Accelerated Reliability Demonstration Test

Apan

Registered
Hello, I am new to reliability and I am trying to define test time for 2 AC motors with 0 failures, demonstrated reliability of 0.9 and CL of 0.9. I do not have history data for the Weibull shape parameter, so I assumed 3, because my plan is to increase the duty 28.8 times and this will lead to wear out failures eventually.
The time the reliability is demonstrated for is 26280 hours (3 years). I calculated that if tested at normal stress level the test time should be 58317 hours. With the linear acceleration factor for the duty of 28.8, the test time would become 2025 hours. Is that correct? Or my line of thinking is totally wrong?
My next intention is to combine the increased duty with increased load (deliberately slowing the shaft) and I am not sure how to go about that. I'd appreciate any help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I verified your calculations of 58317 hours under normal stresses and of 2025 hours for a duty cycle acceleration factor of 28.8. One caveat to these is that other stressors do not increase along with the duty cycle. Specifically, the temperature of the motor. Otherwise, you will have another acceleration factor for the increased temperature, which would follow the Arrhenius model.

Regarding the increased load, do you mean how to physically accomplish the increased load (i.e, using a dyne), or how to incorporate this into your demonstration test calculations? If the load is purely torsional, you will have increased current and temperatures, which will impact the motor's insulation and possibly the bearing grease. If you have axial or radial load components in addition to the torsional load, you will have corresponding loads on the bearings. The increased temperature may be modeled using the Arrhenius model, and the increased current using the inverse power model.

Apan

Registered
Thank you, Miner. The motor is driving a propeller that stirs ground coffee with water. So I would say the load is strictly torsional. I measured the current and it remains the same with or without load, so it looks safe to assume that the only other acceleration factor would be the increased temperature. My struggle now would be how to incorporate the Arrhenius model into the calculations for the reliability demonstration test. How do I find the activation energy? Thank you.

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Most propeller stirrers would also put an axial thrust load on the bearings. While it may be small, do not overlook it as I would assume the motor and bearings are equally small for this application.

The only way to determine the activation energy precisely is through experimentation. However, there has been some research published on this. An activation energy between 0.5 - 0.6 eV is fairly typical. You can also use the 10 degree C rule where the life is reduced by 50% for every 10 degrees C above the normal operating temperature. AF = 2 ^ [(T1 - T0)/10], where T1 is the elevated temperature and T0 is the normal operating temperature.

I recommend that you read up on degradation testing. You could potentially measure the change in leakage current or of temperature rise to predict a failure time well in advance of the actual failure. This can dramatically reduce the time to test.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Accelerated stability of medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Stability accelerated vs. real-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
B Class III Medical Device Accelerated conditions Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Accelerated Ageing Test for Orthopedic Implants -- ASTM F 1980 or ISO 11607 or both are applicable ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Accelerated aging and real time study EU Medical Device Regulations 2
shimonv Storage Conditions of 5-40 Celsius - Accelerated and real time aging - Dilemma EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Accelerated Stability Studies - Class III Medical Gloves Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Accelerated Learning and Simulations / Scenarios - Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M Accelerated Service Life Test for Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
N Accelerated Aging Testing Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
U Accelerated Aging for Shelf Life - Beginning Point Difference CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
C Is there a standard for HALT (High Accelerated Life Testing)? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
N Accelerated Aging Test for Disposable Protective Garment for Incontinence Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
6 Accelerated Shelf Life Testing Protocol for Juice Containing Beverages Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
Ron Rompen Seeking Test Lab which can do 1440 Hour Accelerated Weathering Characteristics Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
B Test Procedure or Standard for Accelerated Aging for AIMD Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
D Stability (Accelerated Life) Testing of Medical Devices for Home Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Shelf-Life - Accelerated Age Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Accelerated data enough to claim 3 years and be on the Market? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Anyone familiar with HALT (Highly Accelerated Life Test) to predict normal life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
R Anyone familiar with HAST (Highly Accelerated Stress Test)? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
A Format of Stent Stability Testing (Accelerated and Long Term Aging) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
C Thermal Accelerated Aging Test(s) for Epoxy Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
Z Industrial Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
R Accelerated Stability Studies - Duration and Conditions - Class III Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
R Long Term vs. Accelerated Life Testing FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Validation of Sterilization Expiry Date - Accelerated Aging, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
V Accelerated Stability Studies - In vitro Diagnostic Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Customer Prototype Support - 4.4.10 - Accelerated life tests QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
M Reliability Testing - Weibull Analysis Help Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
L ISO 2859-2 LQL sampling plan linked to %confidence/%reliability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J 95% reliability for calibration frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
M How to Plan and Test the Reliability of Medical Devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
L Reliability Block Diagrams (RBDs) helper for review. Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
H Sample Size Calculation (Confidence Interval and Reliability) - Medical Devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
K Taguchi Experiments for Factorial Design Analysis - Reliability of Minitab Results Using Minitab Software 1
J Calculating Reliability for Subsystems in Series Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N Reliability Testing of a Single-Use (Disposable) Medical Device Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
R Regression for MTBF (Medical Device: Repairs vs Install Base) with Reliability Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 16
A Demonstration Test Plan for Reliability of Big Equipment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Reliability calculation for repairable system Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
T I want to calculate reliability at 750 hours Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
G Metrology Laser Reliability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Reliability Software Recommendations Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D Cpk relation to Reliability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
R Formula to tie together - Confidence/Reliability Level AQL? LTPD? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Defining Reliability and Confidence Levels Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
R Standard for Reliability/Performance Test on a Electro Mechanical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1