Accessory or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point

MDD_QNA

Involved In Discussions
We are working on a device/component or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point, to our main device. However, with all the possibilities/limitations that is ahead of us we are discussing whether or not it should be classified as an accessory or as a stand alone device (then it will be a class I MD) or a software w no medical purpose (which it is already).
Considering MDR, and the fact that we want to be able to sell the device as a stand alone device, is that feasible if it is classified as an accessory? I want to classify it as an accessory since I believe it is the easiest route. Can you direct me to any documents or information with regards to accessory? The only thing I can find is in the directive and in one meddev guidance.
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
Have a look at Article 2:
Definitions:
(2) ‘accessory for a medical device’ means an article which, whilst not being itself a medical device, is intended by its manufacturer to be used together with one or several particular medical device(s) to specifically enable the medical device(s) to be used in accordance with its/their intended purpose(s) or to specifically and directly assist the medical functionality of the medical device(s) in terms of its/their intended purpose(s);​

And Annex II 1.1
The technical documentation for your main device must contain "(h) a description of the accessories for a device, other devices and other products that are not devices, which are intended to be used in combination with it;"​

It can only be a device if it has its own medical purpose.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We are working on a device/component or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point, to our main device. However, with all the possibilities/limitations that is ahead of us we are discussing whether or not it should be classified as an accessory or as a stand alone device (then it will be a class I MD) or a software w no medical purpose (which it is already).
Considering MDR, and the fact that we want to be able to sell the device as a stand alone device, is that feasible if it is classified as an accessory? I want to classify it as an accessory since I believe it is the easiest route. Can you direct me to any documents or information with regards to accessory? The only thing I can find is in the directive and in one meddev guidance.
Thanks!
1. The MDD and MEDDEVs will soon be officially irrelevant to new devices, definitely to plain class 1.
2. Other than general advice (like @dgrainger provided) it's impossible to address your question, knowing practically nothing on how that SW is supposed to be used, what for, with what other objects etc.

MDD_QNA

Involved In Discussions
The software is supposed to be used with a patient positioning system and the software is intended to store data on how the patient is positioned and how to get the patient in the right position during the whole treatment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J IVD instrument as an accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Under MDR is a medical workstation a medical device or an accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
W HF surgery device accessory insulation requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Medical devices as an accessory from another manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Medical Device Accessory - Health Canada guidance / definition on what an accessory is Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Recall Effectiveness - Accessory to Medical Devices shipped through Distributors Customer Complaints 3
M Commercial tablet as an "accessory" for a medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S The difference between a Medical Device Accessory and Component Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
F Risk Analysis of a Medical Device Accessory ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M New Medical Device Accessory with New Function - Is this a major change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
JoCam Non-medical device accessory for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 27
M Missing Hardware in Accessory Kits Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Class I Medical Device Accessory with Actual Risk EU Medical Device Regulations 7
shimonv Feeler Gauge as a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Using Risk Management in ISO 10993 - Medical Device Accessory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
shimonv Which class I accessory information should be kept in the Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 6
shimonv EU classification for a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Q South Africa Class I Medical Device Accessory Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Accessory to a PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) system? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P EMC requirements for an accessory to a medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
somashekar FDA proposal on Medical Device Accessory Risk Assessment Other US Medical Device Regulations 15
C Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Medical Device and Accessory Establishment Registration and Listing Query Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Software as a Medical Device Accessory Software Quality Assurance 2
K Accessory - Definition of Accessory According to PMDA Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Standalone software - an accessory to medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Importance of Medical Device Accessory Design Controls Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Regulation Process for Add on Accessory to an Existing Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Components, Accessory, or Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
Q FDA Medical Device Accessory Packaging Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
Y Medical Device Accessory Labeling Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Z IEC 60601-1-2 for very simple Medical Device Accessory IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K USB Charger Adapter/USB Cable - A Medical Device Accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Discussion about Accessory definition in the proposal of new EU regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Definition Medical Device Accessory - FDA Definition of Accessory Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
J Packaging and User Manual for Medical Device and Accessory CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S OEM Supplier with ISO 9001 Labels Medical Device Accessory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Dialysis Machine is CE Marked as a Medical Device - Accessory or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Canada Device Licence of Accessory - Ultrasound Therapy Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
D Requirement for Expiration Date on Medical Device Accessory Labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Software contained in a Medical Device Accessory IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
H Clinical Evaluation Template for an Electrosurgical Device or Accessory Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Defining what is a Medical Device Accessory and what isn't - Much Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Y How can an Optional Accessory of a Medical Device be sold alone? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5