Accessing data from separate worksheets in Minitab

S

statty

Hi,
Is it possible to access data from different worksheets in Minitab (like with relative addressing in Excel). For example I have data in two worksheets and would like to create a third worksheet using data from the other two such as adding a column of data from worksheet1 to a column from worksheet 2 and storing the result in worksheet3. Is this possible? Also, If I was to plot a scatter plot with multiple Y's based on data from different worksheets, is this possible?

Any suggestions are welcome,
Thanks!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,
Is it possible to access data from different worksheets in Minitab (like with relative addressing in Excel). For example I have data in two worksheets and would like to create a third worksheet using data from the other two such as adding a column of data from worksheet1 to a column from worksheet 2 and storing the result in worksheet3. Is this possible? Also, If I was to plot a scatter plot with multiple Y's based on data from different worksheets, is this possible?

Any suggestions are welcome,
Thanks!

Can someone with Minitab expertise help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

A

Allattar

Not as far as I have found.
Graphs and stats are generated on individual worksheets, not across worksheets.

The Merge worksheet tool will merge worksheets, but wont merge and stack if that is what you are after. You can merge worksheets and then stack after of course.

The old chestnut of copy and paste between worksheets is pretty easy though.
In keyboard shortcut terms rather than through the menus.
CTRL+N select new worksheet.
Select column number, eg C1 to select the column or range of coumns CTRL+C <copy> and CTRL+V <paste>. In case you hadnt found those windows defaults.

I hope that sounds reasonable, rather than some flashy way of combining data, that I can suggest a fairly simple answer as this.

S

steelejc15425

Allattar is correct that Minitab won't let you make a graph from multiple worksheets. Nor, as in Excel, is there a feature to access data from multiple worksheets. You can however, merge worksheets to create a new one, as you propose:
"I have data in two worksheets and would like to create a third worksheet using data from the other two such as adding a column of data from worksheet1 to a column from worksheet 2 and storing the result in worksheet3."

To find this in Minitab help, you have to know that Minitab calls this "merge worksheet". You can search for it there or you can open the Data > Merge Worksheets and look at the examples there.

It will let you either copy columns directly from two worksheets into another (the "include columns" option), or, if you have a column in common between the two worksheets, it will let you match up the rows (the "by columns" option). Note that once you make the third worksheet, changes to the other two won't change the data in the new worksheet.

If your data starts out in Excel, there are also some things you can do with ODBC where Minitab will read the current data from the Excel file every time that you open it.

Top Bottom