Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions
I was wondering if anyone could provide some more clarity on the requirement below from the MDR? It was always my interpretation that the requirement regarding providing complete access to the technical documentation of equivalent devices only applies to class III and implantables. This was my interpretation because paragraph 5 references paragraph 4. Paragraph 4 only applies to class III and implantables. However, recently I have heard some individuals interpret this to apply to all devices regardless of class.

Thanks,
ChrisX

Chapter VI Article 61
5.A manufacturer of a device demonstrated to be equivalent to an already marketed device not manufactured by him, may also rely on paragraph 4 in order not to perform a clinical investigation provided that the following conditions are fulfilled in addition to what is required in that paragraph:
— the two manufacturers have a contract in place that explicitly allows the manufacturer of the second device full access to the technical documentation on an ongoing basis, and — the original clinical evaluation has been performed in compliance with the requirements of this Regulation, and the manufacturer of the second device provides clear evidence thereof to the notified body.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
The purpose of Article 61 is give a situation where a clinical investigation is not required, when it would otherwise be required due to the device being implantable or class III. It is not intenteded to relate to any other part of the technical documenation

There is no requirement about access to the technical file of equivalent devices, as the manufacturer cannot be expected to ever have this. The manufacturer must however hold a complete technical file for their device regardless of classification - this has always been the case.

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for following up so quickly. It would seem that Article 61 paragraph 5 does require access to the technical documentation. It states " the two manufacturers have a contract in place that explicitly allows the manufacturer of the second device full access to the technical documentation on an ongoing basis, and". My question is does this apply only to class III and implants.

Thanks,
ChrisX

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
As I said - this only applies to the requirement to do a clinical investigation

The MDR requires that all class III and implantable devices undergo clinical investigation, Article 61(5) permits the manufacturer to forgo a clinical investigation if there is an equivalent device to which the manufacturer has access to the technical file, normally this would be your own equivalent device, but paragraph 5 recognises that there may be an occassion when the equivalent device is manufactured by another entity, therefore an agreement is put in place to access their technical file in lieu of conducting another clinical investigation. This applies to all class of devices

It is important to note that the article does not permit you to rely on a different technical file in lieu of your own - you must still have your own technical file

Thanks @pkost. I find this to be one of the most misunderstood parts of Equivalence. I too used to think that you would be looking to ask your competitors for all of their technical documentation and correct me if I wrong, that is not the meaning of this.

Instead, it should be looked at from the manufacturing perspective where two entities have a contractual commitment. Then there is also the case of a manufacturer using their own device to demonstrate Equivalence but I think that requires caution depending upon the device.

I believe that this is similar into what the FDA is trying to eliminate aka "predicate creep" . One device claims that it is equivalent (or a predicate, then another uses the same, and so on). Pretty soon, the predicate could potentially be a legacy device.

I appreciate any feedback, corrections or perhaps a different way of stating this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Computer access, password control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.1 Control of Production and service provision - Help with Work Instruction Access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Economic Operators, EU Market Access EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Richard Regalado Informational ISO makes available relevant BCMS standards free for online access Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
F ISO Certified companies - Is there a list of certified companies that I can access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Security and access in cGMP facilities Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
K EU MDD Class I Device market access / certification after 26th May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational Paper on open access – EU postmarket surveillance plans for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Demonstrate how sufficient levels of access to data is achieved - Claims of equivalence EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational US FDA – Expanded Access for Medical Devices - Investigational medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
J AS9104-1 Clause 18.1 (a) (b) - Organizations (contractor) shall be required to allow access to Tier 2 data AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Who should have access to Audit trail? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A EASA Easy Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness - June 2017 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
M Proposed System: Revision = Modification Date; Approval = Access Permissions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 46
R Height gauge to measure short hard to access heights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D minitab macro to pull access query with parameters Using Minitab Software 1
I How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
P HIPAA Privacy - Login password or USB Access key? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Computer System Access and Security Procedure example wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Database (Like ASSIST) to subscribe to & have access to new SAE-AS & ANSI standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L Intellectual Property Protection - Storage, Access, Distribution, etc ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
T Microsoft Access Database to create a Simple Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Basic Document Control Database (Excel/Access) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Does anyone use FMEA database in Access? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
R Protection of Records from Unauthorized Access or Alteration Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
Marc Archives digitize 19th century materials for 21st century access Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
AnaMariaVR2 USP Validation Documents - Free Online Access US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W User access to all new workmen employees for Training software Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
T Access to a particular Medical Device Electronic Communication Test Port IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Looking for CAPA Database for Access 2003 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
P Source Inspection vs. Right of Access clause in a Purchase Order - Differences AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
U PROBLEM: Probability of Resource Access Collision Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Access Document Control database wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L Access to Hospitals - Vendor (Supplier) Credentialing Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Manix Exporting Data from MS Access to MS Word or MS Excel Templates Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
K I.T. Management in Clause 4.2.3? Control of Computer Data Backup and Access Security ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T How do I control web-based asp forms/rpts that write to and pull from an Access DB Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Putting Data Macros in a Form Fields - Access 2010 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
S Cool Minitab Document 'Sample' - Help with FULL Version location/access? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Employee Access to various Documents of our QMS System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Ronen E Eudamed - Public Access - Directive 2007/47/EC preamble EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Developing an Access ECO Tracking Database - Need help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
A Calibration and PM Access Database Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
O Should Staff have Access to see Internal and/or CB Audit Results? Internal Auditing 5
K Free Access to ISO Magazines - Information on benefits of ISO standard The Reading Room 11