Acceptable methods to store and archive records

X

xtaticblue

This may have been discussed before but I have a simple question.
I think I know the answer, but wondered if anyone had there own opinion before I start shredding paper!!

The question is;

Is it acceptable to pdf/scan records and store them electronically (remote server obviously) rather than store boxes and boxes of hard copies?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
This may have been discussed before but I have a simple question.
I think I know the answer, but wondered if anyone had there own opinion before I start shredding paper!!

The question is;

Is it acceptable to pdf/scan records and store them electronically (remote server obviously) rather than store boxes and boxes of hard copies?

ISO 9001:2008, 4.2.4, in part:
The organization shall establish a documented procedure to define the controls needed for the identification, storage, protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records.
Records shall remain legible, readily identifiable and retrievable.

Those are the requirements and they can be easily satisfied by electronic storage.

X

xtaticblue

So it's as I thought. If we say that's what we do, and it satisfies the standard, we're ok to start scanning and shredding!

Thanks for the confirmation.

P

prady2581

Hi
I agree, Standard says that it can be any medium and shared some guidance as an example. As far as you satisfy all elements of control of records clause you are compliant.

But remember - PDCA ? you have to evaluate continously for any improvement opportunities.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Before you fire-up that shredder...

Although this thread is in the ISO 9001 forum, I would caution you to also consider regional regulatory requirements as well.

For example, it has been debated in these forums before as to whether a scanned signature is still legally valid from an US FDA perspective (my position is that it is, though others would disagree).

So, while this may be ok as far as ISO, there may be regulatory bodies that still might want to see the "originals"...

I

Illek

:2cents:

We just had to change our disposition of records because of a customer requirement. May want to check those too.

Illek

X

xtaticblue

Good points made. Thanks all for the input. It has made me think I'd better check on other standards that may 'influence' our system. TS16949 springs to mind but I'm not to hot on it without a bit of research.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
It would be interesting to know about the regulation side. I did a trademark about 9 years ago and I digitally signed everything with the government office. Obviously a different branch but I'd hope a decade later that would make it's way around.

Top Bottom