Acceptance Procedure for Receiving Calibrated Equipment & Tools

Q

QualityDeb

I've been instructed to create a procedure for the inspection and approval of calibration certificates received from outside cal labs. About to start my normal google search but thought I'd start here first. I don't know if other companies I have worked for had one or not. Since there is not much to it other than verifying info and acceptance, it should not be too difficult. Maybe it should roll into an encumbersome procedure to include the process of monitoring calibration records, sending out equipment and tools, etc... but Boss always says K.I.S.S. ... any thoughts?

D

Duke Okes

Re: Procedure for receiving Calibrated Equip & Tools

How about just a checklist of what is to be checked/verified?

Q

QualityDeb

How about just a checklist of what is to be checked/verified?
A checklist would certainly work to make sure everything coming back from cal lab is checked and verified but there should be a procedure that includes filling out the checklist. Right now we have added that a signature and date of acceptance is required on the cert as it s rec'd and the certs are in a book to show proof. But still, a procedure is needed. Anyone have one out there that I could see as an example?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin

A checklist would certainly work to make sure everything coming back from cal lab is checked and verified but there should be a procedure that includes filling out the checklist. Right now we have added that a signature and date of acceptance is required on the cert as it s rec'd and the certs are in a book to show proof. But still, a procedure is needed. Anyone have one out there that I could see as an example?

The checklist is a work instruction in itself:agree1:
Why do you need a procedure to explain how to complete a form!:bonk:

What you do need though is to ensure that you have acceptance criteria. ISO 17025 labs do not say OK/NOT OK unless you define for them the acceptance criteria. I have seen many companies accepting certificates as OK without checking the readings.

Q

QualityDeb

The checklist is a work instruction in itself:agree1:
Why do you need a procedure to explain how to complete a form!:bonk:

What you do need though is to ensure that you have acceptance criteria. ISO 17025 labs do not say OK/NOT OK unless you define for them the acceptance criteria. I have seen many companies accepting certificates as OK without checking the readings.
We might be one of those companies, We are new to ISO and I'm finding a lot of gaps. I have only been with the company for a short time and I just inherited the whole calibration responsibility. I've never been involved with Calibration beyond checking for equip due, so I'm learning on the fly.
The certs state accuaracy either as a +/- measurement or MFR spec along with data sheet showing nominal-as found-as left-min-max and a check mark to show "in tolerance". Is this the acceptance criteria you speak of?

Auditors ask "Where's your procedure that tells you how to do that?" So "I've been trained to do so" is most always acceptable? Then you have to show evidence of training? Training record? I seem to get caught up in the procedure vs. training part of ISO.

So... anyone have any sample Cal. acceptance checklists out there that may give me a clear idea of what to create and include?

I appreciate all help I receive from everyone on Elsmar..... and Lord knows, I need all the help I can get.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Actually, I believe you have made a good observation on this.

I have discovered that "Review" means different things to different people. for some, it means just making sure a date, signature, and no blank spaces and such are on the form. Others, they check procedure, proper training level, legible values, etc.

I check all the above, plus applicable standards and procedures, assure printed data aligns with as found/as left statements from vendor, uncertainty/standards used information, etc.

This is just my opinion, and we all know what they're worth.:D I think it's worth having a procedure for standards. That one procedure addresses who do you send it to (approved vendors), how it should be packaged (very important for standard instrumentation), marking instrument out for calibration, checking equipment in, reviewing documentation, assessing out of tolerance condition, and returning to active service. The procedure can be very short, but at least you have a guidance document where everyone is doing it the same.

Then, you could (if you chose) have a checklist, router, etc. for the instrument when it is returned.

Whether you have a procedure or checklist is totally up to you, but assure that everyone is doing it consistently, and that the calibration certificates are being verified for the information essential to assess fitness for use, and potential non-conformity impact.:)

Q

QualityDeb

Thanks Brad M for your opinion... it kind of goes back to my original post, a procedure that includes all aspects of Calibration process but keep it short and sweet... a short little training class to go over the procedure and BAM done.... Back to searching for exsisting procedures to get ideas of what mine should say.... :tg:

zac2944

Involved In Discussions
Back to searching for exsisting procedures to get ideas of what mine should say.... :tg:

Did you ever find an example or come up with a procedure?

I'm in the same boat. I got a NADCAP finding because of a calibration cert error that should have been caught at Quality Approval, but certs are being signed and accepted without a complete review. Part of my corrective action is to write a procedure and train on how to review certs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

QualityDeb

I did get one from one of our other facilities.... I'm not sure how to post it here??? I can do that after I remove names and logos... and figure out how to do it...

S

samsung

You can also refer this web page for guidance on what you should look into while accepting calibration certificates.

Top Bottom