Accessory to a PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) system?

E

esalsan

Dear covers,

This is a theoretical situation. Lets say I am a manufacturer of a piece of software that generates invoices based on diagnostic tests performed. My software is not a medical device (only intended to generate invoices) and can obtain the information I need from many sources, one of which could be a PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) in a hospital.

The PACS is classified as a medical device.

My software does then include some lines of code (perhaps wrapped into a component) that allows the information I need to be obtained from the PACS.

I am getting some discussions around whether the software/component would be an accessory to the PACS so based on the definition of accessory in the directive:
- it is not intended specifically by us to be used together with the PACS
because: an operator could enter the information manually and we can also connect with many other types of financial systems.
- The PACS works as intended by its manufacturer without the need or our software, i.e., in the words of the directive: it does not 'enable the device to be used in accordance with the use of the device intended by the manufacturer of the device'.

Is this correct?

Note: I have interpreted the 'it' in bold below to mean 'the device' in the definition of accessory:
any article which whilst not being a device is intended specifically by its manufacturer to be used together with a device to enable it to be used in accordance with the use of the device intended by the manufacturer of the device.

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

esalsan

Thank you very much for your opinions. And now the "what if(s)"...

Would the situation change if our software could only accept data from a PACS but would work with any brand (from any manufacturer) or model of PACS?

I don't think that in this situation our software would be an accessory either because: is not intended to be use with a specific device but rather with a type of devices; and also, neither of those PACS need our software to function as intended by their manufacturers.

Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Is my software an accessory? Telecommunication between HCP and patients EU Medical Device Regulations 10
J IVD instrument as an accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
MDD_QNA Accessory or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Under MDR is a medical workstation a medical device or an accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
W HF surgery device accessory insulation requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Medical devices as an accessory from another manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Medical Device Accessory - Health Canada guidance / definition on what an accessory is Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Recall Effectiveness - Accessory to Medical Devices shipped through Distributors Customer Complaints 3
M Commercial tablet as an "accessory" for a medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S The difference between a Medical Device Accessory and Component Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
F Risk Analysis of a Medical Device Accessory ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
M New Medical Device Accessory with New Function - Is this a major change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
JoCam Non-medical device accessory for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 27
M Missing Hardware in Accessory Kits Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Class I Medical Device Accessory with Actual Risk EU Medical Device Regulations 7
shimonv Feeler Gauge as a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Using Risk Management in ISO 10993 - Medical Device Accessory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
shimonv Which class I accessory information should be kept in the Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 6
shimonv EU classification for a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Q South Africa Class I Medical Device Accessory Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
P EMC requirements for an accessory to a medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
somashekar FDA proposal on Medical Device Accessory Risk Assessment Other US Medical Device Regulations 15
C Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Medical Device and Accessory Establishment Registration and Listing Query Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Software as a Medical Device Accessory Software Quality Assurance 2
K Accessory - Definition of Accessory According to PMDA Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
K Standalone software - an accessory to medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Importance of Medical Device Accessory Design Controls Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Regulation Process for Add on Accessory to an Existing Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Components, Accessory, or Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
Q FDA Medical Device Accessory Packaging Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
Y Medical Device Accessory Labeling Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Z IEC 60601-1-2 for very simple Medical Device Accessory IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K USB Charger Adapter/USB Cable - A Medical Device Accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Discussion about Accessory definition in the proposal of new EU regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Definition Medical Device Accessory - FDA Definition of Accessory Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
J Packaging and User Manual for Medical Device and Accessory CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S OEM Supplier with ISO 9001 Labels Medical Device Accessory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Dialysis Machine is CE Marked as a Medical Device - Accessory or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Canada Device Licence of Accessory - Ultrasound Therapy Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
D Requirement for Expiration Date on Medical Device Accessory Labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Software contained in a Medical Device Accessory IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
H Clinical Evaluation Template for an Electrosurgical Device or Accessory Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Defining what is a Medical Device Accessory and what isn't - Much Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 8