally and having it done externally at will.
No, not as per AS9100 - while the standard only requires you to have a process for planning and controlling temporary or permanent work transfers, the form is your customer's requirement.

I'm assuming that the transfer is dependent on an event rather than a plan (i.e. transferred when the quantities are higher than your capability, or the timelines are too tight), because normally a transfer is due to planned subcontracting for an operation of a work order or something along those lines.

Ask your customer - the form is their requirement, how do they want it handled?

RCW

I'm assuming that the transfer is dependent on an event rather than a plan (i.e. transferred when the quantities are higher than your capability, or the timelines are too tight), because normally a transfer is due to planned subcontracting for an operation of a work order or something along those lines.
Another area for me to look into. My company has made this portion of the product for many years, now all of a sudden it is being outsourced for no apparent reason. The only reason I found out that it was being done outside of house was because there were nonconformities found during in-process inspection of the parts. Tracing back on this part lead me to find out that it was now being outsourced. Real nice!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Corrective Action Process Abuse Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
P Notified Body Abuse of Voluntary Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N How to stop this abuse..... Imported Legacy Blogs 12
S Drug of Abuse (DOA) Test Strips - Do we need more testing? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
U Gauge use and abuse Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
ScottK Which of these two actions is more unprofessional? Verbal Abuse vs. Evesdropping Career and Occupation Discussions 57
E E-mail Abuse Dismissals - Employees fired for e-mail infractions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C Essential Design Output(s) and Design transfer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
C Design Transfer Review - Before or after PQ validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
J IVD CE transfer to another manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Design Transfer - How do you guys control the design transfer process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Ajit Basrur Looking for a Design Transfer Checklist 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
TechnicalGuy Technical File Review - Transfer to a new NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Philippines Medical Device Registration Transfer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
D Design Transfer between two companies with different QMS CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Responsibility for Design Transfer - OEM vs. CM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L Software Medical Device - 7.3.8 - Design and Development Transfer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Requirements for Work Transfer of Small Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Data Transfer cable For Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Technology and testing transfer to a new brand - Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q AS9100 Rev.D Transfer of Work - Procedure and form templates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
supadrai Confusion on 510(k) Transfer Guidance - Device Listing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Medical Device License Transfer in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M ISO TS 16949 Transfer to another CB (Certification Body) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
K Equipment Mobility - Transfer of manufacturing lines to a different location Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
V What kind of audit for a production transfer? Internal Auditing 3
V Design Transfer to production = New product introduction ?? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Transfer of AS9110 Certification between Companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
U When does design transfer take place? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 30
L Quality Plan to decommission a Medical Device Facility Decommissioning and Transfer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
E Is Design Transfer to Production be complete prior to Release of first production lot 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Registration in Mexico - Transfer of Mexican Device Registrations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
J Peru Medical Device Registration License Transfer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
Salisburysteve Transfer of IEC 60601-2-10:2012 into BS and EN IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Tensile Testing Transfer from one site to another site Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
JoCam Control of Works Transfer to another location AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Should transfer of certificates be better scrutinized by accreditation bodies? Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
L Status of Certificate of Free Sale Transfer to MHRA - 1 April 2014 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
5 Transfer of an ISO 13485 Certificate to another Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Design Transfer from R&D to Manufacturing for 21 CFR 820 Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
G Definition Work Transfer vs. Outsourcing Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
K Thailand Medical Device Registration - Transfer importer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1