Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question

I have a question about creating test samples to support an aging study for an implantable med device. We are looking to establish a 3 year shelf life for our product. We have some samples that have 18 months real time aging on them currently. Is it acceptable to "add" 18 months of aging to them using accelerated aging principles to get to 3 years? We will still have enough samples to real time age some units for an additional 18 months so we will real time data, but we need to get a jump on the schedule.

Is this an acceptable approach to conditioning aging samples? (18 mo RTA + 18 mo AA = 36 mo AA?) Has anyone used this or a similar strategy before for creating accelerated aging samples? If so, did you receive any push back from regulators?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Involved In Discussions
You need data in hand to defend your stated label claim. As you accumulate the longer term data, you can then revise your labeled shelf life. It is not grey. It is black and white.

I'm not sure my question was understood correctly. We will have 3 years RTA data after 3 years (18 months from now). I'm trying to understand if it's acceptable to combine RTA and AA to create aged samples. My units have 18 months of RTA already. I want to perform and additional 18 months of aging using standard conditioning methodology. Can I then say the 18 months of actual time plus the 18 months of accelerated time will be equivalent to 36 months aging for testing purposes. We do plan to continue real time aging on some additional until they are 36 months old to support our claim.

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
Is this an acceptable approach to conditioning aging samples? (18 mo RTA + 18 mo AA = 36 mo AA?)
I have never heard of doing such combination. Since this is not a conventional way of claiming a shelf life, you may expect a push back.

Regarding suggestion of claiming shelf life, why don't you get fresh samples to conduct an 18 months of AA and submit your application with both of your 18 months AA and RTA (but continue RTA and AA on rest of the samples until 36 months). By that approach you can still claim your 36 months of shelf life, provided, you explain clearly (in your application) that your AA and RTA for 36 months is going on and you will adjust your shelf life claim on the labeling if you cannot get a 36 months of shelf life. I have done that before and have never received a single question from the regulators.

Remember, AA is just an assumption while RTA is the ultimate validation, mixing it up to claim a shelf life seems impractical to me. My personal thought is that if you now accelerate the age of your already 18 months old samples, the samples may not be able to withstand it and may eventually fail the testing. Because, there shall be a big difference in sample's condition if your pre-condition it for a limited time period (say for 24 hours) and if you pre-condition it for an extended time period (in your case, 18 months).

adir88

Starting to get Involved
Combining 18 months of RT data with (only and additional) 18 months of AA data to get to 36 months shelf life is NOT a standard approach and it will most definitely not be accepted by regulatory bodies.

You have the following options:
1. Label the device with 18 months expiry date based on the the RT data you have available to date. You can then extend the shelf life as you get more data from future RT timepoints.
2. Label the device with the AA data you have available to date (if any) along with the 18 months RT data you have available to date. In this instance, you need to usually demonstrate that your AA data correlates to the RT data to date. Doing this analysis will provide more confidence of the extra shelf life you are claiming beyond (RT) 18 months. Doing a linear regression on RT and AA data to see when the product attribute intersects the acceptance criterion can also provide more confidence. I would recommend that you don't overshoot this extrapolation such that there is a significant lag between your AA and RT data and comes down to what you/your company is willing to accept as business risk. In my company we have a guideline to not have a greater than 12 months gap between RT and AA data. This is based on historical data and what our company feels comfortable with. For example, if we had AA data for 24 months and RT data for 10 months, we will not label the device with 24-month expiry date until the RT catches up.

Getting the shelf life validation right is really critical - if something goes wrong in the field because your determination was based on non-standard approaches, you WILL end up having to do some type of field safety corrective action.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Accelerated aging and real time study EU Medical Device Regulations 2
shimonv Storage Conditions of 5-40 Celsius - Accelerated and real time aging - Dilemma EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Accelerated Aging Testing Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
U Accelerated Aging for Shelf Life - Beginning Point Difference CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Accelerated Aging Test for Disposable Protective Garment for Incontinence Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Test Procedure or Standard for Accelerated Aging for AIMD Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Format of Stent Stability Testing (Accelerated and Long Term Aging) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
C Thermal Accelerated Aging Test(s) for Epoxy Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
S Validation of Sterilization Expiry Date - Accelerated Aging, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Accelerated stability of medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Stability accelerated vs. real-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
B Class III Medical Device Accelerated conditions Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Accelerated Ageing Test for Orthopedic Implants -- ASTM F 1980 or ISO 11607 or both are applicable ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Accelerated Reliability Demonstration Test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
A Accelerated Stability Studies - Class III Medical Gloves Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Accelerated Learning and Simulations / Scenarios - Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M Accelerated Service Life Test for Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
C Is there a standard for HALT (High Accelerated Life Testing)? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
6 Accelerated Shelf Life Testing Protocol for Juice Containing Beverages Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
Ron Rompen Seeking Test Lab which can do 1440 Hour Accelerated Weathering Characteristics Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D Stability (Accelerated Life) Testing of Medical Devices for Home Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Shelf-Life - Accelerated Age Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Accelerated data enough to claim 3 years and be on the Market? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Anyone familiar with HALT (Highly Accelerated Life Test) to predict normal life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
R Anyone familiar with HAST (Highly Accelerated Stress Test)? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
Z Industrial Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
R Accelerated Stability Studies - Duration and Conditions - Class III Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
R Long Term vs. Accelerated Life Testing FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
V Accelerated Stability Studies - In vitro Diagnostic Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Customer Prototype Support - 4.4.10 - Accelerated life tests QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
M Real-time-aging Validation - ISO / ASTM Standard - Class 111 Orthopedic Implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Sam Lazzara Time Zero testing in med device aging studies Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F Aging rig in medical device industry - To qualify or not Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Medical Device Aging & Safety Questions by FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
E Aging/Shelf-Life Testing Responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
P Regression Analysis for Aging Study in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Marc Aging in Mice Reversed - Immortality, anyone? World News 2
S Audit Summary Report - Nonconformance Aging Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
A Medical Device (Gloves) Stability (Aging) testing and Shelf Life Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
P Can I submit a 510(k) without aging data? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Aging Buckets for Metrics - Redefining a full set of metrics Six Sigma 3
Stijloor Aging Gracefully Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
B Maintenance FMEA's - Aging Plant Equipment FMEA and Control Plans 6
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
8 Creating Flow and Pull Game Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13