Accessability of Intranet Quality Manual

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
I need anyones thoughts on how they make their intranet QM accessable yet safeguard other information on a Supervisors PC. Do you use stand-alone stations just for viewing the QM. I have ours set up so it can be accessed on any networked PC here. Yet the Supervisors don't want just anyone walking up to their PC and accessing things. So I'm looking for other avenues to pursue to make the manual easily accessable, yet protect the PC from other users. What did I get myself into here!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

goose

We had similar problem; but it really existed before we started using electronic document document.

There was and is the risk that someone can possible use anyones PC.

What really sold the electronic scheme was they, the users, didn't have to keep their "big honkin" binders up todate.

E

energy

If your computer "owners" object to someone snooping around in their files, just have them hide the files. This option is available in Windows Explorer-View options. I use it at home to keep the grandchildren away from files that I prefer that they do not access. If they can't see them, they aren't curious. Of course, as with most things, there is a way around it. But the terminals are company property and should not contain information that would embarrass the company. In our particular situation, all user have their own place on the "users" drive that is password protected. Confidential stuff is stored there. Personnally, I would tell the "owners" that the terminals are company property and will be used to access the QM. Get any unauthorized (That's usually the real reason) stuff off the machine or hide it.
Hang tough

energy

[This message has been edited by energy (edited 18 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by energy (edited 18 June 2001).]

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Our shop floor is set up with a computer for each department to access the maintenance work order system. Supervisors & all staff have separate computers at their desks.

We're still struggling with the 'big honking binders' until I can get project priority raised; but I am looking at launching via intranet using Microsoft Explorer and Adobe Acrobat Reader (which are standard on all computers and non-license req. for acrobat reader only).

I keep looking to see if anyone comes across with a better way to keep control while allowing access.

J

James Gutherson

I must admit when I first saw this thread I thought, why do your supervisors want to hide aspects of the QMS from some users? I find it vital that the system is completly open and all information is available to everyone. This not only increases ownership of the system, but helps them do their job better and see that their efforts are making a difference.
But from some of the other responces I see the angle of protecting the system from changes. Is this what is being asked? If so I think by far the best solution is a web based system (HTML), or if printed layout control is necessary, then PDF files are great.

James Gutherson

G

Graeme

My key assumptions are that (1) you have a functional internal network, (2) the network has at least one file server, and (3) each person who uses the QMS material has access to the network through a single-user or shared PC.

If my assumptions are correct, then the answer is to put the file copies that everyone can access in a shared folder on the server. Everyone on the network except the document control person should have read-only access to that folder, and the document control person should have full access. The network operating system takes care of permissions and other security. That way everyone can use their own computers without bothering the supervisor. It makes document control a lot easier as well, and the web page menu for the documents becomes your "master list".

If you do not have a file server, then I strongly suggest getting one - for several reasons that are oustide the scope of this area. Unitl you get one, then put the PDF files you want people to see in a separate shared folder on the supervisor's PC. The supervisor would have full access, of course, and the access for everyone else should be read-only and only over the network.

I agree with your supervisors that other people should not be able to log on to a superviror's computer and be able to do random walks through all of the business and personnel management stuff they have. In every organization I have ever worked in, snooping around a supervisor's files is something that, when you get caught, you will not get a second chance to try it.

E

energy

Russ,
My problem is that I take what I read verbatum. Your post says that you want to allow the personnel to view the "Quality Manual". I saw no harm in Supervisors allowing someone to access the Quality Manual. But, the topic has spread into the accessing the quality management system and the possibility that unauthorized changes may occur as well as people viewing supervisor's confidential stuff. There are plenty of posts in various topics in the forums that have addressed this ad-nauseoum. You should consider purchasing a stand alone monitor as you mentioned, with read only rights. This is of course if you intend to put other documentation on you intranet system. I still feel that any confidential information be kept in Human Resources and not on a personal PC, Supervisor or not. We are not talking about the CEO's PC, are we?

energy

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
energy
The thought of using the stand alone PC's does seem like a good way to go. One thought was to use 5 strategically placed units just for the QM out on the floor. This would let the QM be accessed, and not risk anything on any of the Supervisors PC's. We may go with that or maybe some touchscreen units. Just have to see what the pres. will go for. I have write access reserved for me only, so that is not a problem here. And no, we only have this problem out on the floor with the shared, Supervisor PC's.
Thanks for your input.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Process diagram and intranet communication software Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
O Implementing Lean Intranet Sharepoint Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
O Company Intranet Library Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Designing a Documents Control System from scratch (in a php intranet) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Document Control - Does the Intranet Copy need to be Stamped "CONTROL COPY". ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D QMS (Quality Management System) on Intranet - Business Case ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Intranet Communication of Standards Guidelines - Copyright Aspects Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Suggestions on what to put on an Employee ISO 9001 Intranet page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B Making Visio files user friendly on a company intranet Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
M IS0 9001 and Health & Safety plus Food Safety Intranet Forms and Guides ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Can I publish a copy of ISO 9001:2000 on company intranet? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
M Intranet Documents in PDF - Disabling "save a copy" and "file save" in browsers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Can I put ISO Standards on our Company Intranet? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A Master List done on a Web Browser for an Intranet Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
Marc Visio vs. Smartdraw - Best software for flow charts on an intranet Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
R Moving to Intranet QM (Quality Manual and Documentation) - Recommendations? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
S Intranet HTML templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
S What is the best format for an Intranet Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
A Establishing an online documentation system using Intranet Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Interview with Director of Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 18
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Quality manual for automotive industry wanted Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1