Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long?

N

Naz78

Hi guys,

I am trying to draft a Supplier Approval Process flowchart.

When do your goodselves adjunct a supplier into your Approved Vendor Lists really?

1. After they had successfully met the First Article?
2. After one complete cycle? (inclusive of delivery to location of plant)
3. After a FEW successful deliveries?

Thanks!

N

Naz78

Re: Acception of Supplier to AVL (How long?)

I am a "shy poster"?

LOL.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Acception of Supplier to AVL (How long?)

Hi guys,

When do your goodselves adjunct a supplier into your Approved Vendor Lists really?

Thanks!
A supplier should be qualified before the first purchase, which would be the time to add them to the list. You can remove them from the list any time you want to, or establish conditional approval pending evidence of capability with meeting your requirements.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Acception of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vender List) - How long?

Hi guys,

Thanks!
It all depends upon the criticality of the article your vendor suppliers and you have to take a call within your purchasing procedure, when you would like to say him "Approved" and add the vendor in the approved list.
What you say in ...
... I would call it as 1st bulk supply approval or pilot production approval, where in you will see his capability to meet quality requirements in volume supplies and ability to meet all other packaging and delivery requirements.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Naz78,

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Did you conduct supplier audit prior First Article? That is to verify if there is a quality management system existing in their company...whether they have a system for quality of the product being delivered to your company. You don't want to have a supplier after they produced an excellent first article product, the next shipped product is not right and does not fit your company's requirement... Think about it. ... It happens.. ;)
Raffy :cool:

N

Naz78

Hey Raf!

Yep yep.

I am proposing that all these are done prior, questionnaire and system audit.

My only gripe is, two school of thoughts.

One of em is to give Conditional Approval to the suppliers (Jim's thoughts)

The other one is not to give them AVL status until they have completed one complete run of an order. (like Someshekkar mentioned)

My present organization never "heard" of Conditional Approval and they are of the direction to put these suppliers under AVL and then only u can give them a Purchase Order.

Coming from aerospace, going into AVL is pretty big deal as a supplier but I guess not in other industries? (i.e. going into AVL means "nothing")

R

RosieA

My company uses a designation of "trial Purchase Order" to buy the first article parts and then adds them to the AVL as approved after a successful completion of the first article.

Q

QAnalyst1

Re: Acception of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vender List) - How long?

It all depends upon the criticality of the article your vendor suppliers and you have to take a call within your purchasing procedure, when you would like to say him "Approved" and add the vendor in the approved list.
What you say in ...
... I would call it as 1st bulk supply approval or pilot production approval, where in you will see his capability to meet quality requirements in volume supplies and ability to meet all other packaging and delivery requirements.

A question has come up because of some personnel we have contracts with who used to be employees of the company. Do these people need to be evaluated according to our established criteria, and then be added to the ASL? They are considered a contract hire and no PO is cut. They are just paid as any other employee. Also, if we contract with a company for a specific job that we may never use again and no PO is cut, they are simply paid when the job is done, do these have to go through our supplier evaluation, and then be entered onto the ASL?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
A question has come up because of some personnel we have contracts with who used to be employees of the company. Do these people need to be evaluated according to our established criteria, and then be added to the ASL? They are considered a contract hire and no PO is cut. They are just paid as any other employee. Also, if we contract with a company for a specific job that we may never use again and no PO is cut, they are simply paid when the job is done, do these have to go through our supplier evaluation, and then be entered onto the ASL?

I would add both to your ASL. They are supplying you something from outside the company.
IF adding them to the ASL is a big task, consider reviewing it and pulling out some NVA steps...there usually are a few.

Top Bottom