Acceptance Criteria For pH Meters and other Laboratory Equipment

6thsense

Involved In Discussions
An auditor gave us an improvement opportunity for Including the Acceptance Criteria for our pH meters. I am looking for help regarding how some people go about this with regards to pH meters and other Laboratory Equipment.

Thank You Covers

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Qara123

Involved In Discussions
An auditor gave us an improvement opportunity for Including the Acceptance Criteria for our pH meters. I am looking for help regarding how some people go about this with regards to pH meters and other Laboratory Equipment.

Thank You Covers
By acceptance criteria, are you referring to acceptable results when performing a pH meter calibration/verification? If so, the pH meter maker should have the specification listed somewhere, probably in the manual.

Also, if you plan on using buffer standards to calibrate/verify your pH meter, I recommend buying the buffer in sachels (small packets) rather than an entire bottle because the shelf-life of the buffer is no longer valid after you open the bottle.

Q

A

arios

The bottle of the buffer solution may already display a tolerance range for PH. I would suggest you to use that

A

amanbhai

Certificed reference materials/ buffer solution has their values and tolerance specified for like 4 pH, 7 pH & 10 pH values.
You can use them while calibrating your pH meters.

Doug Tropf

Quite Involved in Discussions
"the shelf-life of the buffer is no longer valid after you open the bottle"

Can you explain how the shelf-life is invalidated by opening the bottle? Our bottles of buffer solution have an expiration date printed on the label but it has nothing to do with when the bottle is opened.

A

arios

"the shelf-life of the buffer is no longer valid after you open the bottle"

Can you explain how the shelf-life is invalidated by opening the bottle? Our bottles of buffer solution have an expiration date printed on the label but it has nothing to do with when the bottle is opened.
I agree with Doug that such comment does sound clear.

If the bottle expires when it gets open, then it means that the buffer solution can only be used the same day. That does not make much sense :confused:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
The date on the bottle is the shelf life of the unopened bottle. Once you open it contamination can creep in and make the date on the bottle useless. Or, in cases where the bottle contains something that is sensitive to air, you have a different life time of the contents once it has been opened and air has crept in. Just opening the bottle does not mean you have to use it all on that day, or that it is only good for a day or anything like that.

The closest analogy I can think of is food. Let's say you buy a piece of meat which is wrapped and in the a grocery display case which has a "consume by" date. The meat was probably packed in a relatively sterile environment (especially if it is "corporation processed food") in accordance with local, state and federal laws (at least in the US) or other requirements (such as FDA rules and regulations). You bring the meat home and open the package and transfer it to another container. Once you have opened the package you have exposed it to an un-sterile environment and it may "go bad" prior to the "consume by" date. It doesn't mean you have to eat the meat that day. It means that the meat may go bad prior to the expiration ("consume by") date.

The question here is, assuming no contamination such as by someone using the actual bottle such as sticking the probe in the bottle, which I have seen people do, how stable is a buffer solution once the bottle has been opened and exposed to air. This I can not answer. I don't remember too much about buffer solutions and their stability so I really can't say how long after the bottle is opened the solution is good for.

Interesting topic. Anyone here knowledgeable in buffer solution stability?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Well... I certainly am no expert here or anything, but just some thoughts:

General: We typically calibrate the pH meter for millivolts, although they are rarely off. I think the tolerance is like 1 millivolt.

We calibrate the temperature compensation module (if one is installed), if the solution being measured is at a different temperature than the buffer solutions. pH is highly affected by temperature.

Accuracy: I'm not sure if we have a specified accuracy, per se. You are basically adjusting the meter to the solutions, so not sure where an acceptance criteria would come into play. Generally they keep track of the slope, which should fall somewhere between 95-105. Outside of that, are there is something wrong (probe/solution/etc.).

Solutions: I really cannot speak as to the exact expiration and such of buffer solution. However, we had a large number of problems with meters not adjusting, and called Orion. After about the sixth time they told us the same thing,:) we finally did it. We had about a tenth of the problems after. What was it you ask?:D

Get very small bottles of buffer solution, and have more orders of them made. So instead of having larger bottles that stayed in the lab longer, we got smaller bottles and bought larger lots. So a given lot of solution did not stay around very long.

