Abuse of work transfer? (per AS9100)

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
My aerospace customer requires me to complete a work transfer form when I am transferring work (per AS9100).

The manufacturing person in my company wants to set up the router (traveler) to state doing the work internally or going to that outside source (as approved by the customer's work transfer form). Is this correct to do this? I'm assuming that if I notify my customer that this work is being done outside that all future work on this will be done outside. If we do this work internally next time, technically I would have to do another work transfer form to move this back in-house.

Am I seeing this correctly??

I'm assuming just because I have work transfer approval once that I can't just jump back and forth between having the work done internally and having it done externally at will.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Abuse of work transfer?

Wouldn't it be possible to simply state that the (outgoing) work transfer is temporary?

RCW

Wouldn't it be possible to simply state that the (outgoing) work transfer is temporary?

I'd have to look into what the plans are here. If this was just a one-off time, then great, that makes it more straight forward. I have the feeling though that the powers that be here want their cake and to eat it too. They want the flexibility to keep it in-house or send it out without filing the required customer's paperwork.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Can't you get both methods approved by your customer? That way you retain the flexibility when needed.

RCW

I'll ask that when I submit their form to them.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
My aerospace customer requires me to complete a work transfer form when I am transferring work (per AS9100).

The manufacturing person in my company wants to set up the router (traveler) to state doing the work internally or going to that outside source (as approved by the customer's work transfer form). Is this correct to do this? I'm assuming that if I notify my customer that this work is being done outside that all future work on this will be done outside. If we do this work internally next time, technically I would have to do another work transfer form to move this back in-house.

Am I seeing this correctly??

I'm assuming just because I have work transfer approval once that I can't just jump back and forth between having the work done internally and having it done externally at will.

No, not as per AS9100 - while the standard only requires you to have a process for planning and controlling temporary or permanent work transfers, the form is your customer's requirement.

I'm assuming that the transfer is dependent on an event rather than a plan (i.e. transferred when the quantities are higher than your capability, or the timelines are too tight), because normally a transfer is due to planned subcontracting for an operation of a work order or something along those lines.

Ask your customer - the form is their requirement, how do they want it handled?

RCW

I'm assuming that the transfer is dependent on an event rather than a plan (i.e. transferred when the quantities are higher than your capability, or the timelines are too tight), because normally a transfer is due to planned subcontracting for an operation of a work order or something along those lines.

Another area for me to look into. My company has made this portion of the product for many years, now all of a sudden it is being outsourced for no apparent reason. The only reason I found out that it was being done outside of house was because there were nonconformities found during in-process inspection of the parts. Tracing back on this part lead me to find out that it was now being outsourced. Real nice!

Top Bottom