It cannot be stressed enough how important it is to constantly rotate your pH solution. Buy smaller containers and purchase it more often. It's a little more expensive, but how much is good pH measurement worth?;):agree1:
We get a call that states something like this:
My pH meter won't accept the solutions. Please come and calibrate it.
On these calls, 999/1000 times we end up replacing the probe or get new solution, and it works. :tg: Those probes (general glass ones with solution in them) do have a shelf-life. The other 1/1000 is usually some meter setup issue.

As to the OP's original question, as long as traceable solutions are purchased, then refer to the material listed with the solutions. That will give you the accuracy of the solutions. Past that, I'm not sure. A "fresh" pH meter that was just set up has a very short shelf life before needing to be verified again. That shelf life is even shorter if the meter is being used at extremes (highly caustic-highly acidic-neutral, etc.).

If you are really interested in the quality of your pH measurement, I would suggest conducting an uncertainty analysis on the system.

Here are the specifications for an Orion meter (as an example):

http://www.thermoscientific.com/eco...&groupType=PRODUCT&searchType=0&storeId=11152

You could then get the analysis for you particular lot, do some R&R, etc. to develop the collective uncertainty.:)

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
To add onto what Brad has already covered...Pharmacopeia specifies an acceptance criteria of pH +/- 0.02 (essentially what is done is after adjusting the controls/slope against known buffers; at the end... third unknown buffer is measured and verified for above acceptance criteria)

Hope that helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to determine sample size to test when the acceptance criteria is x >= Standard value? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Design output vs acceptance criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D IVD Accuracy and Precision Acceptance Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Medical Device Label Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
D What are the acceptance criteria/requirements for Stability Study? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Gage R&R TMV Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M V&V phase: Justification of acceptance criteria (statistical method ) - (Medical Device) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
O GR&R Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Shore A hardness Tester Acceptance Criteria Standard Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
lanley liao Purchase Acceptance Criteria - Tensile testing Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
S Acceptance criteria for gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Medical Device Validation Protocols and Reports - Acceptance Criteria Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
C Software Unit Acceptance Criteria (5.5.4) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
J Acceptance Criteria in 8.1.1 e) of IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
O Acceptance criteria bacterial endotoxins immunosera for human use Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
V Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R - Simple vs Complex Techniques Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
A 5.5.3 - Software Unit Acceptance Criteria (Risk Control Measures) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
M Establishment of Acceptance Criteria for a Weigh Balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
X How to define Calibration Acceptance Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Gage R (no reproducibility) - Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
V Validation Test and Acceptance Criteria for Compressed Air Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
I Dual Acceptance Criteria: Cpk and Individual Values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
L Acceptance Criteria for External Calibrated Standards IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Risk Acceptance Criteria in ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 19
G Acceptance Criteria when Verifying a Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Renault Painting Defect Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Surface Roughness Tester Acceptance Criteria Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
H Package Integrity Testing Acceptance Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D 21 CFR 820.80 In-Process Acceptance Criteria requirements for IVDs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Acceptance Criteria for Scratches on Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
JoCam Nadcap AC7120 (Audit Criteria for Circuit Card Assemblies) - Acceptance Criteria AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Acceptance Criteria - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 8.2.4 - Questionable Audit Finding? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
Q How to meet Clause 7.1.2 Acceptance Criteria in ISO TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J IPC-A-610 E Thermal Plane Acceptance Criteria for D-Pak Component Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S Acceptance Criteria at Design Verification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Labels - ASTM D3330/D3330M Acceptance Criteria for Adhesion 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
optomist1 Tensile Test Crimped Electrical Terminal Acceptance Criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
V The approach/criteria of setting Acceptance Limits Method Validation Parameters Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V How to define Risk Acceptance Criteria? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Rameshwar25 Acceptance Criteria for Attribute MSA Study Effectiveness Summary Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D What are API Equipment Cleaning Requirements and Acceptance Criteria? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
V How are the Acceptance Criteria for Content Uniformity & Dissolution Superior? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
Q Sampling Plan Acceptance Criteria - ISO TS 16949 Clause 7.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
1 Acceptance criteria and related standard for 1 micron Lever Type dial Indicator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5